Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you can afford it, get yourself a Personal Trainer

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoneyFlux)
    how is that a rip off?

you clearly dont know anything about how much pt's cost. thats less than 30quid an hour. which is TOTALLY normal. you'll find it hard to find a place who will do it for less. this is a DW gym btw, so this is normal standard.
    You paid money for FREE information and common sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HilariousNinja)
    I'm not talking about compared to other PT's, I mean the general value of a PT is overblown.
    to be fair thats what i thought at first. but as soon as i did my first sessions, i was like woah, never felt so fit and healthy in my life!. and every second was used. and now i kinda feel like every penny was worth it. and im sure others who have done personal training would say the same.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    thank you! i thought 30quid an hour is pretty cheap!

dont know where they're getting their info from O_O
    £25 an hour where I live You have to buy 4 lessons though, it's £30 for a one off session.

And that's about as cheap as it gets if you need something decent.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    ive been going to the gym for a full year before all this. and of course ive used all the machines!! but ive been using them not to the best of its ability. The trainer showed me howto stand, how to angle my feet, how to posture my back, how to breathe, how to focus, how to keep going when you want to give up or go slower. and it made all the difference. I have been using the gym for a year before and yes i noticed changes, but the changes ive noticed with a personal trainer showed up within weeks instead of months/years.

why do u think celebrities can be huge at one point, and withing a month or two be a size 8 again and just flawless!??? BECAUSE THEY HAVE NUTRITIONISTS AND PERSONAL TRAINERS.

try it, before you mock it. trust me i used to be like you. laughing it off..but now i see how ive been oh so wrong!..
    Most of what you posted can be learned through dedication and the desire to educate yourself. It's not advanced stuff, just basic nutritional information.

And I agree with whoever said the diet isn't sustainable in the long term.

Yes you will see celebs large one month and then much trimmer the next, but they yoyo back and forth because eventually you crack when you've been depriving yourself for so long. Everyone knows someone who lost x amount of lbs on a seemingly impressive diet, but did they keep it off for 2 years+?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you basically paid someone to tell you that if you eat less than what you currently do you'll lose weight.

A fool and their money is easily parted.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    You paid money for FREE information and common sense.
    look of course the information is on the side of every machine, and i can read!. and yes it is common sense. but the personal trainer works with you, gives you the short cuts, tells you how many times to do something, with how much weight, how fast how slow, what to do next. any idiot can step on a tread mill and walk. but its also the motivation. mentally you perform better when someone is cheering you on, and counting for you, motivating you and telling you EXACTLY how to position yourself, breathe and what not. there is so much more to it, i just cant explain. theres a reason why personal training is seen as a luxury, because it really helps!

http://exercise.about.com/od/persona...naltrainer.htm
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    look of course the information is on the side of every machine, and i can read!. and yes it is common sense. but the personal trainer works with you, gives you the short cuts, tells you how many times to do something, with how much weight, how fast how slow, what to do next. any idiot can step on a tread mill and walk. but its also the motivation. mentally you perform better when someone is cheering you on, and counting for you, motivating you and telling you EXACTLY how to position yourself, breathe and what not. there is so much more to it, i just cant explain. theres a reason why personal training is seen as a luxury, because it really helps!

Skip the PT and subscribe to this guy's Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    to be fair thats what i thought at first. but as soon as i did my first sessions, i was like woah, never felt so fit and healthy in my life!. and every second was used. and now i kinda feel like every penny was worth it. and im sure others who have done personal training would say the same.
    Don't mean to offend you or anyone in here, but, right now I'm thinking "more money than sense".

Just out of curiosity, what magical, extra advice did the PT give you that you could not have easily obtained yourself with a little bit of research and motivation?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    So you basically paid someone to tell you that if you eat less than what you currently do you'll lose weight.

A fool and their money is easily parted.
    ermm i never paid for the nutritionist advice. i was ill with a heart condition so this was all in passing within the clinic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightBear)
    Don't mean to offend you or anyone in here, but, right now I'm thinking "more money than sense".

Just out of curiosity, what magical, extra advice did the PT give you that you could not have easily obtained yourself with a little bit of research and motivation?

basically this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Words of a good salesman.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it sounds like the results you got were because of your own actions, yet because you paid for a personal trainer, you believe the success was because of that instead (perhaps trying to justify the high costs to yourself?). Not trying to be rude but the difference came because you dieted/went to the gym and were motivated, perhaps that motivation came from the personal trainer but that isn't worth £150.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    if it cost you £150 to learn how to work out well, then I think it was money well spent. Well done to you for the progress and the healthier lifestyle!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I learned how to use everything by checking websites for correct form and asking staff at the gym if I wasn't sure.

£150 is the yearly gym membership where I go, not gonna double that for a guy to tell me stuff I can find out for free.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you are given too much credit to the PT. At the end of the day your results were down to you not because some guy was telling you to keep going.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love watching PT's 'working' with the fat kids I do... The only things that motivate moi are my Ipod and my tremendous levels of self-belief (Can'tBuyThat).
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you really want someone to keep you going.. get a spotter. If you're doing cardio, a friend.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a size 12. and i had some complications with my heart this past summer, so i have been told i should start going to the gym, and my doctor even recommended a personal trainer so that they can monitor my heart and start me off easy. i was also put on a diet scheme, which is not only to lose weight but is how u should be eating normally. so i will share this information with you..(what my doc said)

Morning:

Eat light. Do not eat to the extent of being full. breakfast is just so that you alert your body that you're up. so drink half a glass of orange juice, and maybe a fruit like a banana..or a cereal. dont do a full english breakfast thing!

Lunch:
    You can basically eat anything here, but dont mix carbs with protein! so if u wanna eat pasta, make it a vegetarian dish or if you eating a meat filled dish then eat it with veg. just keep carbs and protein separate.

Dinner:
    ONLY PROTEIN!! This is most vital. If u make a steak for instance, dont add potatoes with it, leave the potatoes out and eat it with vegetables. Protein should be the last thing you eat before you go to bed, because while you sleep the protein works up the fat burning, and burns the fat faster. carbs just will sit there and store as fat.

Ditch the fizzy drink if u really cant then drink sparkling water, put a slice of lemon in it and lime, its just as refreshing! drink lots of water.

Eat as little chocolate as possible!...At least cut your chocolate intake to half.

also dont drink lots of tea or coffee.

GET YOURSELF A PERSONAL TRAINER.

i did 6 sessions for 150pounds and it was the best investment ever.
    i learnt how to REALLY use the machines, and how far i can push myself. it makes such a big difference and was worth every penny. please do it i used to be terrified of using the weight balls, cos i didnt know how to use them and was scared id look like a fool. but now i know how to use them! and i love it!

my upper body got so toned. my tummy flattened instantly cos i was eating less carbs. and im now a proud size 8!

i started in october, and i turned a size 8 in 3/4months id say. BUT i noticed an improvement by the second personal training session!

but if you really find it difficult to do the food diet, then do the personal training first, because that was my real motivator.

hope this was helpful for some.

Good Luck!
    I only have one problem with this diet?
    What the hell is wrong with drinking tea?
    It's mostly water... It has virtually no calories in it. I drink mine without sugar so that's not a problem, the only thing is milk. Which is giving my calcium and some protein. Milk is a low-fat food/drink. So tea is fine really...

I'm gonna do the diet. Minus the tea. I like my tea
    5 cups a day for me (which I use to stop me snacking so...)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseverance)
    To be honest it sounds like the results you got were because of your own actions, yet because you paid for a personal trainer, you believe the success was because of that instead (perhaps trying to justify the high costs to yourself?). Not trying to be rude but the difference came because you dieted/went to the gym and were motivated, perhaps that motivation came from the personal trainer but that isn't worth £150.
    i disagree. i actually could care less about the 150 pounds. my mom actually paid it for me, so the money didnt bother me at all, she would have paid even if it costed more. i dont need to justify spending that money. Im just speaking from my experience.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    So what he told you was something you found on the internet as well for free?

Tbh if you know nothing about fitness and are too lazy to google it /read the internet for an hour than a personal trainer for a few sessions can be useful but beyond that it's largely throwing money away to be told the same stuff repeatedly...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.