Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My trousers wear through at the crotch within 6 weeks

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi. For years now every pair of trousers or shorts I get wears right through at the crotch within about 50 days of use. I don't do anything too crazy in them - I cycle 0 to 3 miles per day, I walk about the same, and the rest is just sitting down basically. I'm not over-weight and I don't feel that my thighs rub together or anything.

Repairs aren't possible because the material thins out a lot before failing and I'd need to put a big patch on them, and by then the shape has been lost and they look weird anyway.

It's an expensive and annoying problem, because it's quite hard for me to find clothes I actually like, and then in a month or two they're done.

Does this happen to anyone else? Can you think how I could stop it?
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    Hi. For years now every pair of trousers or shorts I get wears right through at the crotch within about 50 days of use. I don't do anything too crazy in them - I cycle 0 to 3 miles per day, I walk about the same, and the rest is just sitting down basically. I'm not over-weight and I don't feel that my thighs rub together or anything.

Repairs aren't possible because the material thins out a lot before failing and I'd need to put a big patch on them, and by then the shape has been lost and they look weird anyway.

It's an expensive and annoying problem, because it's quite hard for me to find clothes I actually like, and then in a month or two they're done.

Does this happen to anyone else? Can you think how I could stop it?
    Where do you buy your shorts and trousers from?

If you wear jeans, then obviously Levi's is a good quality brand which should last longer than 50 miles.
    Or...

You have nanoscale spikes near your crotch area which cuts the fabric down?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Schlong?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why not wear jeans when you need to be doing cycling?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think someone's showing off :smug:
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    u big? :ahee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Where do you buy your shorts and trousers from?

If you wear jeans, then obviously Levi's is a good quality brand which should last longer than 50 miles.
    Or...

You have nanoscale spikes near your crotch area which cuts the fabric down?
    I've had all kinds of brands - basically £50 or £5, they all fail in the same way after the same time. It's ONLY that area and for example the jeans I'm wearing now are in nearly-new condition except for a hole now big enough to... well, I don't know. Too big.

(Original post by notastampcollector)
    Schlong?
    Yes please.

(Original post by Electronica)
    Why not wear jeans when you need to be doing cycling?
    Well I sometimes do.

(Original post by R4INBOW)
    u big? :ahee:
    small or average
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your bike seat is extra abrasive or something? I wear really cheap jeans and cycle about 6 miles every day in them and I haven't worn a whole through a pair before they've broken somewhere else. Not really sure why you're getting this problem. Perhaps you should get some dedicated cycling shorts and change.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Maybe your bike seat is extra abrasive or something? I wear really cheap jeans and cycle about 6 miles every day in them and I haven't worn a whole through a pair before they've broken somewhere else. Not really sure why you're getting this problem. Perhaps you should get some dedicated cycling shorts and change.
    I don't know if it's the cycling, I can't say. It seems reasonable that it might be, but I remember I DID have this problem before I had a bike, back at university. But perhaps not so badly, I don't remember.

Wearing special clothes to cycle in would be a massive pain seeing as I mostly just cycle for short-distance commuting and getting "around town".
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're having trouble finding clothes you actually like, you could just buy several pairs at a time (although this doesn't solve the cost issue)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.