The Student Room Group

GCSE revision techniques?

Hi, I am currently studying at a secondry school in the process of finishing my GCSEs... I have 5 exams coming up in the June 2012 season and I need to gather some simple, yet effective techniques of revision. I have done the standard reading and writing side of revision, and I have also created some flash cards in which I am able to revise from. However, I can not think of any other techniques which will help to advance my knowledge and push my revision that step further. Any suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i know this sounds pretty boring but i just write and i create a lot of mind maps or brainstorms..therefore is all on one page...
im sorry if this doesnt help :L
Reply 2
Past papers.
Reply 3
For maths and sciences, i advise you to just do past papers and learn the answer pattern from the markscheme while u mark ur work.

i think it is a waste of time making flash cards for those two subjects because practice makes perfect and questions are really similar each year. (I may be misleading because I was one of the last set of students to study the old spec which had loads of past papers...) anyhow,
which subjects are you being examined on this summer?
Reply 4
becca_5379- Yes that is what I am currently doing also haha.. Need new ways of revising because that is becoming a little boring which is resulting in me now wanting to carry on with my revision but i know i must.

tehsponge- Yes, I do have some past papers printed off already, and have studied them thororoughly. However, i thought it might be a good idea to revise everything a few times(This is why i am in need of revision techniques) and then undergo these past papers after i have covered all topics. Yay or nay?

youcanfly- similar to 'tehsponges' comment, yes I have been reading through past papers, analysing the structure and pattern in which the exam boards tend to follow. I also agree with you that making flash cards for MATHS does not give me much advancement however i do believe flash cards for sciences help me a lot because the enable me to remember things a lot easier... But for maths, no i agree with you, flash cards are no good, maths is simply learning and applying the formulas. In response to your question of what i am being assessed on this summer, the subjects include: Religious studies, Science(Biology-Influences on life) And History. I finish the rest of my outstanding exams in the summer of next year.

Thank you all for prompt posts. Please continue to post into this thread as you are all giving me some good ideas. Thanks in advance.
Do loads of past papers as part of your revision, but leave the most recent three papers as 'mock exams' for the couple of weeks before the exams. Read the revision guide loads + make notes, memorise all the facts. Buy a 'revision workbook' - CGP do some really good ones for science. Don't know about RS or history - aren't they all essay based? Perhaps ask your teacher for a list of possible essay questions and plan answers. Don't do what I did a few years ago and revise solid for the two days beforehand because I ran out of time (although I did have about a billion other exams on and I still got 100%... but it's still NOT A GOOD IDEA because if I'd had any problems, I'd run out of time to ask my teachers for help.) Go to 'revision workshops' if your school runs then, or arrange your own with your friends. Do loads of revision!
Reply 6
Dragonkeeper999- Yes, that is what i have done. I have printed quite a few past papers which i am going to complete once i have finished my revision. And i have quite few weeks before my exams(around 7 weeks) and i have made a revision timetable that is structured so i will not be throwing everything in my head at once It also allows me to complete the revision notes and go over them for a week or two to get them into my head. I am dedicated to my revision.
Reply 7
past papers, flash cards, posters, color coding, highlighters, reading and re-reading to memorize the facts that you need to know or sometimes recording and listening to it whilst you sleep though this is hard with headphones you can put your phone under a pillow on medium and just doze off. :biggrin: good luck
Reply 8
sheepstick- Thank you for the tips!
Reply 9
Original post by KCheema
sheepstick- Thank you for the tips!

you are most welcome glad i could help and good luck i'm a current yr 11 and am sitting my exams starting may 14th so its kind of scary so its good to know that were not in the boat alone :smile:
Reply 10
sheepstick- indeed it is!
Past papers are a good help, I find. Though do them in bulk! Also, re reading notes and making loads of notes out, colour code them and have them organised. Be organised yourself, which you clearly are! Get a good few A3 sheets, I take them from art haha, and write out in large print info you want to with hold, eg if you're revising Biology, write out a definition or two and read them out loud before you go to bed at night. Stick post it notes/posters all over your bedroom and look over them. Ask the teacher/your friend if you don't understand something and search the internet for help. Eg BBC Bitesize. Get past paper questions and test yourself. Also use past papers to understand exam technique and to predict what kind of questions might come up, they can be quite repetitive. Good luck!
Original post by KCheema
sheepstick- indeed it is!

