Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE revision techniques?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCheema)
    Sheepstick- Good idea! Haha.
    let me know if you need help on biology there's loads of past papers and stuff what exam board are you on?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCheema)
    Hi, I am currently studying at a secondry school in the process of finishing my GCSEs... I have 5 exams coming up in the June 2012 season and I need to gather some simple, yet effective techniques of revision. I have done the standard reading and writing side of revision, and I have also created some flash cards in which I am able to revise from. However, I can not think of any other techniques which will help to advance my knowledge and push my revision that step further. Any suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    I have 14 :'(

oh, and past papers.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    amirlad- Ah i feel sorry for you! Are you in year 11 or 10? I am in year 10 you see, the majority of my exams are in year 11. And thank you for the advice on past papers
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    lols im in yr 11 and i have 9 lucky me
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    memorise your notes and go crazy on past papers.

(..and for maths use mathswatch and practice lots of past papers)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    sit down, with a book, read it, sorted.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol im more of a topoc domino person so you get questions and answers and go domino crazy lol it works and its kinda fun in a sad way
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Re-write/condense your school notes onto revision cards and whack them on the wall with links between them. That's what I do, then when I do a past paper I can use them if I get stuck on a question.
    Also if you stick them on your wall then you'll know what you've covered when revising and what you haven't. Got me through GCSE's and is getting me through A Levels.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, there's a lot of proof that context can help when revising. So of you're exam is in a sports hall or assembly hall or classroom then revising in there would be good and would help.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    i am dying with revision! my school leaves all the exams till the end of year 11 and hello 23 exams!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxlovelifexox)
    i am dying with revision! my school leaves all the exams till the end of year 11 and hello 23 exams!
    omg thats gotta be hard i only have 9 i guess im lucky lol what are you sitting? i bed your working really late lol just remember sleep helps
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepstick)
    omg thats gotta be hard i only have 9 i guess im lucky lol what are you sitting? i bed your working really late lol just remember sleep helps
    i do this double maths thing where i get two maths gcses but in order to do that i have to sit 4 exams! business studies, ict, english lang, english lit, history, triple science and german! my school basically leaves all the exams till the end! your 9 exams are basically equivalent to all my science exams! what are you doing?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxlovelifexox)
    i do this double maths thing where i get two maths gcses but in order to do that i have to sit 4 exams! business studies, ict, english lang, english lit, history, triple science and german! my school basically leaves all the exams till the end! your 9 exams are basically equivalent to all my science exams! what are you doing?
    maths, stats, english lit, enlgish poetry, science biology additional AQA, french reading and listening each separate , geography human and physical each separate papers and thats it you have my sympathy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have the same situation in May. Firstly, make a revision timetable and stick to it, making sure you cover every subject that you do, especially those your weaker in. Don't just read your notes, make mind maps, flash cards, do past papers. Just find a way of revising that is good for YOUR own learning style. So if you are a visual learner - use posters, mind maps, post-it notes ect. If you are an audio learner, make recordings with your revision on and say things out loud. If you are a kinaesthetic learner, revise with a friend and walk around with notes as you learn them.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, Im a kinaesthetic learner and I need some revision tips as I feel I still haven't found my style. Its strange as I feel colour does nothing for me. Please quote me if you give me a reply so I can find it easily. Thanks.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08rbut)
    Hi everyone, Im a kinaesthetic learner and I need some revision tips as I feel I still haven't found my style. Its strange as I feel colour does nothing for me. Please quote me if you give me a reply so I can find it easily. Thanks.
    hey there,
    that's a tough one. one of my friends is kinaesthetic learner too and she likes to walk around when she's drilling round learning facts and recite it out loud too. she basically just walks up and down saying the facts across a room. maybe try that?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of so many ways to revise! But personally i think the best ways are;
    - Posters
    - Reading and Re-Reading Notes
    - Highlighters and Colour Coordination
    - Flashcards
    - Mind maps
    - Internet
    - Spider Diagrams
    - Past Papers

I've just started year 10 and i have a pe theory end of topic test coming up this week and i really find it difficult to remember key words and their meanings but i find doing 20 mins of revision then going off and doing something then coming back and doing another 20 mins helps me focus more and its worth actually doing revision as there are no distractions and i can remember things by picturing them all on an a3 sheet. Hope this helps

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2013
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.