Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Local Labour a Disgrace.

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have the benefit of an outsider's view of the local politics in my area, because I deliver leaflets for a Libdem friend whom I owe a few favors for. Anyway, for a number of years there has been a war between Labour and the Libdems. There has been numerous propaganda leaflets, mainly from people from Labour. My friend is gay and he has been on the receiving end of homophobia from the Labour candidates. They purblished leaflets about him; things that were all lies. Labour have lied in their leaflets, allegations that firestations were set to close when they weren't. They are resorting to dirty tactics in the run-up to the local elections.

When the people in my area became aware of the application to allow waste tipping, the Labour councillors did not listen to the people. The Libdems blocked the decision and even picketed outside the site. No Labour councillor to be seen.

Two Labour councillors are on a good make; they btoh get a big allowance from the party, and yet only one of them are standing. One of them was ejected from the party because of fraud; cash for favors.

The person standing in St Helens for Labour spoke up for an area he wasn't standing in; he cannot get elected now in his own area.

One leaflet this week from Labour features a certain member whom no-one has ever heard of. They make promises to do this and this, but you never see them when things need doing.

The person who had defected to Labour from the Conservatives - a billionaire - is standing for an area he doesn't even live in!

Every Labour leaflet brought out features slurs and lies attacking the Libdems, misleading the local people by confusing Local with General politics in a bid to profit from votes.

Throughout the year, whenever residence are upset or concerned about local issues, a Labour councillor is nowhere to be seen. The amount of work my Libdem friend does is phenomenal.

When the elections come round Labour suddenly appear from out of the woodwork.

They even lie when you ask them, as I did an hour ago, why you only see them at election times. I asked him why when the hospital was set to close why only Libdems put a stop to it? Why when the abondoned landfill site was about to be re-opened to use, only the libdems protested against it, and Labour wanted it to go ahead, against the decisions and cocnerns of the local people.

Many people vote Labour here because it is traditional.

Do we have rot at the core?

It is unfair that Labour in their disgrace resort to such tactics, hope to get voted, and do zero for the local people which they represent.

Now the Local Libdem candidates, tainted by Clegg's decision to join ranks with the Tories in Govn't, will lose seats in these areas, allowing the disgraced Labour to take the town hall and other areas.

I'm not aligned to any particular party; I don't even vote.

So is this also the situation near you? Perhaps Libdems in your area are like Labour in mine. Should we allow for such dirty tactics? Is it healthy? Does it suggest that from Local to General the politics of this country is thoroughly corrupt, perhaps even immoral?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my experience all parties are intrinsically corrupted. I've canvassed myself and the most valuable thing a member of the public can give a party is their vote. You'll find politicians will do literally anything to obtain it. The problem with politics is that it is most accessible to those with money, status etc. There are good people who want to try and do their best for their constituents but to get to the top you end up doing the most abhorrent things. However i think that smear campaign you have mentioned in your post is absolutely disgusting.

Whats the difference between a dead cat and a dead politician on the motorway?

A dead cat has skid marks around it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Local Labour in my area is an absolute joke. They have put up an asian candidate in an area where the BNP won the last time. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what the majority of the local electorate will think about this. The only other party to have ever won this seat is the Labour Party, they are the only ones who can compete with the BNP around here. Their choice of candidate has pretty much ensured that we will end up with a BNP councillor, and all be condemned as racists by the local paper, once again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Local politics is, regrettably, increasingly the holdout of the corrupt and self-interested on an enormously greater scale than national politics could ever dream.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sums up the Labour party from its top to its bottom there.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    In Southampton you may have heard over the last few months that there was a long strike as a result of dispute on pay between binmen and the council. The (Tory) council said that they have to reduce wages somewhat to avoid making a load of people redundant. The local Labour policy on this issue has been to reduce the amount of bin collections by half, to once every two weeks instead of every week. It's the most idiotic policy I've ever heard of. Obviously, if the binmen suddenly have half the amount of work to do, either half of them will be laid off or their wages will have to come down even more. Labour have now done a U-turn on the policy. I shudder to think that whoever came up with that bright idea could actually have a position of power in a month's time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Local councils have no accountability anyway (subject to corruption).
    That's why we should have one accountable elected mayor which hopefully some of the largest cities in the UK will vote for in May.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    In Southampton you may have heard over the last few months that there was a long strike as a result of dispute on pay between binmen and the council. The (Tory) council said that they have to reduce wages somewhat to avoid making a load of people redundant. The local Labour policy on this issue has been to reduce the amount of bin collections by half, to once every two weeks instead of every week. It's the most idiotic policy I've ever heard of. Obviously, if the binmen suddenly have half the amount of work to do, either half of them will be laid off or their wages will have to come down even more. Labour have now done a U-turn on the policy. I shudder to think that whoever came up with that bright idea could actually have a position of power in a month's time.
    Atleast the tories are being pragmatic and actually stating why they would do such a policy, and the intentions seem good. I have to admit, as much as I dislike the central tory govt, atleast their objectives, and their motives, are honest, they tell you what they will do, and they are trying to make things better.

Labour's policy in that respect is more extreme than the tories, and like the opposition, they would be, and if you sift through all the anti-tory opposition spin my the Front benchers, their policies are the same as the tories. And I think in this case they've tried go even more off the chart just to appear different to the boys in blue.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Many people vote Labour here because it is traditional.
    And that's what its like round my county, aswell as a lot of labour areas aswell, even if other choices were better, they would still blindly support them, a) because of propoganda, b) because of a history of propoganda, c) thatcher/Tories, d) can't think for themselves.

A problem.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Local labour in my area is a joke too.

<3 x

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.