The Student Room Group

C2 another trigonometrical equation

Hi, still on the trigonometrical equations…finding them quite difficult to be honest. Got this one here that I’m not sure where to begin with:

sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ2sinθ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} \equiv \frac {2}{\sin \theta}

I’m really not being lazy but I have no idea where to begin with, I didn’t think the tanθsinθcosθ\tan \theta \equiv \frac {\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} identity would be useful as adding tan into the identity would just cause another variable, and I also didn’t think it would be the sin2θ+cos2θ1 \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta \equiv 1 identity as there are no squared values, so I’m lost!
:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well first thing's first try to get the numerators on the left hand side over one denominator, the next step should be easy to see.
You want to rearrange the equation to get it into a useful form to start of with, see what you can do and see if you can use a trig identity after rearranging. :smile:

EDIT: If you want the solution I have it if you are really stuck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gavinlee
Hi, still on the trigonometrical equations…finding them quite difficult to be honest. Got this one here that I’m not sure where to begin with:

sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ2sinθ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} \equiv \frac {2}{\sin \theta}

I’m really not being lazy but I have no idea where to begin with, I didn’t think the tanθsinθcosθ\tan \theta \equiv \frac {\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} identity would be useful as adding tan into the identity would just cause another variable, and I also didn’t think it would be the sin2θ+cos2θ1 \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta \equiv 1 identity as there are no squared values, so I’m lost!
:confused:

Is your question, sinθcosθ+cosθsinθ2sin2θ ? \displaystyle \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}+ \frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} \equiv \frac2{sin2\theta} \ ?
Reply 4
Original post by raheem94
Is your question, sinθcosθ+cosθsinθ2sin2θ ? \displaystyle \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}+ \frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} \equiv \frac2{sin2\theta} \ ?

It couldn't be that cause all you would end up with is an equation that says 1=2
Reply 5
Original post by I_Am_The_Man
You want to rearrange the equation to get it into a useful form to start of with, see what you can do and see if you can use a trig identity after rearranging. :smile:

EDIT: If you want the solution I have it if you are really stuck.

It is not an equation. I think the question is show LHS equals RHS
Reply 6
OK sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} so if I try to sort out the numerators and denominators out they just result in 1, don't they?

sinθ+1cosθ1cosθ+sinθ \frac {\sin \theta + 1 \cos \theta }{1 \cos \theta + \sin \theta } doesn’t this just result in 1?
Reply 7
Original post by steve2005
It is not an equation. I think the question is show LHS equals RHS

I think it is an equation, I can't see any ways to rearrange the LHS into the RHS, I can however use the equation to find the value of theta.
Reply 8
Can you do addition of fractions? do that with the left side and you will get (sin^2x + cos^2x) over sinx cosx.
use the trig identity to make the top equal 1. then its easy to rearange and you get the final answer to be cosx = 0.5

edit: just seen the identical sign so i guess your not trying to find the value of x. I thought proving identities was not in c2, only c3
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
OK sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} so if I try to sort out the numerators and denominators out they just result in 1, don't they?

sinθ+1cosθ1cosθ+sinθ \frac {\sin \theta + 1 \cos \theta }{1 \cos \theta + \sin \theta } doesn’t this just result in 1?

You're adding them wrong. Remember:

ab+cd=ad+bcbd\frac{a}{b} + \frac{c}{d}= \frac{ad+bc}{bd}
Reply 10
Original post by roar558
You're adding them wrong. Remember:

ab+cd=ad+bcbd\frac{a}{b} + \frac{c}{d}= \frac{ad+bc}{bd}

...but I'm getting confused because it's not ab+cd\frac{a}{b} + \frac{c}{d} it's ab+ba\frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{a}

p.s. I'm more explaining what I'm thinking rather than doubting your help :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
It's an identity.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Why are you writing sin2θ  as  sinθ ?sin2\theta \ \ as \ \ sin\theta \ ?
It's an identity.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

that's incorrect...
I would love to know the answer for this, as I'm confused on the same question
Doesn't seem like OP's question is valid, I think his question is to prove 2/sin2(theta)
Reply 15
I went ahead to solve for theta and got cos(theta)=0.5
Anybody got to this?
Reply 16
Original post by Extricated
Doesn't seem like OP's question is valid, I think his question is to prove 2/sin2(theta)

The question copied from my book, word for word is:

Prove the identity sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ2sinθ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} \equiv \frac {2}{\sin \theta}
Reply 17
OK, so I applied ab+cd=ad+bcbd\frac{a}{b} + \frac{c}{d}= \frac{ad+bc}{bd}

To get this:

sin2θ+1+2cosθ+cos2θsinθ+cosθsinθ \frac {\sin^2 \theta + 1 + 2\cos \theta + \cos^2 \theta}{\sin \theta +\cos \theta \sin \theta}

The only thing is this makes me more confused!
Reply 18
The question copied from my book, word for word is:

Prove the identity sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ2sinθ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} \equiv \frac {2}{\sin \theta}

I am quite sure they have missed out the '+' sign in the question.

It is not sensible to write sinθcosθ as sinθ1cosθ \displaystyle \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta} \ as \ \frac{\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta}

The question i think should be, sinθ1+cosθ+1+cosθsinθ2sinθ \displaystyle \frac{sin\theta}{1+cos\theta} + \frac{1+cos\theta}{sin\theta} \equiv \frac2{sin\theta}

LHS=sinθ1+cosθ+1+cosθsinθ=sin2θ+(1+cosθ)2(1+cosθ)sinθ=sin2θ+1+2cosθ+cos2θ(1+cosθ)sinθ=(sin2θ+cos2θ)+1+2cosθ(1+cosθ)sinθ=2+2cosθ(1+cosθ)sinθ=2(1+cosθ)(1+cosθ)sinθ=2sinθ= Proved  \displaystyle LHS = \frac{sin\theta}{1+cos\theta} + \frac{1+cos\theta}{sin\theta} = \frac{sin^2\theta + (1+cos\theta)^2}{(1+cos\theta)sin\theta} = \frac{sin^2\theta + 1 +2cos\theta + cos^2\theta}{(1+cos\theta)sin\theta}=\frac{(sin^2\theta+cos^2 \theta )+1+2cos\theta}{(1+cos\theta)sin\theta} = \frac{2+2cos\theta}{(1+cos\theta)sin\theta} = \frac{2(1+cos\theta)}{(1+cos \theta )sin\theta} = \frac{2}{sin\theta} = \text{ Proved }
Original post by Extricated
that's incorrect...

Typo I meant sin2theta

Quick Reply

Latest