Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting a TV

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I haven't been living in London for too long...the horrid flat I've moved into doesn't have a TV. Which means I have to start this from scratch.
    What are the best packages to choose for TV? Is there someone who can just provide everything for me and fix it?
    I have bad experiences with internet, phone contract etc. I imagine days going by before the TV can be delivered, installation people telling me there is something wrong, me ending up with having to fix something myself which I am incapable of (I cannot set up stuff like that myself).

So what do you recommend..easiest solution, not super expensive..

(And btw I might not stay at that apartment for too long, so if the contract can be transferred or whatever would be great...)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    ill do it for a small fee?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    ill do it for a small fee?

Seriously, I'm completely at scratch here. I've never had to buy this for myself as my last flat had a tv.
    Do I buy tv and program package separately? How do I know if it's easy to install and do I need to register with some sort of authority about paying license?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    You want a TV package, like Sky? Or an actual TV? Or... both? All you need to do is buy a TV from Amazon or Argos or something, plug it in, and order Sky online. They'll come and set it all up. What's so confusing? Idgi.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    You want a TV package, like Sky? Or an actual TV? Or... both? All you need to do is buy a TV from Amazon or Argos or something, plug it in, and order Sky online. They'll come and set it all up. What's so confusing? Idgi.
    Both a TV package and an actual TV, yes.
    I considered Sky because it's what I've heard others use, it is reckoned to be the best?
    Are there other places than Argos which are good for electronics?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aconcernedparent)
    Both a TV package and an actual TV, yes.
    I considered Sky because it's what I've heard others use, it is reckoned to be the best?
    Are there other places than Argos which are good for electronics?
    Yeah, Sky's pretty good. You could order the television online or go to Curry's or Comet or something, idk.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth do you want an idiot box?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    Yeah, Sky's pretty good. You could order the television online or go to Curry's or Comet or something, idk.
    I go to Argos and it says by "PC input socket" or "component video socket". ??
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Seriously, I'm completely at scratch here. I've never had to buy this for myself as my last flat had a tv.
    Do I buy tv and program package separately? How do I know if it's easy to install and do I need to register with some sort of authority about paying license?
    Yes, you go into a shop like comet or Argos. One that sells a large variety of electrical products. This is where you buy your TV, some stores do have a delivery and installation service, but I have no experience with this.

You have to contact companies like Virgin or Sky for TV packages, if you are a new customer installation is often free of charge and they will do that for you.

And yes you will need to pay TV license (unless your landlord has done it all ready?)

That link will take you to their website.

Hope I helped.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    Yes, you go into a shop like comet or Argos. One that sells a large variety of electrical products. This is where you buy your TV, some stores do have a delivery and installation service, but I have no experience with this.

You have to contact companies like Virgin or Sky for TV packages, if you are a new customer installation is often free of charge and they will do that for you.

And yes you will need to pay TV license (unless your landlord has done it all ready?)

Hope I helped.
    Thanks so much!

I'm looking at Argos...why are there so many options! I have no clue about what to choose. 3D, LED LCD?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much!

I'm looking at Argos...why are there so many options! I have no clue about what to choose. 3D, LED LCD?
    It depends on how much you want to spend...

Read some reviews online and if you possibly can go to a shop where they have some on display that you can see for yourself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how much you want to spend...

Read some reviews online and if you possibly can go to a shop where they have some on display that you can see for yourself.
    Thing is I don't know what those things mean

I want a quite large TV (not one to hang on the wall) with a high quality screen but not one of those most expensive. I don't know what 'expensive' is though, as I've never bought one before.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much!

LCD is usually the way to go for the best quality/price balance. 3D is still really expensive and I personally find it gimmicky.

You'll want to make sure it's HD or HD Ready though. 1080p is what you should look for, you can get 720p screens too which are not as good (and therefore should be cheaper)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    LCD is usually the way to go for the best quality/price balance. 3D is still really expensive and I personally find it gimmicky.

You'll want to make sure it's HD or HD Ready though. 1080p is what you should look for, you can get 720p screens too which are not as good (and therefore should be cheaper)
    Thanks! I hope Argos installs it as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Hope I helped.
    I have to give up on the Sky project.. It said I needed a landline, I said I did not have one, then it said there is registered a landline on my address and asked for the landline number which I don't have... I thought there was no landline, I don't have internet (only the type ou pay for by the minute. When BT came to my house they said the wire had been cut). Sigh I knew I wouldn't be able to fix this fuss-free.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have to give up on the Sky project.. It said I needed a landline, I said I did not have one, then it said there is registered a landline on my address and asked for the landline number which I don't have... I thought there was no landline, I don't have internet (only the type ou pay for by the minute. When BT came to my house they said the wire had been cut). Sigh I knew I wouldn't be able to fix this fuss-free.
    In the meantime you might want to get a digibox. You can get them for less than £20 these days. And they really don't require much setting up (maybe are as simple as plugging it in scanning for channels then watching TV) and it's just a one off fee. You'll still need a TV licence though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the meantime you might want to get a digibox. You can get them for less than £20 these days. And they really don't require much setting up (maybe are as simple as plugging it in scanning for channels then watching TV) and it's just a one off fee. You'll still need a TV licence though.
    To be honest, I don't know if the TV license has been paid, but since there is no TV at the property, I assume not. If I try to pay, maybe they will tell me if it has been paid on my address?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't know if the TV license has been paid, but since there is no TV at the property, I assume not. If I try to pay, maybe they will tell me if it has been paid on my address?
    They will almost certainly tell you if it has been paid if you go on the website and try to pay, if for some reason this is not the case then you ought to be able to apply for a refund. If it hasn't then they will send you many MANY letters! Currently they're trying to scare me with legal action. Unfortunately for them I'm perfectly within the law in not needing a TV licence.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They will almost certainly tell you if it has been paid if you go on the website and try to pay, if for some reason this is not the case then you ought to be able to apply for a refund. If it hasn't then they will send you many MANY letters! Currently they're trying to scare me with legal action. Unfortunately for them I'm perfectly within the law in not needing a TV licence.
    Is there some kind of discount for student? I choose the option saying I was a student. It came to 145 for a little under a year.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there some kind of discount for student? I choose the option saying I was a student. It came to 145 for a little under a year.
    They've not told me about any kind of discount except for the over 75s.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 14, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.