you do need any help with subjects and stuff then you can always have a look for the groups thats what i do with stuff like physics theres always a group for it on here lol :smile: what exams are you prepping for and remember dont worry about them to much because like me you make yourself ill then when the exam comes you end up with colds and cant think straight lol
Reply 13
Scienceconfusion- Yes, the ideas you mentioned on posters in my bedroom and the large A3 sheets are a brilliant idea! Thank you so much for helping me!

Sheepstick- Yes, that was what i was also thinking of doing, i think it might help me:smile: Im preparing for biology, religious studies, and history. And thats what im worried about haha! Email me as it easier for me to communicate with you and you seem very nice:')
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi,
I have just joined this website..LITERALLY and saw your thready thingymajiggy. I sat my GCSE's last year and they all went really well (miracles do happen!) thanks to this one revision tip that was given to me by my older sister.
Instead of sitting down in the same boring environment writing out information and reading textbooks for hours I organised revision dates with some friends.
I find that talking about the stuff with different faces in new environments helps the information to stick in your head. Also, all the change helped trigger some of the information in my head when it came to sitting in the exam. These 'romantic' dates also help you to feel relaxed and happier about the situation, instead of stressin' out when the info just wont stick grrrr...:angry:
Finally..don't get too stressed over them, that wont get you anywhere :frown:
I hope this was of some help to you, good luck in your exams!! :wink:
Original post by KCheema
Scienceconfusion- Yes, the ideas you mentioned on posters in my bedroom and the large A3 sheets are a brilliant idea! Thank you so much for helping me!

Sheepstick- Yes, that was what i was also thinking of doing, i think it might help me:smile: Im preparing for biology, religious studies, and history. And thats what im worried about haha! Email me as it easier for me to communicate with you and you seem very nice:') My email is: [email protected]

ok done lol check your email sorry it took so long busy revising lol :smile:
Reply 16
imajammy- Aha, that is a good tip! I'm not sure I personally would benefit from that though. When i am with my freinds trying to study, I tend to lose focus and talk to them about something that has no relevance! However it seemed to have helped you so well done!

I think im the kind of guy who likes to stick his head in a book... I find that works for me and a lot goes in surprisingly... I also like to use flash cards, they too help me. But yes, social revision doesn't do it for me. Thank you for the advice anyway! Always appreciated greatly! :biggrin:

Sheepstick- Aha, thats fine. I have been bust revising too! A lot to do, however I did get some exam results back today... ALL ON THE POSITIVE SIDE!

I shall email you soon.
Original post by KCheema
imajammy- Aha, that is a good tip! I'm not sure I personally would benefit from that though. When i am with my freinds trying to study, I tend to lose focus and talk to them about something that has no relevance! However it seemed to have helped you so well done!

I think im the kind of guy who likes to stick his head in a book... I find that works for me and a lot goes in surprisingly... I also like to use flash cards, they too help me. But yes, social revision doesn't do it for me. Thank you for the advice anyway! Always appreciated greatly! :biggrin:

Sheepstick- Aha, thats fine. I have been bust revising too! A lot to do, however I did get some exam results back today... ALL ON THE POSITIVE SIDE!

I shall email you soon.

hey i don't know if you keeping up your email address is such a good thing lol's so you may want to edit your post just to be on the safe side lol :smile:
Reply 18
Sheepstick- Good idea! Haha.
Original post by KCheema
Sheepstick- Good idea! Haha.

lol its fine haha just to be safe tho otherwise you could get spam lol spam :smile:
how the revision going?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending