zidane
    puskas

hesitant about this one but i would throw messi in there aswell
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In before some **** says Heskey... broken record. :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Never saw Maradonna and Pele play so I can't comment - only really seen Zidane, Messi, Henry and Ronaldo (x2) play in my generation. So they'd be the five of my generation. As for all time, Pele, Maradonna, Zidane, Ronaldo (Brazilian) are top four for definite.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Threads like this are never fair on defenders/goalkeepers/midfielders who are probably just as good in there relative positions.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pele, Zidane, Henry, Maradona, Cruyff. Messi for me, would give any one of them a run for their money however.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't agree with Pele. He didn't have the balls to prove it in Europe. He said he didn't move there due to the language barrier. But eventually he went to America...

Looks like hes more concerned about the monies back then
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koscielny)
    In before some **** says Heskey... broken record. :rolleyes:
    Heskey.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    To me, to be the best player ever you need to win the Euros, World Cup, Champions League and league titles in several leagues. And you have to prove yourself on a cold Tuesday night in the Premier League:

- Fabien Barthez
    - Thierry Henry

Take your pick.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dslc)
    Pele said recently that Neymar > Messi. Not sure I agree, but interesting.
    Pele's an idiot.

He says a lot of things most of them are *******s.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Threads like this are never fair on defenders/goalkeepers/midfielders who are probably just as good in there relative positions.
    let's be honest, a goalkeeper will never be the best player of all time haha

(Original post by Taurus)
    Don't agree with Pele. He didn't have the balls to prove it in Europe. He said he didn't move there due to the language barrier. But eventually he went to America...

why do you need to prove yourself in europe if you have already done it at the world cup?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pube)
    let's be honest, a goalkeeper will never be the best player of all time haha

why do you need to prove yourself in europe if you have already done it at the world cup?
    What about defenders/midfielders? If they're just as good in their own positions they should be regarded as some of the best ever.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Really interesting thread/question this as it's so subjective

In any case, i'm going with these (in no particular order)

Pele
    Maradona
    Puskas
    Cruyff
    Di Stefano
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Whats the bigger stage europe or wolrd cup?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    What about defenders/midfielders? If they're just as good in their own positions they should be regarded as some of the best ever.
    was zidane not a midfielder?

defenders can't be the best players in the world simply because they can't control a match the way midfielders/strikers can. a defender can't carry a team. being the best attacker of all time is a tougher ask than being the best defender of all time
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dslc)
    I never said I agreed with Pele.

OP selected him as one of his top 5, and made mention of Messi as a possible addition so I raised a link.
    I only quoted you because you mentioned what he said t'other day.

The man's an idiot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Maradona
    2. Pele
    3. Zidane
    4. Ronaldo Luis
    5. Messi
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pube)
    was zidane not a midfielder?

defenders can't be the best players in the world simply because they can't control a match the way midfielders/strikers can. a defender can't carry a team. being the best attacker of all time is a tougher ask than being the best defender of all time
    Yeah he is but there are so many other midfielders people forget like Zico and Lothar Matthaus, two players that I think of straight way when I think of some of the greatest ever. I think the replys on this thread already prove the point I'm making, that these lists aren't really fair on players who play anywhere other than in attack.

And there have been some amazing defenders over the years and I'd have to disagree with the bolded part.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Disagree strongly like Pube. As well as his great performances in the biggest football tournament on the planet and fabled goalscoring record, many of his contemporaries who played in Europe thought nothing to praise his superior ability and skill that puts him up there easily as one the best footballers of all time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1. Messi
    2. Maradona
    3. Zidane
    4. Pele
    5. Puskas

in that order. Pele never has done much for me (in light of Messi and Maradona). He was good, but I much preferred Maradona's style of play, and Messi is just ridiculous...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Yeah he is but there are so many other midfielders people forget like Zico and Lothar Matthaus, two players that I think of straight way when I think of some of the greatest ever. I think the replys on this thread already prove the point I'm making, that these lists aren't really fair on players who play anywhere other than in attack.
    i wasn't around to watch those players so i can't really comment on them. it's pretty annoying when people bring up old players and claim they are better than this person or that person when all they've seen of them is a few youtube clips

(Original post by Deshi)
    And there have been some amazing defenders over the years and I'd have to disagree with the bolded part.
    there's more to midfielding/attacking than defending. defenders aren't required to use their minds like other players are. they can't take risks like other players, and they don't have the power to instigate a match. that's not down to ability, it's their role telling them they aren't allowed to do it. it's unfair, but it's just the way the game is. goalkeepers can't be the best players of all time because they are very limited to what they can do

skilling up players or producing sexy backflicks isn't part of their game. they can't be football genius'/magicians. they're limited to reading the game, tackling and communicating with other defenders (e.g. playing an offside trap), they can't possess the flair that players like zidane, bergkamp, ozil, van persie etc. have

that's why a defender can't be the best player of all time

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.