Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Anyone know how to become a comedian?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually think I'm all that funny but all my friends do and one of my close friends told me straight out to just become a comedian when I'm older. Anyone know how to break into the industry? I have nigh-on no experience in any stand-up and really don't have that many one-liners, in fact the only thing that makes people laugh is that I'm 100% retard. I don't think that. I just get the feeling from everyone else. But they just say I'm funny and that's that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go to open mic nights on the regular until you get noticed

the rest is history
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Make video postings on youtube and see what kind of comments you get. Also promote video postings through your own social network like asking your friends to like it and post it on twitter. This is a great way to see if you really like to be a stand up comedian and whether the audience thinks your funny or not. Nowadays with the internet there are several ways to breakthrough, not just the conventional way of open mic.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you at university? Because (I think this is the case anyway, I'm not at uni myself) there are comedy-societies you can join which do stand up and impro and stuff like that, that's how loads of comedians get noticed. If your not, there's probably lots of open-mic stuff you can do around. Also, try youtube videos

you don't necessarially need to be like a normal, punchline comedian to do well - Rowan Atkinson's done pretty well as Mr Bean, yet I don't remeber him cracking a single joke
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the comment about youtube. expand your audience, your social media presence and if you are making online content, think of a hook to make yourself appealing.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Learn from Dave Chappelle.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Make me laugh without dropping your pants.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Audition for some entertainment agencies that work comedians.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pnorm)
    I don't actually think I'm all that funny but all my friends do and one of my close friends told me straight out to just become a comedian when I'm older. Anyone know how to break into the industry? I have nigh-on no experience in any stand-up and really don't have that many one-liners, in fact the only thing that makes people laugh is that I'm 100% retard. I don't think that. I just get the feeling from everyone else. But they just say I'm funny and that's that.
    You've got to work on a routine. Being funny with your mates is not the same as stand up comedy. Study the best there is and go to open mic nights to test the waters. Good luck!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Be aware that there are many more comedians on the pub/club circuit than a few years ago and so you will have to be very good to stand a chance of succeeding.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 30, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.