The Student Room Group

What AS-level?

I need a 4th A-level to choose... however, I am stuck between Economics or ICT. I am going to drop this subject after AS-level, so I was wondering...

The ICT exam board is WJEC.

I think the Economics exam board is AQA... not sure though! :/

I hope to go into some sort of science based career, e.g. Biomedicine.

What subject is better suited for my ideal career?
What is easier? (as I am only doing it to AS).
What looks better on my application for University?

I hope to attend Lancaster University.

Thanks,
:smile:
Reply 1
I personally think that ICT would be more useful, but I only do economics out of the two so I can't really make much of a comparison:/ economics is really good though, it has a lot of interesting content. I guess it all depends on what you'll prefer...you're stuck with it for a year so make sure you choose the one that sounds more interesting to you
Reply 2
Original post by nadster
I personally think that ICT would be more useful, but I only do economics out of the two so I can't really make much of a comparison:/ economics is really good though, it has a lot of interesting content. I guess it all depends on what you'll prefer...you're stuck with it for a year so make sure you choose the one that sounds more interesting to you

Is economics hard? Im a A/B student, would I struggle? As I know its quite a hard subject. :/
Reply 3
Original post by TopStudent7
Is economics hard? Im a A/B student, would I struggle? As I know its quite a hard subject. :/

I'm not gonna lie, my whole class struggled at first and only now are they starting to understand slightly. But then again, I don't exactly go to a fantastic school. If you're an A/B student you'll be fine :wink:
My objective opinion, not having taken either, but with friends doing both... I'd say that ICT is easier, but Economics is looked upon as better by unis (because it's more difficult)... (also, ICT is mostly coursework, whereas economics is mostly exam based. ie: ICT will take more work through the year, but less revision at the end (at least the exam boards my school does))

For biomed, I dunno which would be more useful. I wouldn't say either are massively related, though you're likely to be using computers in any job for the rest of your life...
Reply 5
I do Economics and ICT and I would stay away from ICT to be honest. It's very dull and time consuming on the coursework. Economics is much more interesting and universities like it.
Reply 6
Original post by TopStudent7
I need a 4th A-level to choose... however, I am stuck between Economics or ICT. I am going to drop this subject after AS-level, so I was wondering...

The ICT exam board is WJEC.

I think the Economics exam board is AQA... not sure though! :/

I hope to go into some sort of science based career, e.g. Biomedicine.

What subject is better suited for my ideal career?
What is easier? (as I am only doing it to AS).
What looks better on my application for University?

I hope to attend Lancaster University.

Thanks,
:smile:

From my observation the maths and science students in my economics class did substantially better than those who chose it as a compliment to business studies .

I personally think Economics is a breeze compared to Chemistry / Physics.
Reply 7
You should probably take ICT because Economics is a tough subject and You should have an easier 5th subject but be warned the coursework can be extremely challenging and you have to solve a real situation professionally-not sure whether that's A2 though.
It depends on how good your memory is :tongue: Economics will probably prove to be a far more interesting course, but like biology it has A LOT of content in it. ICT on the other hand has a HUUUUUUUGE coursework project which will take up a lot of your across the year. If you're good at understanding ideas and concepts and applying them (alongside some basic maths), I'd stick with economics.

Quick Reply

Latest