The Student Room Group

Why is ICT A-level seen as 'soft'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yh I completely agree it would be a lot more interesting by combining the two a levels.
I'm with OCR and the code was kind of like you had to add a specific number to a date, you had to leave out holidays and weekends but that's from what I can remember, I have a pretty bad memory :l
Reply 41
Being able to use the Microsoft suite (Excel/Access/Word/Powerpoint etc) or similar programs is becoming a core skill, so it is understandable that these will be taught as such. There are core skills qualifications offering exactly that.

GCSE/A level ICT is seemingly just an expansion of that, and nothing at all to do with Computing or programming, which is required knowledge to do well in the (practical side of the) computing industry.

There's a reason Universities very rarely list ICT as a requirement for Computer Science courses. They know it won't teach the skills required for their course (programming) and prefer subjects which have a stronger basis in logic (Maths/Sciences) or the more applicable Computing A level.

In my opinion, ICT should not be disbanded, but revised to become the core skills subject compulsory for everyone pre-GCSE (or perhaps as an extra core-skills qualification at GCSE, like the core skills English/Maths qualifications). At GCSE they should replace it with Computing and it can be optional.
Original post by Hearty_Beast
Because it's mostly coursework...

No...20% is not most
I am actually planning to take ICT, MATHS and PHYSICS. And i really don't know are they useful. I also want to change my opinion and replace ICT with chemistry. Is this a right decision

Quick Reply

Latest