The Student Room Group

C2 another trigonometrical equation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gavinlee
The question copied from my book, word for word is:

Prove the identity sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ2sinθ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} \equiv \frac {2}{\sin \theta}

I have never seen the number 1 written in front of cos - so I don't think you have copied the question correctly.
Reply 21
Original post by steve2005
I have never seen the number 1 written in front of cos - so I don't think you have copied the question correctly.

See post#19 in this thread, i think there should be a '+' after the '1'.
Original post by raheem94
See post#19 in this thread, i think there should be a '+' after the '1'.

You may well be correct but I was replying to the OP because he claimed to have copied in straight from the book or words to that effect.
Reply 23
@raheem94 - there are a few errors in my book, and I can follow what you've written, it explains it really well. Trouble is, even if the book didn't have any errors, I'm not sure if I would have got there without your help. What steps did you go through to realsie what you had to do?
Reply 24
@raheem94 - there are a few errors in my book, and I can follow what you've written, it explains it really well. Trouble is, even if the book didn't have any errors, I'm not sure if I would have got there without your help. What steps did you go through to realsie what you had to do?

First put the LHS over a common denominator and then just simplify it.

It will be hard for you at first, but remember PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT, just practice more and you will be fine with it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
...but I'm getting confused because it's not ab+cd\frac{a}{b} + \frac{c}{d} it's ab+ba\frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{a}

p.s. I'm more explaining what I'm thinking rather than doubting your help :colondollar:

It doesn't really matter if b=c or a=d, use the same rule ie

ab+ba=b2+a2ab\frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{a}=\frac{b^2 +a^2}{ab}

The question copied from my book, word for word is:

Prove the identity sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ2sinθ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} \equiv \frac {2}{\sin \theta}

If that's the question, I think it's a typo, they clearly meant the question to be

sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ2sin2θ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} \equiv \frac {2}{\sin 2\theta}
Original post by roar558
It doesn't really matter if b=c or a=d, use the same rule ie

ab+ba=b2+a2ab\frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{a}=\frac{b^2 +a^2}{ab}

If that's the question, I think it's a typo, they clearly meant the question to be

sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ2sin2θ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} \equiv \frac {2}{\sin 2\theta}

That's the same question? Unless I'm blind. :O
Reply 27
Original post by Math12345
That's the same question? Unless I'm blind. :O

na in the original question it was equal to
2sinθ\frac{2}{sin \theta} rather than 2sin2θ\frac{2}{sin 2\theta}
Hi, still on the trigonometrical equations…finding them quite difficult to be honest. Got this one here that I’m not sure where to begin with:

sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ2sinθ \frac {\sin \theta}{1 \cos \theta} + \frac {1 \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} \equiv \frac {2}{\sin \theta}

I’m really not being lazy but I have no idea where to begin with, I didn’t think the tanθsinθcosθ\tan \theta \equiv \frac {\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} identity would be useful as adding tan into the identity would just cause another variable, and I also didn’t think it would be the sin2θ+cos2θ1 \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta \equiv 1 identity as there are no squared values, so I’m lost!
:confused:

I'm going to walk through the solution (well, most of it) for you, as quite a few people here are wrong and are confusing matters.
sinθcosθ \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}+cosθsinθ=2sinθ\frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} = \frac{2}{sin\theta}

this is the original, as stated.
rearrange to get the parts with sin as the denominator on one side:

sinθcosθ=2sinθcosθsinθ\frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta} = \frac{2}{sin\theta}-\frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta}

NOW you can subtract the two fractions together because the denominator is the same.

sinθcosθ=2cosθsinθ\frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta} = \frac{2-cos\theta}{sin\theta}
Now "cancel out" the cos from the LHS by multiplying both asides by cos:

sinθ=(2cosθ)cosθsinθ sin\theta = \frac{(2-cos\theta)cos\theta}{sin\theta}
expand the brackets on the RHS

sinθ=2cosθcos2θsinθsin\theta = \frac{2cos\theta - cos^2\theta}{sin\theta}
"cancel out" the sin from the RHS by multiplying by sin:

sin2θ=2cosθcos2θ sin^2\theta=2cos\theta - cos^2\theta

now, rearrange to get:
sin2θ+cos2θ=2cosθ sin^2\theta + cos^2\theta = 2cos\theta ***

Recall:
sin2θ+cos2θ=1 sin^2\theta+cos^2\theta = 1
so:
*** =
1=2cosθ 1 = 2cos\theta
12\frac{1}{2} =cosθ= cos\theta

now, how do you get θ \theta from this?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by J10
I went ahead to solve for theta and got cos(theta)=0.5
Anybody got to this?

