The Student Room Group

not doing anything for my "big" 18th. is this normal?

Scroll to see replies

I'm having about 15 friends over. We're pitching a very very big tent in the garden and we're going to kip out there for the evening. Okay, so it's not the usual 'clubbing'/'getting drunk' party but we're not the kind to get drunk anyway.
Reply 21
Original post by Dandaman9999
Different people spend their birthdays in different ways. Some people treat them as if they are symbolic days which should be cherished and enjoyed, whereas others don't celebrate them and say they are like any other day in the year.

Just because you're 18 doesn't make it any different: celebrate your birthday the way you want! The day is designed for you (if you want to view it like that) :biggrin:

This. :smile:

My 18th birthday pretty much consisted of going to a garden centre (I am so cool :cool:), and then for meal out at a restaurant. I didn't want a big fuss made over it.

I had a good time, despite not having some kind of wild celebration. :tongue:
Neither am I but I have an exam the day after :frown:

Probably wouldn't have done anything anyway, not a huge birthday fan >_>
Well I had a meal with family on the actual day as it was a school night, then 4 days later I had a party with friends. I don't usually celebrate now unless it is a big birthday. However, that being said, I don't know if I will be celebrating my 21st at the end of next year, as I would be on my year abroad and only a few weeks into it. Oh well, guess I will either celebrate my 20th or 22nd then :P
Birthdays are overrated
Yeah I rarely do anything either. Outside of TSR I imagine that's quite unusual. Even my more reclusive friends tend to do something, but who cares, it doesn't really mean anything, and if you'd rather not do anything then don't :smile:. Self-effacement is a charming trait.
I didn't really do anything for my 18th. Most of my friends had a massive pub crawl thing but I just wasn't interested. I went to pizza express with my 3 'favourite' friends and the most 'wild' thing we did was have a Bailey's coffee after the meal...

Don't feel pressured into doing something huge because everyone else is. In reality it's not that big a deal and the people who have some kind of crazy drunk night out probably won't remember it and will have to deal with the hangover the next day! Just do what you're comfortable with. If that means sitting at home on the internet, that's fine, just as it would be fine to want to go out.

:smile:
Who cares whether it's "normal" or not? It's your birthday, do whatever you want. I don't think I've celebrated mine since I was 15, I usually just take the opportunity to ask my parents for things that any other day of the year they'd just say "no way, it's too expensive" :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Do whatever the hell you feel like, don't worry about customs or what other people do.
I never celebrate any of mine- I hate birthdays- reminds me of what I don't have.

You need friends and some popularity to have a birthday, really, yet you can't opt out of having a birthday, sigh.

Although, this year I had a drink in a pub with two people and it felt great- because someone actually wanted to bother about me.
Reply 30
Get some frienda and head the pub, thats what i did. Not a big night as it was only the local town. After the pub we walked back to mine and just spent the rest getting hammered on the stash i'd bought. There were 20 of us so it wasn't massive but it was a good laugh.
Reply 31
Age is just a number. These days I don't really see the point of celebrating any particular age apart from birth and perhaps 100.

Birth to be congratulated for being able to take place.

100+ to be congratulated for putting up with that many decades of the worlds crap.
November is ages away! I can't stop thinking about my big 22nd which is in 2 months time! Eugh. Haha.
For my 18th I went to a club with a small group of friends (there were 5 of us). I didn't get too drunk and it was just a nice night out :smile:
For my best friend's 18th I went out for a meal with her a her family.
So not everyone dos something big.
Reply 33
I think I was in college for mine, then I went the local Wetherspoons with a couple of friends LOL and that was it. I usually just go out with my friends but try and not make it a 'birthday' thing. My family aren't birthday people at all, it's generally a card and 'happy birthday' affair, then just continue as normal, we never go for meals or anything like that. I tend to go out with my friends for a meal and a few drinks.

My friends are all proper family-orientated though, so they'll ask me how I spent my birthday, what I got etc. and I'll be like... I spent it watching TV and eating the box of chocolates I got.
It's really not that weird. I know plenty of people who just don't see birthdays as a reason to celebrate as it's just a certain number of years since you were born - not exactly an achievement. Tbh, I'm a bit like that. I prefer to save up my money and spend it taking my friends out for dinner if I've done something well or buying them presents when they do well. I just don't really think much of birthdays, so don't worry about not doing something big.

All I did on my 18th was bake a cake, because well, you don't need an excuse to eat yummy food, hehe!
Original post by chaosdestro0
It was my 18th today. I didn't do anything special at all. And my experience with alcohol is not good, it was either disgusting or didn't taste of anything.

Once you're at uni (or travelling - backpackers are even better than students at this), you'll learn the art of drinking anything cheap and disgusting (including wine that smells like you could put it on your chips) for the sole purpose of getting drunk. You start to invent lots of different techniques - orange juice / orange squash / lemonade into white wine always works if a little desperate. Orange juice is nicer than orange squash, and lemonade is more traditional, but has less effect on the flavour.
Original post by Sapphire33
I'm going to be 18 in November and i honestly can't believe it. Time has gone by so quick i didn't even realise im about to reach the big "18th" as people call it but sadly i won't be doing anything for my birthday. it was the same with my 17th, 16th, etc. the last time i did something for my birthday was my 12th and i had it in mcdonalds LOL. I dont really have any friends i could invite so i could possibly throw a birthday bash and i don't want to do anything with my family. i was thinking of going clubbing or going to a bar on my own? i quite like the sound of nursing a drink on my own. i dont actuallly mind not doing anything for my 18th but it i can't help but feel that i should do something quite big to mark my being a legal adult. is it normal not to do anything for your 18th birthday party?

It is my 18th today and I am basically forced to do nothing. Well I am not forced but I'm scared some people will view it as a celebration of the 100th year anniversary of the Titanic sinking :/ but I am fine I don't drink anyway :biggrin:
Reply 37
i didnt do anything, mainly because it was very early in the year and no one else was 18 but hey ho it isnt that big of a deal ...
Reply 38
I had a barbecue and went out drinking. So bascially what I did before I was 18 anyway, only difference being I didn't pay for one drink all night and I got ****ing hammered.
And a free taxi there and back.
And someone even bought me a birthday kebab.

Good enough, I did force one of the bouncers in town to ID me though "I've been letting you in for the past 2 years, you bastard" was the response I got :biggrin:
Original post by Sapphire33
I'm going to be 18 in November and i honestly can't believe it. Time has gone by so quick i didn't even realise im about to reach the big "18th" as people call it but sadly i won't be doing anything for my birthday. it was the same with my 17th, 16th, etc. the last time i did something for my birthday was my 12th and i had it in mcdonalds LOL. I dont really have any friends i could invite so i could possibly throw a birthday bash and i don't want to do anything with my family. i was thinking of going clubbing or going to a bar on my own? i quite like the sound of nursing a drink on my own. i dont actuallly mind not doing anything for my 18th but it i can't help but feel that i should do something quite big to mark my being a legal adult. is it normal not to do anything for your 18th birthday party?

Invite me and some other TSRians and make it the official 2012 TSR Party and become a TSR legend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending