Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to go to gig without being spotted?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to see a reeeeally embarrassing band soon and I was wondering if anybody has tips on how not to be spotted by people I know?

Unfortunately, the gig is on a road frequented by my friends. If they find out I like this band, all my musical credibility goes down the drain and I do some work where musical credibility is important. Should I wear a disguise? Cover my face with my hoodie? What is the best option? I need ideas please! Admitting I like this band and I am going to see them is not an option. I should add that I want to get to front row, so I will need to queue early, which maximises the probability of being spotted.

I already know I'm being very childish and shallow, so please don't tell me off about that.

To give you an idea of the size of the problem, this is the equivalent of somebody who claims to be a jazz fanatic going to see N-Dubz.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grow a pair and come clean. Liking different music is not a bad thing. Believe me, I've been in your position! I came clean by turning it into something funny and I'm still alive

If you really need a disguise, you could get a wig and go as a girl.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    What band is it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wear a morph suit.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    What would John Peel (R.I.P) do ?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    who is the band?!
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably One Direction.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, surely you get more credibility by not lying about the music you like and having a varied taste and open mind to all music? If I were part of the band you claim to like, I would be embarrassed by you being my fan and wouldn't want you in the front row.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    clearasil ultra at least ten days in advance, thank me later
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well uh.. it's not One Direction, it's Nickelback. :ninja: If it was One Direction, I could have tried to pass it off as a joke. I'm sorry if any of you guys genuinely like Nickelback, but if my friends find out, they will NOT let this one go. It's not about sticking to one genre, it's the just the stigma attached to loving Nickelback so much that I want to see them live in front row.

Notethis - What are you talking about? Clearasil Ultra? I don't have spots - how will that help me to hide?!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    True, Nickelback are pretty bad, but surely your friends will accept that! You could just get to the venue early and keep your head down, wear a hoodie or clothes you don't normally wear. Surely your friends won't be patrolling the queue area anyway?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -starlight-)
    Well uh.. it's not One Direction, it's Nickelback. :ninja: If it was One Direction, I could have tried to pass it off as a joke. I'm sorry if any of you guys genuinely like Nickelback, but if my friends find out, they will NOT let this one go. It's not about sticking to one genre, it's the just the stigma attached to loving Nickelback so much that I want to see them live in front row.

Notethis - What are you talking about? Clearasil Ultra? I don't have spots - how will that help me to hide?!
    Despite having trouble taking this problem seriously - if I HAVE to, I'd suggest some temporary dye and a little guyliner, with different clothes.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL oh dear, Nickelback are pretty awful tbf. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA I can't believe anyone would waste their money going to see Nickelback, you're going to be a laughing stalk!!!!!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hood up, look down. Then slap yourself for liking Nickelback.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -starlight-)

Ignore list.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -aimz)
    True, Nickelback are pretty bad, but surely your friends will accept that! You could just get to the venue early and keep your head down, wear a hoodie or clothes you don't normally wear. Surely your friends won't be patrolling the queue area anyway?
    I knew I had no taste in music, but I quite like Nickelback. What's "wrong" with them, out of interest?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love how people were supportive at the start, going "You should just come clean about the music you like!", and then when it was revealed that the topic creator was going to see Nickelback, it turned into "BURN HIIIIIIM!"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i personally dont see whats wrong with nickelback, i quite like them tbh. just be honest about it. i like many bands that my friends dont and have been occasionally mocked for them (buckcherry and black stone cherry are the 2 main ones i love but i get mocked for how excited i was to see buckcherry at download by my soon to be brother in law). i dont care if i get mocked for them i still like them and still listen to them happily. i dont see what is wrong with admitting you like a band just cos your friends dont - it seems kinda lame really, its fun to have variety.

on the other hand you could just go as you are and they may not go past you, or if they do go past just duck down behind someone or turn around so they dont see you, i doubt theyll be paying that much attention to the crowd tbh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Be really really open about your fondness of Nickelback, to the point of annoying absolutely everyone around you.

Not only will no one make fun of you for it, but nobody will even dare mention it for fear of you going on about them.

Problem solved

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.