The Student Room Group

'City Travel Review' experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Thanks for posting your detailed clarification. I was also on a CTR project and also had a similar experience. At first I got some emails and some very nice people that contacted me but then I got so much spam and others contacting me with 1 sentence emails like? 'Hi I was looking for some details about the project, can you let me know?' I now have a full time position so just dont have time to answer these kind of mails. I had my name taken off the list recently so thankfully these mails now come seldomly. To let people know if you don't get a mail from me please don't take it personally but I just don't have the time.

FYI- This thread is now quite old. It used to be used by some past project members for setting up reunions and communication after the project and then developed to passing on info to future members to take pressure off past members inboxes but now it gets traffic from those that have never ever been on any of the projects which makes little sense? My advice to anyone that wishes to get into any of the projects is also just to check the official info if there are any spots remaining this year.:redface:

Original post by robertwoo
ok ok. So now to put the record straight once and for all! Here is my part.

I read thru most of the comments and I don't really get why people don't simply just contact ctr directly?

I was on the Berlin project and at the end of the project we had the choice of whether to pass on our contact details to any future project members. My very big mistake and a a handful of others. Got a ton of messages from random people asking all sorts of questions they could just get directly from ctr. As we don't work for ctr couldn't deal with all the incomings and spam and am still forwarding them on.

So here is my piece. I really loved it! I applied pretty late in the year so I had no choice on location but would have accepted any. Got Berlin as was biggest and only place left. Is definitely quite competitive to get on the project and so many people apply really really early! i was really late compared with the others. It is a more authentic experience and I only found out about it from a couple of friends working in the Union. They definitely don't advertise big as I searched 7 complete weeks straight looking for something similar or even cheaper! News - doesn't exisit. Well I never found it. I needed the experience as a short term placement for my degree. You can get funding for the project, used to via Leonardo Da Vinci funding or similar erasmus style funding but this is usually for longer experiences but you can sometimes find funding thru the careers library or employer. I got only 100 which was refunded and backdated. Some of the US guys got credits for the project whatever that means. Though I think most people paid themselves as funding was more stress like waiting for a student loan to come. They either partially fund living costs like accommodation if the project is accepted under the uni conditions. some paid the project and then got some refund from funding org. Thing with ctr is that they are gonna fill the places anyway so you have to be quick. However they are selective which is cool as then the team is more fun to work with. Is not just for uni students as we also had quite a few graduates. Also Some US guys, couple of canadians and some Aussies on the project. I now have a short term internship near Berlin thanks to a little help from the experience and get to use some German so I'm biased. Not in travel writing but is creative. Though would definitely like to move into this kind of field in the future or similar. Best job in the world. :rolleyes: My contribution over.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Airfairy
That's exactly what I was thinking as soon as I started reading. All these accounts with names conveniently in their usernames and they all know each other and use the same sort of language. Strange.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're still going haha, even since I posted this.

This is a SCAM. I do not recommend anyone doing this and would highly recommend the mods banning them.

The course MAY be legit but their marketing tactics are 100% scam so if they're willing to do that for a few silly forum posts, I wouldn't exactly trust them with a whole (very vague) trip.
Reply 102
:smile:Info to any past project members - assuming this thread is no longer really used for many past ctr project members. For any information on reunions, meet ups and get togethers - please email me. If you don't have my email - send a message to ctr who will pass on. These are unofficial reunions organised by moi. Thanks!

Original post by daniel_a
Thanks for posting your detailed clarification. I was also on a CTR project and also had a similar experience. At first I got some emails and some very nice people that contacted me but then I got so much spam and others contacting me with 1 sentence emails like? 'Hi I was looking for some details about the project, can you let me know?' I now have a full time position so just dont have time to answer these kind of mails. I had my name taken off the list recently so thankfully these mails now come seldomly. To let people know if you don't get a mail from me please don't take it personally but I just don't have the time.

FYI- This thread is now quite old. It used to be used by some past project members for setting up reunions and communication after the project and then developed to passing on info to future members to take pressure off past members inboxes but now it gets traffic from those that have never ever been on any of the projects which makes little sense? My advice to anyone that wishes to get into any of the projects is also just to check the official info if there are any spots remaining this year.:redface:
Reply 103
To add to this info to help any future members - There are now only extended places for Berlin and reserves for Madrid and Edi Sept.

For any Past project members reading this (very few now I guess) depending on which year you were on project for info on get togethers please contact myself or ctr.

Original post by citytravelreview
CTR Team - Final Official announcement regarding 2014 projects. :wink:

To get the word out, we have our final following update for all CTR Projects in 2014.

CTR Edinburgh Spring Applications - The team has now been selected and applications for 2014 are now over.
CTR Lyon Summer Applications - The team has now been selected and applications for 2014 are now over.
CTR Barcelona Summer Applications - The team has now been selected and applications for 2014 are now over.
CTR Madrid Summer Applications & CTR Edinburgh Summer applications - Applications close once all team members have been selected- likely to be very soon.
CTR Berlin Summer Applications - Applications close once all team members have been selected which is also likely to be very soon

Reserve lists are currently available for some dates for a short period only

Please note that all forums (including this one) and information sites/pages about CTR are all unofficial sources and we are in most cases not tied to any of these sources, therefore we cannot guarantee accuracy or answer any queries promptly to external sites as we do not have the resources in place or even allocated time to regulary follow so many differing sources. Each year our projects differ slightly so for the most up-to-date information please either check out our website, or sources tied to our website like our official facebook site and official twitter page. Even better is to simply contact us directly via email.

Please note - regarding CTR projects for 2015 - Applications are not released until October 2014.

Thanks for your time and all the positive support from all that have been involved in the projects over the years!!!:smile:
Reply 104
Original post by james-84
To add to this info to help any future members - There are now only extended places for Berlin and reserves for Madrid and Edi Sept.

For any Past project members reading this (very few now I guess) depending on which year you were on project for info on get togethers please contact myself or ctr.

Thanks James will do and will pass on the info!
Reply 105
Original post by lost_in_travel
Am a little gutted I can't hit Berlin again this year due to unseen circumstances, but hopefully again one day soon. Wishing all those going on Berlin in 2013 luck! Big shout and hugs out to all those in Adalbert 63.:smile:

Throwback Berlin. Same Same but different! Smile :wink:
Original post by james-84
:smile:Info to any past project members - assuming this thread is no longer really used for many past ctr project members. For any information on reunions, meet ups and get togethers - please email me. If you don't have my email - send a message to ctr who will pass on. These are unofficial reunions organised by moi. Thanks!

Thank you James!

Most future meetups are arranged unofficially. For quite a few of our past project members the email records we have quickly become out-of-date as a lot of our past project members give us their student emails for our records on application. Most ex-ctr members are no longer students so it becomes a more difficult to task over time to keep in contact with all.

For any unofficial meet ups we are now able to post on our fbook/twitter page or if enquiring about a reunion just let us know via email and we'll pass on your email to anyone we know arranging anything.

For any queries on the projects please do let us know directly as the forums are not affiliated with us, quickly become out-of date and cannot be guaranteed for accuracy.

Update on applications

CTR Lyon, Barcelona, Edi March - Sorry we are no longer accepting applications for these projects.

CTR Berlin, Edi Sept and Madrid. Berlin has some extended available places along with Edi Sept and Madrid for a short period only.

Unfortunately once applications end for these projects we cannot accept any applications until around Sept/Oct for 2015 projects.

Thanks!

CTR Team
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 107
If there's anyone who has GENUINELY taken part in this project (in particular, Berlin) then please PM, I'd love to have a chat and ask a few questions about what the project involves and your experiences. Thanks!
Reply 108
Hi, I'm also interested in taking part in the CTR project, particularly Berlin, for those who have worked with CTR before, can you tell what the fees are ? I can't find the price anywhere ! I'd rather have this information before I apply
Reply 109
Hey! I have recently gained a place on the Edinburgh CTR project. If someone has taken part in one of these projects could you possibly mail me with a few details of your experience? I am a little weary and the cost is so high for a student (therefore I cannot afford to take any risks!). Thanks :smile:
Reply 110
Hi!

Apologies for interrupting your conversation.

As most of you at some point of your studies, I need a little bit of help from you. To finish up my master thesis, I need to get a around 40 more responses for my survey regarding the image of China as tourism destination. If you could spare some time answering a couple of questions and watching some videos, I would be very very grateful. Here's a link to the survey: https://app.evalandgo.com/s/?id=JTlDbSU5NWo=&a=JTk3cSU5N2slOUM=

Thank you so much for your help and apologies, once again, for interrupting the conversations.
Is the city travel review job paid or is it on a voluntary basis ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, just found out I've been accepted on the 3-29th August project in Berlin! Keen to know if anyone's doing the same project!

Scottie, 22, Edinburgh
N.B - I am no longer organising any further reunions for this year, thanks to those who contacted me. Assume someone else will take over in 2015. For further info contact ctr directly. Thanks!
Reply 114
I've been accepted on to this programme to and I'm also from Edinburgh! Looking forward to it!
Reply 115
Original post by EPearce7
Hi, I'm doing the Barcelona project beginning 1st week of August. Is anyone else doing this?
I'm excited/nervous haha would be great to meet some other people before hand :smile:

Emma xx

Hi!
I'm doing the Barcelona project too!

I've been looking everywhere for someone who is doing it also.

My name is Eme by the way.

xx
Hi, I'm doing the CTR Placement this August. Did anyone manage to find funding from outside their uni? Mine won't cover the fee.

Quick Reply

Latest