Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shooting a gun under water

Announcements Posted on
Need last minute Christmas gift ideas? Come and visit Santa's grotto! 17-12-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if you shot a gun under water?
    Would it be as effective as if shot on land?
    If you shot a shark under water, would the bullet have an impact if the bullet travels slower?
    What if you shot a gun under water towards the sky.. how would the bullet change after leaving the water and entering the normal air?

These are just random questions
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love how you chose to ask this in "Advice on Everyday Issues" :wtf:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I've shot enough sharks to find out...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tendedez)
    Are you sure?

I feel like if I tell you, I might be guilty of conspiracy to commit a heinous crime...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

It probably wouldn't even fire if you shot a gun underwater since the cartridge needs oxygen to ignite.

Edit: Aw crap, got beaten to it with the video.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you shot a shark under water, would the bullet have an impact if the bullet travels slower?
    What if you shot a gun under water towards the sky.. how would the bullet change after leaving the water and entering the normal air?

Most guns will hardly work under water. What are the requirements for combustion of the powder? The mechanisms may fail if clogged with water. There are a few specially adapted underwater guns. The water resistance will slow the bullet down and reduce accuracy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    I love how you chose to ask this in "Advice on Everyday Issues" :wtf:
    :rofl:^^^^^^^^^^

OP I remember watching a discovery program about saving private ryan and they did a test to show if a bullet can actually hit the water and still have the power to penetrate and kill a person. They did a test with a gun and a dummy seperated by a tank of water about 1 meter long. When the bullet was fired it traveled about 20cm then came to a halt. Basically when a bullet is fired under wather due to the density of the water (especially salt water) all the energy is dissipated into the water. Essentially you can't kill someone under water with a gun, even at near point blank range. Perhaps if you had the end of the barrel touching the target you could cause penetration but if there was water in the barrel it wouldn't do much harm.

Edit: infact many guns can't be fired underwater anyway.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well the speed would be reduced obviously due to the added resistance. Which would reduce the range. But I'm sure it would still penetrate skin within quite a large distance (maybe 2/3 of the distance if shot out of water).

If you shot up from out of water, the bullet wouldn't accelerate any more but it wouldn't have as much resistance, so it would travel at a decreasing speed upwards.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Well the speed would be reduced obviously due to the added resistance. Which would reduce the range. But I'm sure it would still penetrate skin within quite a large distance (maybe 2/3 of the distance if shot out of water).

If you shot up from out of water, the bullet wouldn't accelerate any more but it wouldn't have as much resistance, so it would travel at a decreasing speed upwards.
    Nope it wouldn't.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes its perfect! Commit the murder underwater, no body to hide and the sound muffled :holmes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrogInABog)
    Are you sure?

I feel like if I tell you, I might be guilty of conspiracy to commit a heinous crime...
    Haha no, I'm genuinely really curious.. the idea spurred up after I had seen Titanic and I wondered what they would do to any killer fish which may have attempted to eat them whilst they were in the sea, and some of them had guns
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electronica)

It probably wouldn't even fire if you shot a gun underwater since the cartridge needs oxygen to ignite.

Edit: Aw crap, got beaten to it with the video.
    Thanks for this! (even if you were second to post lol)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)

Thank you for posting this
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    :rofl:^^^^^^^^^^

OP I remember watching a discovery program about saving private ryan and they did a test to show if a bullet can actually hit the water and still have the power to penetrate and kill a person. They did a test with a gun and a dummy seperated by a tank of water about 1 meter long. When the bullet was fired it traveled about 20cm then came to a halt. Basically when a bullet is fired under wather due to the density of the water (especially salt water) all the energy is dissipated into the water. Essentially you can't kill someone under water with a gun, even at near point blank range. Perhaps if you had the end of the barrel touching the target you could cause penetration but if there was water in the barrel it wouldn't do much harm.

Edit: infact many guns can't be fired underwater anyway.
    thank you for this, I was kind of looking for this type of answer which explained the whole mechanics behind it. It was just on my mind for quite a while and everyone who had told me it wouldn't work couldn't explain why, curiosity eh
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:

depending on the type/charge itll go up to about 10meters
    no, not by a long shot, water is a lot more dence than air and as such slows the projectile down a lot, that being said there are special firearms and projectiles made for firing under water H&K make one i believe.
    it depends again on what type of bullet you used and how close you were ... if the gun was toucing the shark itd kill it [most likely] if you were a few meters away its highly doubtful.
    depends how deep under water you fired it from ... it sure as hell wouldnt go as far as if you shot it from within the air to start with but once leaving the water the bullet will continue to loose velocity but at a reduced rate than when it was in the water.

may i ask why youre asking these quesitons :rolleyes:?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll awaken the Kraken!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    depending on the type/charge itll go up to about 10meters
    no, not by a long shot, water is a lot more dence than air and as such slows the projectile down a lot, that being said there are special firearms and projectiles made for firing under water H&K make one i believe.
    it depends again on what type of bullet you used and how close you were ... if the gun was toucing the shark itd kill it [most likely] if you were a few meters away its highly doubtful.
    depends how deep under water you fired it from ... it sure as hell wouldnt go as far as if you shot it from within the air to start with but once leaving the water the bullet will continue to loose velocity but at a reduced rate than when it was in the water.

may i ask why youre asking these quesitons :rolleyes:?
    Just pure curiosity, I was wondering what a human could do if it were against a shark in the sea, using a knife to kill one if it were attacking would be useless because the shark would pretty much kill you before you could swing for it
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grab a cricket bat sized piece of wreckage and spank it on the nose when it comes close enough. Tbh if you're in the north atlantic you'll be dead of hypothermia in a few minutes anyway.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just pure curiosity, I was wondering what a human could do if it were against a shark in the sea, using a knife to kill one if it were attacking would be useless because the shark would pretty much kill you before you could swing for it
    fair enough, yar most people would just use a spear gun, i remember seeing a tv show on nasa once where they used to issue the apollo astranaughts with some funny spear gun that had a co2 canister on it, would blow a large hole in the shark ... not pretty, not pretty at all. otherwise theres that H&K i mentioned HK P11 and the Russians have something called the SPP-1

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.