Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really stressing about money during uni :(

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Basically..
    I'm starting at Hertfordshire Uni in September this year, and I will be continuing to live at home (a 45 minute drive away).

The course I'm doing means that I wont be able to get a part-time job alongside my degree, because I will be on call at my placement.

My course is paid for by the NHS, and I will get a £1000 grant every year from the NHS.

Because I'll be living at home, and due to my parents financial situation, I'm not able to get any student loan, so basically I will be living on £1000 a year. I wont be paying rent, and my parents will still support me with food etc.

Because I will be driving to and from uni every day, I will be doing 2000 miles a month, costing me £70 a week in petrol.

By doing the maths, the £1000 wont even cover 1/3 of my petrol costs, and I will need a lot more money to get myself through uni (car insurance, cloths, entertainment etc).

Does anyone know of any other way of getting extra money for uni? Maybe a company that deals with student loans as I cannot get one through the government?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My advice would have been to check with your place of study if you qualify for any further bursaries or grants. I've also heard of bursaries and grants for students in difficult financial situations - I'd suggest talking to your student services, they'll be able to offer advice and help with any potential options you could apply for.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get a student overdraft that should cover it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patchey1000)
    You can get a student overdraft that should cover it
    But I'm going to need approx another £3000 per year, would that be the only way of getting it?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotteeee<3)
    But I'm going to need approx another £3000 per year, would that be the only way of getting it?
    That's all I can think of, you could look at getting a intrest free credit card and use that to buy fuel but could end up costing more if you can't pay it back

I've just reread your first post are you sure you cant get a student loan?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patchey1000)
    That's all I can think of, you could look at getting a intrest free credit card and use that to buy fuel but could end up costing more if you can't pay it back

I've just reread your first post are you sure you cant get a student loan?
    Yeah I'm sure. I filled in all my details and because I'm doing a midwifery course I'm not elligable
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you qualify for a student loan?
    If it is due to parental income then surely your parents are expected to help you out - I'm paying for my child's accommodation whilst they live off their minimum maintenance loan which is all they qualify for. I understand that a part-time job would be difficult, can you negotiate helping out at home (ironing/gardening) for extra money?
    You are lucky that your course is paid for by the NHS and that you can live at home. If you can get a bank loan then you will still qualify with less debt than most students.
    Are there other students that you can car share with & share petrol costs? Is driving the most economical way to travel?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1mum)
    Why don't you qualify for a student loan?
    If it is due to parental income then surely your parents are expected to help you out - I'm paying for my child's accommodation whilst they live off their minimum maintenance loan which is all they qualify for. I understand that a part-time job would be difficult, can you negotiate helping out at home (ironing/gardening) for extra money?
    You are lucky that your course is paid for by the NHS and that you can live at home. If you can get a bank loan then you will still qualify with less debt than most students.
    Are there other students that you can car share with & share petrol costs? Is driving the most economical way to travel?
    My parents will be able to help me out a little bit but I cant expect them to pay for the thousands that I'm going to need over the 3 years. I sometimes babysit but that is only once every couple of months, maybe I could advertise my babysitting a bit more? Does a bank loan not come with high interest rates etc? My teachers always told me to steer clear of a bank loan :confused: And I wont know about car share until I start uni, so hopefully something comes out of that.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    may i ask why you cant get a student loan? i swear everyones entitled to some basic one even if the parents are on a high income?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm agree with advice's 1mum . My family isn't well-to-do. My parents borrow money to cover my tuition every year.I have a past-time job in the coffee bar to cover little spending.I will study hard to win a scholarship and nice job future. You know if me do it , the debt isn't worrying problem.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Copied from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/DG_171537

Healthcare professional courses
    NHS bursaries are available for certain healthcare professions. The finance available is made up of:
    a degree-course bursary based on your income
    full payment of your tuition fees
    a reduced rate (approximately 50 per cent) Maintenance Loan, not based on your income if you are studying for a degree

It seems that you are eligible for a % of the maintenance loan. Perhaps you need to give student finance a call to clarify your situation.
    Good luck
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1mum)
    Copied from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/DG_171537

Healthcare professional courses
    NHS bursaries are available for certain healthcare professions. The finance available is made up of:
    a degree-course bursary based on your income
    full payment of your tuition fees
    a reduced rate (approximately 50 per cent) Maintenance Loan, not based on your income if you are studying for a degree

It seems that you are eligible for a % of the maintenance loan. Perhaps you need to give student finance a call to clarify your situation.
    Good luck
    Thank you Am I elligable for a maintenance loan if I'm living at home then?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    may i ask why you cant get a student loan? i swear everyones entitled to some basic one even if the parents are on a high income?
    I have no idea why. I filled in all of my details, and because I'm doing a midwifery degree, my course is already paid for and because of my parents financial situation they said that I'm not elligable.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    you can get a loan if you live at home...
    the vast majority of my course live at home and we all get maintenance loans. it just means you may get less than if you live away from home.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea why. I filled in all of my details, and because I'm doing a midwifery degree, my course is already paid for and because of my parents financial situation they said that I'm not elligable.
    thats very strange i must say. well that being the case their are several options that im aware of first is applying to the uni/sfe for [im not quite sure what theyre called] but essentually if your in financial hardship theyll help you out, im aware of several unis doing this but not sure about yours but its worth a check i think they do it despite your financial background, also have you tryed doing the loan application without factoring in your parents income? it usually gives people substantially less but youll still get some money, theres a few charities and the like [i believe] that exist to help people in education who are in financial hardship and can give out loans, theres also bank over drafts, pestering the parents, getting a job whee you work from home such as selling online, telemarketing etc. also for fear of sounding crass i did see a tv show on the other day about phone sex girls ... they appeared to make very good money for very little time/effort and a few of the girls being interviewed were using it to pay their way trough uni, so food for thought

best of luck to you though!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a midwifery student you will be eligible to apply for a non-means tested NHS grant, a means tested NHS bursary, and a reduced rate maintenance loan (around £2k a year).

If your household income is high leading you to not get any NHS bursary can you ask your parents if they would be willing to help you out a little? Even if it's petrol money for one journey a week.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    May I suggest that you do odd jobs that don't have fixed hours? For example you could do gardening, cleaning other people's houses, tutoring pupils for GCSE etc? I realise those kinds of work couldn't entirely meet the extra costs, but a bit of extra cash would definitely help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a job.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically..
    I'm starting at Hertfordshire Uni in September this year, and I will be continuing to live at home (a 45 minute drive away).

Does anyone know of any other way of getting extra money for uni? Maybe a company that deals with student loans as I cannot get one through the government?
    If your unable to take out a loan.. you mentioned petrol costing you £70 a week.

Baring in mind the fuel price is subject to change. Why can't you sell the car?

Any other convenient transportation? Train? Bus. Surely this is considered a cheaper method.

You don't have to worry about the petrol prices, possibility of repairs, MOT, insurance.

Surely this should cover most of the expenses for university?

I'm assuming with the car vaguely mentioned, I assuming your not the owner but your insured onto your parents car?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Am I elligable for a maintenance loan if I'm living at home then?
    You can get a NHS bursary, and student loan from Student Finance of £1700 if you live at home. The latter isn't means tested, so you can definitely get that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 14, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.