Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

B426 - Securing Our Borders Bill 2012

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    Nobody wants immigrants here that gives us justification to throw them out but still doesn't take their hope of staying here entirely.
    *******s.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    *******s.
    Nobody actively wants immigrants here about 80% of people are indifferent and 20% are against. (random statistics made up ftw) but the only people that actively want more immigrants here immigrants themselves.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    No, an awful bill. 1 month to find a job paying over £25,000? You do realise there's a shortage of jobs?
    If you think that's deemed to be a problem, I think you've more or less missed the whole ideal of the bill. That is rather the point, I believe.

Anyway, this bill is bad for just about every reason it's possible for a bill to be bad. Were I an MP, it'd definitely be a no from me.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you are letting your own situation in real life influence your political decisions that can impact on the entire country. How would you react if Mr Rich said "I am voting for 0% tax for all people earning over £200k per year because I earn over that and plan to take advantage of it"
    As far as I am concerned the rich are entitled to vote for the party that promises the lowest tax levels.

And I'm voting against because I want to protect the right of British citizens to migrate within Europe. This compromises this right.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    As far as I am concerned the rich are entitled to vote for the party that promises the lowest tax levels.

And I'm voting against because I want to protect the right of British citizens to migrate within Europe. This compromises this right.
    This is the reason why I am Voting No to this Disastrous Bill
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the bill in principle, but I do not agree with it in this form, on the basis that I agree with the idea that citizens of a member state should be allowed to travel freely within Europe. I also believe that the bill is poorly written.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nobody actively wants immigrants here about 80% of people are indifferent and 20% are against. (random statistics made up ftw) but the only people that actively want more immigrants here immigrants themselves.
    If 80% are indifferent, then you're wrong.

This bill wouldn't be passed in the RL Houses of Parliament, and they won't here.

This is an awful, impractical, and dangerous bill.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Ironic that you choose a speech about a unified American-ness to justify banning immigrants to the United Kingdom.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bad bill. From what you have been saying, I was expecting a lot better.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    A permanent job is any job that isn't listed as temporary.

We do not have to pay EU fines, just like foreign diplomats refuse to pay our congestion charge we can refuse to pay their fines.

We don't want people with more than two children as they will drain the state's resources and lead to population growth.

Britain has no duty to the international community. Each country only has the duty to serve its citizens.
    Your comments are incredibly foolish and unfounded. It's astonishing that you are a minister.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacCuishy)
    Bad bill. From what you have been saying, I was expecting a lot better.
    It may be poorly written but ideas such as blocking EU free movement and having a sensible policy on refugees is necessary. You bill lacks both of these and is why it will not pass the house.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Nay. The bill doesn't appear to be practical to implement in any way.

Did you consult with your fellow Government members when drafting this bill? I notice that it has been submitted as a PMB, which would suggest they were either unwilling to support it or simply never had the chance to comment due to it being rushed.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    This bill needs better formatting and reorganising if it's going to get even a few Ayes.

I've already stated my vote, I believe?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It may be poorly written but ideas such as blocking EU free movement and having a sensible policy on refugees is necessary. You bill lacks both of these and is why it will not pass the house.
    Well tell us WHY they are necessary. All you have done is made the assertion that "Nobody wants immigrants" amd then provided a quote and false statistics. Give us the facts and convince us.

On a side note, you imply in saying that his will not pass without those two factors that your bill will pass as it has those two factors. Do you really think it will pass? Really?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DebatingGreg)
    Well tell us WHY they are necessary. All you have done is made the assertion that "Nobody wants immigrants" amd then provided a quote and false statistics. Give us the facts and convince us.

On a side note, you imply in saying that his will not pass without those two factors that your bill will pass as it has those two factors. Do you really think it will pass? Really?
    Hear! Immigrants are necessary in order for businesses to expand their operations, as many British people aren't prepared to do many jobs.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    This Bill is almost as badly named as much of the stuff churned out by Congress. (I'm thinking of Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act or Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act.)
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    this bill is both barbaric and disgusting, the fact it starts with the phrase "individuals who will likely be a burden to our society" is vile enough then you read the details...
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its also a no from me.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Crap bill.

NAY
Updated: April 19, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.