I got this.
Original post by Roshniroxy
I would love to know the answer for this, as I'm confused on the same question

I've managed to "solve for θ \theta
It wouldn't make sense for this to be a proof question. (if , in fact the original question was correct and it wasn't suppoed to have + after the 1s.)
for it to be a proof question, you'd expect both the LHS and the RHS to be the same.
but they will not become the same as the two things are not the same.

This can be shown just by putting in any value of θ\theta into the equation.

eg
θ=6 \theta = 6 on the RHS this gives 9.6195 (to 4 dp)
on the LGS it gives19.1335 (to 4 dp)

which are not the same.
Original post by elldeegee
I'm going to walk through the solution (well, most of it) for you, as quite a few people here are wrong and are confusing matters.

Oh the irony!
Is your question, sinθcosθ+cosθsinθ2sin2θ ? \displaystyle \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}+ \frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} \equiv \frac2{sin2\theta} \ ?

Original post by roar558
It couldn't be that cause all you would end up with is an equation that says 1=2

no, it wouldnt be 1=2

sinθcosθ \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta} + cosθsinθ=2sin2θ\frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} = \frac{2}{sin2\theta}

sinθcosθ+cosθsinθ=22sinθcosθ\frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta} + \frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} = \frac{2}{2sin\theta cos\theta}

sinθcosθ+cosθsinθ=1sinθcosθ\frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta} + \frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} = \frac{1}{sin\theta cos\theta}

multiply through by cos and sin gives:

sin2θ+cos2θ=1sin^2\theta + cos^2\theta = 1

Which is true, and is therefore proven this would be proven.
(edited 12 years ago)
You would probably need to be psychic (or familiar with the OP's other posts) to know this but the actual question is:

Prove this identity:

sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ=2sinθ \frac{\sin\theta}{1-\cos\theta}+\frac{1-\cos\theta}{\sin\theta} = \frac{2}{\sin\theta}
Original post by Mr M
You would probably need to be psychic (or familiar with the OP's other posts) to know this but the actual question is:

Prove this identity:

sinθ1cosθ+1cosθsinθ=2sinθ \frac{\sin\theta}{1-\cos\theta}+\frac{1-\cos\theta}{\sin\theta} = \frac{2}{\sin\theta}

Well, as i am not psychic, and i have obviously not seen his other posts, then i would NOT know this.

And as later on in the thread in the thread he reiterated the question word for word in his book, how would you expect me to know this?

There is no need to be rude about such things.

the original question, whilst having a \equiv sign, did not say anything about proving.
So i went with my instinct and solved for theta.

OP, i apologise if i have confused matters.

EDIT:
I have just read back through the posts, and have seen that his "reiteration" indeed mentioned proving, but I was originally going off of the original question, and had only glanced at the reiteration to be able to make sure the "equation" was indeed correct.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by elldeegee
There is no need to be rude about such things.

I didn't realise I was being rude. You should probably familiarise yourself with the Forum Rules on the provision of full solutions.

By the way, your style is poor. Try to work on the LHS or the RHS but not both at the same time.
Reply 36
Original post by Mr M

Prove this identity:

It can also be sinθ1+cosθ+1+cosθsinθ2sinθ \displaystyle \frac{sin\theta}{1+cos\theta} + \frac{1+cos\theta}{sin\theta} \equiv \frac2{sin\theta} .

See post#19.
It can also be sinθ1+cosθ+1+cosθsinθ2sinθ \displaystyle \frac{sin\theta}{1+cos\theta} + \frac{1+cos\theta}{sin\theta} \equiv \frac2{sin\theta} .

See post#19.

Good point well made.
Reply 38
Thanks for everyone's help on this. I realise my questions can be a little infuriating at times. Maths doesn't come natural to me, but I'm trying!
Reply 39
Are you sure this isn't C3? :s

Quick Reply

Latest