The Student Room Group

Man admits to GBH after injuring his girlfriends eyes, leaving her blind..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ak137
No he didn't.

Yes he did.
Reply 61
Original post by Jackso
Hmmm...

Murder in Britain = Normally less than 18 years.

Murder in America = Life in prison.

Nope. The American justice system is a hell of a lot better. It can be flawed, but no where near to the extent that the British one is.

America uses degrees though. So someone like Zimmerman even if he was convicted of murder could get 15 years to life for second degree. And all murder sentences are life in this country not "18 years" The 18 years means the minimum time before the person gets parole. In some ways the American system is better because cold-blooded murderers get a first degree sentence which is usually pretty long and mercy killers like someone who killed a relative because they were in terrible pain would get under 10 years for third degree murder. However In some ways the British system is better because the sentences aren't ridiculously long. Keeping someone in jail forever is as bad as execution imo
Reply 62
Original post by thunder_chunky
Well the whole thing is pretty fishy, not least because Zimmerman made some questionable decisions.

Agreed. Personally I think it was his fault after he ignored the police not to follow him.
Reply 63
Original post by ak137
Hasnt been given a life sentence.

Last time I looked dude, people had trials before they were sent to prison.
Reply 64
Original post by sword
Bet she didn't see that coming

Reply 65
Original post by notastampcollector
The American justice system is strict. They imprison a greater proportion of their population than any other country in the world and they have capital punishment in many states. And yet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
the homicide rate is four times that in the UK and crime figures are through the roof. It's clearly working.

Non sequitur. Japan has one of the lowest murder rates in the world and the death sentence, therefore it does work.
Reply 66
Original post by ak137
True. You know what they say though, love is blind (no pun intended).

A lot of these women have hardly anything going for them and very little self esteem. Some have been with their man for years and years and have a family with him, its a lot harder for them than you might think.

Then again, what would you know about this sort of thing.
Reply 67
Original post by xxm
Just disgusting. How on earth he can live with himself after that, is beyond me.

Yeah it's horrific. He's basically destroyed an innocent woman's life.
Reply 68
Original post by ak137
Exactly. Thanks for proving my point.

:facepalm: He's been arrested and so will be facing a trial, the trial has not yet begun, so he has not yet been sentenced.
Reply 69
On a side note, maybe the US should introduce a better welfare system with all the riches they like to let everyone know they have, so less of their citizens are in absolute poverty living on the streets and have to turn to crime to fund their lifestyle.

They should also ban guns, what kind of message does that give to its citizens.
Reply 70
Original post by sexbo
America uses degrees though. So someone like Zimmerman even if he was convicted of murder could get 15 years to life for second degree. And all murder sentences are life in this country not "18 years" The 18 years means the minimum time before the person gets parole. In some ways the American system is better because cold-blooded murderers get a first degree sentence which is usually pretty long and mercy killers like someone who killed a relative because they were in terrible pain would get under 10 years for third degree murder. However In some ways the British system is better because the sentences aren't ridiculously long. Keeping someone in jail forever is as bad as execution imo
They aren't, no, but the majority seem to be around 16 years from what I've read pretty consistently over the past decade. Sometimes they get much longer for the much more high profile cases.

I dunno, I just can't feel any sympathy for murderers. I personally think life in prison is almost as severe as execution, though, but they are there for a reason.
Reply 71
Original post by Chloe xxx
A lot of these women have hardly anything going for them and very little self esteem. Some have been with their man for years and years and have a family with him, its a lot harder for them than you might think.

Its not easy being a single parent, I understand. They are with their 'man' for years because of being afraid of being a single parent and yeah you're right, very little self esteem too considering the emotional abuse they have to put up with too.

Then again, what would you know about this sort of thing.

More than a whore would know.
That's really horrible, poor woman. I hope justice is done and he gets life.

I also don't understand women who have no self value such that they are willing to compromise their dignity and worth for violent men who do not respect them. It's really sad. This so called 'love' is blind.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by ak137
You're the queen of generalisations I guess.

No I'm not, you just dont like my honest critique of Islam and other things, so what, its a debate forum. You cant spit your dummy out because others don't agree with you.
Reply 74
Original post by TheHansa
:facepalm: He's been arrested and so will be facing a trial, the trial has not yet begun, so he has not yet been sentenced.

Yep, so is this guy? What's your point?
Reply 75
No I'm not, you just dont like my honest critique of Islam and other things, so what, its a debate forum.

What critique of Islam, that all muslim are terrorists, ive seen you say many times? :wink2:

You cant spit your dummy out because others don't agree with you.

You just did. :wink2:
Reply 76
Original post by ak137
Its not easy being a single parent, I understand. They are with their 'man' for years because of being afraid of being a single parent and yeah you're right, very little self esteem too considering the emotional abuse they have to put up with too.

More than a whore would know.

Why bring that up, again? Have you really got nothing else up your sleeve as its a bit boring? Quite odd of you to claim you know more about men, violence and womens issues than a 'whore', isnt it? Isnt that what they put up with all the time, according to people like you? Button it please.

Its not anything to do with not being a single parent, they get help with that in this country to manage alone, and many women do. Its because they are stuck in a rut that they find hard to break away from.

Your ignorant and bigoted if you think you know more about this than me. You are the one sticking up for the man for godsake. No surprise though, really.
Reply 77
Original post by ak137
What critique of Islam, that all muslim are terrorists, ive seen you say many times? :wink2:

You just did. :wink2:

Find me a post of mine that states 'all muslims are terrorists'.

You've just proven your idiocy here.

You are clueless.
Reply 78
Original post by ak137
Yep, so is this guy? What's your point?

You claimed that the US justice system was flawed based on the fact that Zimmerman has not been given a life sentence even though he has not stood trial.

Spoiler

Reply 79

Its not anything to do with not being a single parent

Wrong again.
they get help with that in this country to manage alone, and many women do.

Financially yes. But raising kids on your own isnt an easy job. The government doesn't do that for you LOL

Your ignorant and bigoted if you think you know more about this than me. You are the one sticking up for the man for godsake. No surprise though, really.

If it makes you sleep at night!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending