The Student Room Group

What can get you kicked off of a Medical Course?

I know someone doing a medical degree who is living a pretty erratic lifestyle, and I'm worried she could get kicked off her course if she got found out.

Basically the main concerns are:
She drink drives a lot
She smokes weed
In her job she sometimes dances in her underwear for money

Would any of these things actually get her kicked out if the university found out about them, or is she safe since none of it technically affects her study/she hasn't actually been 'caught'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Quinzel
I know someone doing a medical degree who is living a pretty erratic lifestyle, and I'm worried she could get kicked off her course if she got found out.

Basically the main concerns are:
She drink drives a lot
She smokes weed
In her job she sometimes dances in her underwear for money

Would any of these things actually get her kicked out if the university found out about them, or is she safe since none of it technically affects her study/she hasn't actually been 'caught'?

Give me her number
Reply 2
The first two, I'd have to say yes to. The third one, I'm not sure because she might be able to say "Look! I'm just surviving and getting any money I can to get by".
Reply 3
Seeing as the first two are illegal I would say it's a no brainer in those cases.

As Selecao says, the last one is more up for debate and would probably depend. I don't think it would be easy to argue that it is a fitness to practice issue tbh, though there is the issue of if one of the patients she was observing recognised her from her job.

I imagine it may depend on the medical school :|
Reply 4
Is she single?

Also, she can't get kicked out for stripping for money but it obviously wouldn't look too well for her if they found out somehow.
Reply 5
well shes going to make one seductive doctor :colone:
Reply 6
Making love to a cadaver.
Reply 7
She sounds like she's been a very naughty girl...
Reply 8
The first two, certainly, The last, probably not
Reply 9
Sending death threats on student forums is a quick way to get thrown out :wink:
Reply 10
The thiurd one dewfinatly can't. I know of a lot of people at university who are prositutes to pay their way through (the legal way).
the first two really?
I know a girl who smokes weed, who got an offer this year to start in sept
Original post by AishaTara
the first two really?
I know a girl who smokes weed, who got an offer this year to start in sept

But does the uni know she smokes weed?
I would like to think the uni would send her to a addiction counsellor for the weed rather than throwing her out.
Original post by Dominic101
But does the uni know she smokes weed?

most probably not otherwise she wouldnt have an offer if they knew about the weed. Normal cigarettes is fine though
Original post by AishaTara
most probably not otherwise she wouldnt have an offer if they knew about the weed. Normal cigarettes is fine though

But op is worried about if she.... I'm mean her friend would get kicked of the course if they found out
Original post by Dominic101
But op is worried about if she.... I'm mean her friend would get kicked of the course if they found out

They'd probably speak to her about it, because they dont kick people off just like that as it costs alot to train a doctor, plus it depends what her friend is like as a student; hard working, making an effort not just getting in and doing the bbare minimum.
Original post by Hippokrates
I would like to think the uni would send her to a addiction counsellor for the weed rather than throwing her out.

Interesting. Possibly.

It would probably be unlikely they'd kick her straight off, drug addiction seems to be very wide spread across among medical professionals so they might be a bit understanding.
Reply 18
Drink Driving yes

Smoking Weed - really depends on the Uni itself

The 3rd one. No
Essentially if you break the law, then the university will take action because doctors have to be responsible and honest. However, that doesn't mean they will kick her out straight away.

The last one probably wouldn't matter. It is generally frowned upon in society, but it is not illegal. Therefore I don't think there's an issue. An example of something like this would be the case of Dr Subaig Singh. He qualified from Nottingham and was an MMA cagefighter during and after his medical degree. He didn't keep it a secret or anything, and he's still working as a part-time locum now, so it's perfectly fine to do stuff like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending