The Student Room Group

At what age did you stop asking your parents

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
You could've at least asked them before you booked the tickets...
When i was around 14/15 i generally received more freedom.
Reply 102
The day after i turned 16 i got a job, i stopped asking my parents for money and that was that. What makes me laugh is that there are people in my year at college (yr13) who are 18 and they still live off of what mummy and daddy give them as well as having their cars paid for them. As a result their parents basically dictate what they do with their lives.
Reply 103
As long as I say were im going and will be back its okay and if im going somewhere far ill plan 2 weeks in advance ie. Out of London
I don't ask to go out, I already arrange something then say "Dad, I need £50". If I've already got the money I just say "I'm out, bye". I love my dad though, he always texts to check up on me :hugs:
Original post by YB101
It just doesn't make sense that he'd let me go out 17 but is so against the idea at 18 when technically i should be able to make decisions for myself.

Maybe he's worried about you drinking? At 17 you couldn't legally drink, whereas at 18 you can. That's the only difference I can think of really.

I've never had to ask my mum if I can go anywhere, I just walk out the door. If I try to tell her what I'm up to, she just kinda smiles with a 'why won't she just leave?' look on her face. I think I'd rather have two parents who cared :redface: Although it does have its benefits of course :wink:
Reply 106
I'm 21 now, 22 in the Summer, and I think I stopped asking and started telling when I was about 19. Before that, it was indirect telling, e.g.: "I'm going to <insert place here> tonight for a bit, if that's ok?"

My parents have always given me this look when I mention that I want to go somewhere or do something... It's very off-putting and makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. For a long time, I was hesitant to even 'ask' because that look just made me feel so bad/guilty and it was horrible because I had no reason to be!

My Dad parks his car right behind mine so that I'm blocked in the drive-way, then if I need to go out I have to ask him to move it so I can get out... He gives me that look- anger/annoyance. Nearly 22 and I'm still getting that reaction... it just baffles me. I have asked why, but he never gives an answer.
Reply 107
Unfortunatly, your parents are always going to be protective of you no matter what you do.

I think having adult conversations with your parents about your wishes will gain you a lot of respect instead of the whole "I don't care what you say i'm doing it anyway".

Sit down and talk to your Dad again, your both adults you should be able to come to some sort of agreement. Whether it be you just go for a few days, you keep in close contact etc.
I tell my parents about as much as they tell me - where I'm going, when I'll be back (ish). If I'm getting public transport or driving myself, that's it, but if I'm getting a lift to a party or something, I normally leave the address and a phone number (rural area = ****e phone reception in most places, no taxis, and no late night public transport, so if something happens with my lift home or something, it wouldn't be the first time....). For 'big' stuff (holidays etc.), I pretty much announce that I'm going but clear the dates with them.
I got into an argument the other day with my mum over her wanting me to ask permission for everything I do. Had the typical "By my age" argument; and in the end I won. How? By just ignoring her and doing it anyway.

She hates me going to the pub, I just go and turn up home at 2am. If she's at home when I leave then I just say "I'm going to the pub, see you later".

Just talk to them about it, surely by your age you're mature enough to make your own decisions.
13 or so. My parents never really gave a **** as long as i told them where i was going and i had my phone.
Reply 111
if I'm reading it right you bought your ticket a while ago and told him the other day? maybe how long you waited to tell him is why he is angry rather than the fact that your going.

I stopped asking my parents for permission to go places that didn't require them to take me or pay sometime between 16-18 there wasn't a certain point it just gradually happened that I would stop asking about certain things until it became everything
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by YB101
If you could do this or do that, ranging from the little things such as "can I go to the cinema" to "I'm going on holiday" or "I'm going to *insert big festival here*

I ask because I'm in a bit of a predicament

Last summer, when I was 17, I wanted to go to Reading Festival with my best friends. I've always loved the thought of them! At first it was a straight no from my dad (mums easier to persuade), but after a little bit of negotiation (and a cheeky lie), he said yes, HE EVEN PAID FOR MY TICKET AND TRANSPORT!

I had a blast, and said to myself i'd definitely go again with my best friend who couldn't go. Booked my ticket for 2012 and the other day I went to ask my dad if we had any holiday plan. I told him not to book anything on the weekend of the festival and he went balistic, telliing me i'm not going this year.

My genuine facial expresion = :eek::s-smilie::eek::s-smilie::eek:
It just doesn't make sense that he'd let me go out 17 but is so against the idea at 18 when technically i should be able to make decisions for myself.

Should I try and negotiate again or straight up tell him i'm going, baring in mind I leave home for uni 2 weeks later?
And at what age did you stop asking your parents for permission to do certain things?

Help me out please guys!

I wanted to go to reading when I was 15/16 but my mum didn't want me to go at this age so I respected her decision. When I was 17/18 I made my own choices, and my parents understood that they couldn't do anything. You're 18 and you can do what you like, tell your dad you appreciate that he doesn't want you to go/cares about you but that you are an adult and can go if you want :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by electriic_ink
When I can pay for them myself, I don't ask. I don't see how age has much to do with it. And it's probably not a good idea to piss your parents off two weeks before uni, given that they'll probably be paying for you to go there.

This.
Reply 114
To be honest, I'm 19 and when I'm home I ask my parents for things such as having friends over, tell them when I'm going out etc. I'm living in their house, rent free while I'm off from uni, it's more a matter of respect if anything.

I know they wouldn't really care if I did just go out or had friends over, I still feel like it'd be rude just to assume from them, especially if it's just to say I'm popping out.
when i turned 16 i had a job so could pay for myself so haven't bothered asking since
My parents didn't generally mind but obv they would be worried if I vanished for hours.

It was more if I went for a night out give them a ring before tea so they dont get it ready for me, I was different from most teens though as didnt really drink till 16 and even then it was a once a month thing when I got my college grant and when younger than that I preferred to stay up late watching tv rather than drink(I still do and am 28)

I find it shocking if people think its ok to be out till around midnight under 16, My parents probably would assume around 10pm at 15 and 9/10 at 14 and even that would be pushing it since I had to get up for class around 7am.

The point really is, his house his rules you cant pick and choose and if you do so anyway you shouldnt expect subsidised in any way by parents.
I stopped asking and started telling at some point during my mid teens.

That said, Uni was definitely the biggest game changer. Being 18 may grant you some sense of legislative freedom, but until you're out of the house and responsible for your own finances - there's little difference in a parents eyes between pre-18 and post-18. After having left home, I wouldn't expect to consult my parents any more than my parents consult my grandfather, i.e. nada.
Reply 118
Original post by YB101
baring in mind I leave home for uni 2 weeks later

This may have already been mentioned (I really CBA reading 5 pages at 4am), but have you considered this may be exactly the reason he doesn't want you to go? Parents have been know to find this event emotional :tongue:
Reply 119
Original post by JordanS94
I haven't asked since my 16th birthday I just say 'I'm going [insert place]' I do ask when I should be in for because my mum is really paranoid about going sleep leaving the back gate open for me :lol: so I ask what time to be in at :smile: but for gigs and places I just tell that that I'm going if they say no i say you can't stop me and they realise they can't :biggrin: come to think of it I should tell them I'm going to a gig in just over a week :lol:

Nice! You do coke?
Tell me more!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending