The Student Room Group

Is 20 to old to go to University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oh-my-diddy
Just to let you know, there's a 60 something year old on my course.

:eek:

but you do a vocational course? they'll graduate...and then retire!
I will be 19 when I start Uni. I say go for it :biggrin:
Reply 42
No 20 is not to old I'm starting uni in September and I'm 20. 20 is a young age still no one considers 2o as being 'old' for anything.
Reply 43
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
I started my degree at 21! Your be fine at 20 :biggrin: I got friends who are older and completing there degrees starting from mid 30s dont panic about it.

me too!! I purposely took a year out after school as I didnt feel ready for uni.
Original post by milesofsea
The problem isn't your age; that's insignificant.

So you're first year at falmouth, yes? You applied through extra for entry into Plymouth in 2012? But you're worried they won't take you. If they don't, you'll still be at falmouth won't you? Or do you have to drop out to be able to apply through extra??

So you're considering resitting, which means you'll enter uni again in 2013, having had next year out to resit and reapply? Yet, you say you're averaging at 55 this year...

It seems like a massive risk, and I don't mean to be mean, but do you know you'll get a higher grade if you resit your a-level?
Bear in mind that even if you do, uni places have been cut down and there's more competition than ever (esp. for us un-economical arts students)
Bear in mind that fees have gone up.

I'd think about all this rather than whether you'll be too old (you won't). Your age is not a concern.

Yeah, i am on 55%, but i think i could get it up if i felt more happier in general at the Uni.
I have found my work always becomes affected during stressful times of my life, which sucks. :/

I'm hoping Plymouth will accept me in but if they don't, i'd rather pay 9 grand and be happy and at a uni i want to be at.
than pay 3 grand, and be unhappy and regret the last 3 years of my education.
Reply 45
I started at 27
yeah sorry, universities don't have facilities catering to the elderly, if you're lucky yours might have a ramp.
Original post by winning11
yeah sorry, universities don't have facilities catering to the elderly, if you're lucky yours might have a ramp.

i love this. :tongue:
Well here in Plymouth there are loads of older students. 20 is not old there are many 20 year olds in the older years and the first year. No one would know that you are 20 because it is only a two year gap. Just don't be one of those people who moans about being 20/21 like a few on my course do because it can be very irritating they are people a lot older, people in their 50s.
Original post by natalieann1993
I'm currently studying at the University College of Falmouth.
I love the Uni life, and my friends, but i just don't feel the University is right for me.
I messed around in my AS year, and managed to push my grades to 240, one being a C in English A level.

I applied to transfer, and got accepted to Nottingham Trent, but after visiting the Uni, i wasn't too keen and didn't want to risk going to another Uni that didn't feel 'right'. At the moment I'm sitting on 55% pass rate, and i know if i was settled more my essays could be better. Ive applied through UCAS extra to transfer to Plymouth for my course, i visit and go out with students in Plymouth once or twice a month, and have also used the library facilites to do my own studies.
Only issue is, I don't meet the entry requirements by 20 points, and needed a B in English, although the admissions tutor said they'd still consider me, I'm still concerned.

With only 240 points, I'm very limited to many English courses, so I'm considering perhaps returning to college next year to resit some exams and push my grades up and apply again. The problem though, I'll be 20 by the time I'll be entering Uni again. Im worried I'll be getting to old for Uni and I'll be surrounded by youngsters.

I know a lot about Plymouth, even my way round and people there, so i shouldn't have trouble settling, but I don't want to risk going elsewhere through clearing.

Do people still go Uni when there twenty?
or if i don't get into Plymouth is it worth holding on in Falmouth and just finishing my degree, although I'm not fully happy/motivated?

You can't even tell the difference between a 18 or 20 year old...so it doesn't really matter.

20 is still young.
Reply 50
Im coming 26 and will be starting my degree in September. Granted I feel and look about 20, but still. Theres no age limit on knowledge. :smile:
Plenty of people start uni in their mid twenties, its entirely up to the person, an it just adds to the diversity I guess
Reply 52
I think you're never too old for further education. :smile:
Original post by natalieann1993

Do people still go Uni when there twenty?
or if i don't get into Plymouth is it worth holding on in Falmouth and just finishing my degree, although I'm not fully happy/motivated?

Of course people go to university when they're twenty, I had someone finished university at 26 years old and got a professional job, and a 47 years old and now manages her own business.

There is no age requirement at university. If you go to university when your 20 and someone says you look like 18, take that as a compliment :smile:
No
Reply 55
No of course not mate, I think its amazing you're following your dreams and aspirations. Good luck with it if you decide to pursue.
Reply 56
NO WAY. i have people in their 50's in my course. it makes no difference..people in uni dont even care about age!..and 20 is considered young!....dont even think about it.
Original post by milesofsea
:eek:

but you do a vocational course? they'll graduate...and then retire!

Well my degree is an academic degree not a vocational one but yeah that's probably true. He obviously intends to put back his retirement a bit. or maybe he just wants it for self-gratification, who knows lol.
Original post by cdoyle
me too!! I purposely took a year out after school as I didnt feel ready for uni.

Mine wasnt purposely it was due to teachers screwing up my education however been older does make you make you work harder for the success
Reply 59
Your NEVER too old to start uni, i know people who are 45+ who have gone back to uni because they want a degree in something and they couldn't go before. Also my cousin finished his degree in pharmacy and work for like 3/4 years and now has gone back to uni to do medicine. So i'd advice you to go :smile: prices are only going to get higher if you wait it out ;P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending