The Student Room Group

Anyone else disillusioned with today's society ?

Please note this is not one of those im depressed or hate my life threads. !
I am happy and content in life altough struggle to see a bright future with the way society is going in the modern day world.
I find myself worrying alot about career opportunities with so many people losing there jobs and companies going bust. I mean i am lucky to have a part time retail job while studying. But even getting a minimum wage job is hard work nowdays compared to 5 years ago when u could go from job to job without worrying.
One of my friends has gone through college and uni and still cannot get a job despite applying to hundreds. He has had to resort in going the job centre for the last year to sign on.
There just does not seem to be an end to the job crisis.
Also what also annoys me about todays society is other people's greed and selfishness.
Most of todays society are shallow compared to the days of our parents growing up. your average person now is more concerned with getting a flasher audi or bmw to look bigger and better than everyone else on the street than spending there money on quality time with there family and kids or helping charities.
No offense to americans but todays english culture is emulating the greedy, fame hungry hollow lives that we all see on tv from american celebs in Hollywood were material things come before love and hapiness. Most youngsters are growing up moaning when they cant have the latest iphone or ipad because they want to show off to there friends rather than just enjoying being a kid like the old days lol.
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I always worry over how long society can continue to run. How long can we live with materials running out, how long can the economy last etc, how long can countries continue with it's international peace.
Reply 2
And those are the reasons why I hope to abandon ship in the near future after I graduate.

I don't care where that place is though, even if it's somewhere like Germany, but they are probably going to sink like Britain is at the moment if the situation in southern Europe gets worse.
Reply 3
It seems to be England on the whole that is starting to emulate parts of American culture and the Hollywood scene with the like of tv progs "the only way is essex" etc were acting dumb looking pretty and having money is all that matters.
Alot of young woman now dont even think of a career because they see wag's or glamour models on tv driving round living a millionaires lifestyle without doing anything and they all apsire to be like them tramps.
There are few places left that dont have a society like this. I would love to live in Australia or Wales as they are 2 places i know were people still have morals lol.
Its not all bad...
Original post by Miracle Day
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I always worry over how long society can continue to run. How long can we live with materials running out, how long can the economy last etc, how long can countries continue with it's international peace.

That's like... so deep, bro.
Reply 6
completely agree, hence why i liked the tories idea of big society, shame it fell through :frown:
Reply 7
I definitely think there is a crisis of personal values and virtues. I don't think this is a recent phenomenon though. I have often thought i'd have been better off living in another time. But then I think about modern medicine and feel better about the situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending