The Student Room Group

DO women expect to be chatted up in public places

Scroll to see replies

I think I would die of shock of somebody tried to chat me up tbh
Reply 61
Original post by Foo.mp3
Err no, can't say I do. I've only chatted one woman up on the tube and it was all very civilised, her being an intimidatingly attractive older, latino, lawyer :top2:

It takes a lot of bottle to strike up conversation with a randomer in a confined space with no opportunity to escape and a captive audience; it takes a slightly abnormal person to go one better and do it across a carriage with a raised voice o suttin! :tongue:

Happened to my friend earlier this year after a party. :lol:
Reply 62
Original post by Foo.mp3
Err no, can't say I do. I've only chatted one woman up on the tube and it was all very civilised, her being an intimidatingly attractive older, latino, lawyer :top2:

It takes a lot of bottle to strike up conversation with a randomer in a confined space with no opportunity to escape and a captive audience; it takes a slightly abnormal person to go one better and do it across a carriage with a raised voice o suttin! :tongue:

No it doesnt, you are mixing it up with wrestling a bear. It simply takes a takes a general disregard for privacy and personal introspection. Thats why drunk tramps walk up to you in the street and try and strike up a conversation without a hesitation. That isnt down to bravery.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3

They lack any one/combination of: social morays,

Spoiler

There's a time and place for flirting, I don't think most women expect nor want to be chatted up in public places when they're going about their daily lives minding their own business.
Reply 65
Original post by Foo.mp3
+ having to facedown rejection for an indefinite period. Most would argue that this takes bottle mate, unless you're a sociopath..

They lack any one/combination of: social morays, social capital, self respect, common decency, the inhibition enhancement of the common family unit mode of (anti)social living, they're also surrounded by strangers most of the time, have to live by their wits and are more compelled to speak to strangers than others :beard:

..or they just dont give a toss about being annoying
Original post by Jelkin
I know - thought about writing that but it seemed unnecessarily detailed so I just wrote "the same sort of thing" because I figured men probably wouldn't be that chuffed about being chatted up by someone they found unattractive.

Just because you're not chuffed doesn't mean you're creeped out. I@m usually just indifferent.
Reply 67
I don't mind. I think it's hilariously cute.

One guy once asked to see my ID (he worked behind a counter) then he proceeded to tell me I was his age and he was a Scorpio too.
Reply 68
Original post by Foo.mp3
Wonder whether an normal looking guy has ever had any success resorting to star signs.. :holmes: I'm guessing not. Only time I'd do so is if I were to make up some deliberately dubious sounding spiel :awesome:

I doubted highly he was my age. He looked about 17. It was so awkwardly hilarious.
Reply 69
Original post by Foo.mp3
Heh, bless him. Would you ordinarily take a guy seriously if he started spouting crap about star signs? Standard response: 'must be a fag' no?

I'd humour him but secretly be thinking "Please leave me alone, nutty,". Don't mind people talking to me in public but I'd prefer a hello, how are you to 'So your moon is in Pluto,'
Original post by thompsonic7
I've never been chatted up so I can't really discuss how it feels but I certainly wouldn't expect anything- I'm usually focused on whatever I'm doing when I'm out and assume others are too.

I have noticed the unfair double standards when it comes to making advances- that anyone unnattractive or average looking is assumed to be creepy and pervy whereas often they are nicer and more genuine than their aesthetically pleasing counterparts.

How you doin'? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending