The Student Room Group

How do you walk around in heels all day?

I had to walk around in heels all day today, in town... (wasn't my choice fyi) and it killed! the shoes fitted me perfectly and they were comfortable at first but then the balls of my feet started to hurt etc. and every step i almost winced... i did manage it but it was sucha relief when i changed into my flats and got a promised foot massage...

celebs seem to do it all the time... what got me through the day was victoria beckham and her inability to wear flats...

how do you do it?!?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have these wedge boots (absolute bargain - £8 from Tesco!) which are about 3 inches and unbelievably comfortable, so I tend to live in those! :smile: As for the type of heels which celebrities wear, I have absolutely no idea! I invested in some cushion pads from the pound shop, which are okay, my feet start to ache after about 2 - 3 hours rather than just 1 hour without the pads, but other than that, I'm just as confused as you are! x
Reply 2
Original post by TanyaZoexx
I have these wedge boots (absolute bargain - £8 from Tesco!) which are about 3 inches and unbelievably comfortable, so I tend to live in those! :smile: As for the type of heels which celebrities wear, I have absolutely no idea! I invested in some cushion pads from the pound shop, which are okay, my feet start to ache after about 2 - 3 hours rather than just 1 hour without the pads, but other than that, I'm just as confused as you are! x

wedges are fine, i have really comfy wedge boots, but these were boots with like a thin heel, i think it's because the weight is less spread out with thin heels!
Reply 3
Oooh nice! I think you're right! No idea how people do it, looking around at people on nights out, and the shoes they're wearing, just makes my feet hurt looking at them!
Reply 4
I don't. Too much effort :P
I'd really like to know too!! We have a teacher at our college who wears stilletto heels all day at college and walks just fine :O
I can't manage even half a day let alone the whole day!! :frown: By lunch time I'm sulking, and feel like my feet are going to break at the ankles and the underside of my feet are just aching and burning. :'(
So please those of you who walk in heels as if they were flats tell us your secrects and some tips :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Bellissima
I had to walk around in heels all day today, in town... (wasn't my choice fyi) and it killed! the shoes fitted me perfectly and they were comfortable at first but then the balls of my feet started to hurt etc. and every step i almost winced... i did manage it but it was sucha relief when i changed into my flats and got a promised foot massage...

celebs seem to do it all the time... what got me through the day was victoria beckham and her inability to wear flats...

how do you do it?!?!

Like who? Probably most of them are actors or singers/dancers, the former are professional fakers and the latter have had a lot of practice putting weight on their feet so don't notice. Oh, and they probably get custom made shoes.
Reply 7
I think you get used to them if you do it all the time ... I started a "proper" job in September and started wearing heels every day, and it killed at first, but I'm getting more and more used to it.

I still don't get stilettos though. Feels like the heels are going to break off ... also, really high heels I can barely get on! My feet don't want to bend like that.
Reply 8
Its a gradual process. You can't go from wearing flats 24/7 to wearing 5" stilettos and not expect your feet to cane after a few hours. Wedges to higher wedges to smaller stilettos to bigger ones. Also having well made shoes & sole savers are a given if you want to wear them all the time.

<3 x

EDIT: Why the neg?
(edited 11 years ago)
Party feet gel cushions. Glue them in if they keep coming out.
Reply 10
Original post by Bellissima

how do you do it?!?!

It ****s your feet up after a while if you always only wear very high heels - it's something to do with the muscle IIRC, and it means wearing flats actually becomes painful because the foot isn't used to being stretched that way.

I wear a low heel during the week for work, and my feet don't ache because they're properly fitted and they weren't super cheap. I don't touch spiky heels or those 5 inch+ ones.. I'm tall enough as is and I've never seen anyone walk attractively in them. They just totter about and their ankles look so fragile, it's horrible :nooo:
When I wear heels,after an hour or two I end up walking like I've been shot in the thigh. Not an attractive look :tongue: It's flats all the way for me, and congrats to the girls who can walk in their heels all day
Reply 12
No pain, no gain.
I don't, they're considered inappropriate in the construction industry and would just make things difficult when cycling to uni.
i dont, i just wear converses or flats :smug:
Original post by LETSJaM
Its a gradual process. You can't go from wearing flats 24/7 to wearing 5" stilettos and not expect your feet to cane after a few hours. Wedges to higher wedges to smaller stilettos to bigger ones. Also having well made shoes & sole savers are a given if you want to wear them all the time.

<3 x

This this this this this :biggrin:.

This is the best advice i've seen written on here for getting used to heels :smile:
Heels hurt like **** if you wear them only occasionally. Wear them all the time and you can walk, run or stand up in them all day and you'll be fine. The difficult bit is the bit in between, where you have to keep going with them even though they're painting you. IMO it's worth going through that pain barrier because it means you can wear them as much as you like without problems, whereas if you don't you will surely want to wear them at least occasionally and when you do, you'll always be in agony.
Reply 17
Whilst I don't personally like massive stilettos, I wear heels maybe three days out of the week. I started with lower heels with a more solid, block heel and gradually moved a bit higher. Wedges are awesome as your weight is more evenly distributed, and you should always take note of how elevated your foot is when buying a new pair: the flatter your foot is in the shoe, the more comfortable you'll be. A good example of this is the Jeffrey Campbell Lita boot (Google for pictures). They look treacherous but are apparently very comfortable and easy to walk in as the platform offsets the huge heel.
Reply 18
I have no idea how/ why people do it. It's pretty unnatural really. I had a friend who used to wear heels all the time (literally on an everyday basis) and she has done some irreversible damage to her calf muscles from the strain of it. Seems silly to me!
Reply 19
With great difficulty...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending