Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I experienced sleep paralysis today...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It just didn't feel right. Not being able to open my eyes, move my body or speak was scary enough, but I could feel something on my bed... the movement started at the top of my bed, then beside me (although nothing touched me), then back at the top.

If I let the feeling take over my head felt 'heavy' and the movement on my bed became more noticeable. I felt drowsy throughout and wanted to fall back to sleep after I had regained control of my body, but I had already been sleeping for around 13 hours (had not slept for 32 hours beforehand), so it was time to get up, and now I'm wide awake.

I understand that many people report this kind of thing during sleep paralysis, mine didn't last very long, I focused on wriggling my toes, and that got me out of it. But feeling the movement on my bed was the worst part - I guess I just want some reassurance that it was all in my head...

Also, I would be interested to hear other sleep paralysis stories.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    If I let the feeling take over my head felt 'heavy' and the movement on my bed became more noticeable. I felt drowsy throughout and wanted to fall back to sleep after I had regained control of my body, but I had already been sleeping for around 13 hours (had not slept for 32 hours beforehand), so it was time to get up, and now I'm wide awake.
    This probably explains most of it.

When I wasn't getting much sleep I would get some kind of sleep paralysis quite often, but when I got it my eyes were open so it was like trying to wake up but not being able to. Sometimes like you described there would be a feeling of some kind of presence approaching or on me. It was a little disconcerting the first few times but once you get used to it and realise what it is it's no big deal.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    This probably explains most of it.

When I wasn't getting much sleep I would get some kind of sleep paralysis quite often, but when I got it my eyes were open so it was like trying to wake up but not being able to. Sometimes like you described there would be a feeling of some kind of presence approaching or on me. It was a little disconcerting the first few times but once you get used to it and realise what it is it's no big deal.
    Thanks for that I have been pretty sleep deprived this week, this would be the second time I've slept for 12+ hours after being awake for over 24 hours.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its even more scary when you can ONLY open you eyes and you ave just had a nightmare before!
    Ive tried to scream before when its happend and all that comes out is lite groan.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Its even more scary when you can ONLY open you eyes and you ave just had a nightmare before!
    Ive tried to scream before when its happend and all that comes out is lite groan.
    I was trying to call out to my sister but no words would come out, I felt less scared knowing my sister was in the room
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard about this... freaky stuff! I heard about people seeing demons on them when in this state or something weird.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like an Alien abduction to me. Any irregularities in your anus and or nostril?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first time I had it my head was just under the covers, and it felt like a massive spider or something was scuttling just outside. Scared the **** out of me that time.

In hindsight, and on subsequent occasions it's pretty fun and weird, when you actually know what's going on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    did you see the hat man ghost?

or the old hag?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sword)
    did you see the hat man ghost?

or the old hag?
    :P nope! If it happens again I'm just going to let the feeling take over and fall back to sleep. Its lucid dreaming I want to be able to master...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    :P nope! If it happens again I'm just going to let the feeling take over and fall back to sleep. Its lucid dreaming I want to be able to master...
    I had a lucid dream once - it was awesome! It's just like you're awake in your dream. Everything becomes super vivid, like real life, and you get to do whatever you want! I assume you've read about 'reality tests'? Basically, that's how I started mine. For some reason in my dream I decided to do a reality check (I checked my hands, because apparently in dreams they don't look normal, and they looked all 'hazy' so that's when my dream became lucid). It happened after I'd been up for like 22 hours... so I guess maybe a change in sleeping pattern can increase the chances of it?

I read about sleep paralysis as well, and apparently hallucination/hearing sounds/ experiencing sensations that aren't there is very common in sleep paralysis. Many people often 'see' a figure by their bed. But it's just because you're awake, but your body is still 'dreaming' - the chemical that prevents movement whilst sleeping is still active.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. It's completely harmless. I get it quite a lot and I have had quite a few freaky experiences with it. I agree with Arianto; when you know what's going on, it's quite fun and weird.

Good luck with lucid dreaming. Reality checking and WBTB (Wake-Back-To-Bed - don't know if you've heard about it) work wonders for me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just googled this and that came up ' When it occurs upon falling asleep, the person remains aware while the body shuts down for REM sleep, and it is called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis'. I thought this happened to everyone
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I experienced the 'old hag' and it has been easily the most terrifying experience of my life. I've only suffered from sleep paralysis on two occasions, and on the first one I didn't know what sleep paralysis was so genuinely thought what happened was real.

I woke up to find this very eery sense of dread that seemed unjustified. I then remember noticing a faint outline of a figure at the corner of my room. The figure started slowly edging towards me and I was fixated on it, and didn't even try to move because of the sheer terror, otherwise I would have realised the "paralysis" aspect of sleep paralysis. It came up to the side of my bed and knelt down over me and I felt this pressure on my chest. As I said, truly terrifying. To be honest with you, I haven't slept the same since, although I try telling myself it was all in my head, it is such a vivid and realistic experience that it feels 100& real at the time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Like a BAWS)
    I experienced the 'old hag' and it has been easily the most terrifying experience of my life. I've only suffered from sleep paralysis on two occasions, and on the first one I didn't know what sleep paralysis was so genuinely thought what happened was real.

I woke up to find this very eery sense of dread that seemed unjustified. I then remember noticing a faint outline of a figure at the corner of my room. The figure started slowly edging towards me and I was fixated on it, and didn't even try to move because of the sheer terror, otherwise I would have realised the "paralysis" aspect of sleep paralysis. It came up to the side of my bed and knelt down over me and I felt this pressure on my chest. As I said, truly terrifying. To be honest with you, I haven't slept the same since, although I try telling myself it was all in my head, it is such a vivid and realistic experience that it feels 100& real at the time.
    Tell me about it, the movement on my bed felt too real... but my symptoms, especially feeling super drowsy after I regained control of my body, is typical of sleep paralysis, so I know that it was all in my head But if I saw the old hag I think my feelings would be quite the opposite...
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shane Dawson's sleep paralysis experience is quite interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwc3wxusrjs
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    The trick is not to be scared, you may not be able to move but sleep paralysis can actually be a positive experience if you accept what is happening and embrace it.

Obviously you're going to have a bad trip if you start ****ting yourself, so if you relax and accept it you will have good hallucinations. Remember that any entities you meet are just in your head, and they will become a good or bad entity depending on how you perceive them.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    sleep with a gat blud NO FEAR xxxxxxxxxx
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a lucid dreamer (which means I kinda feel this state in my sleep whenever I dream). I've learnt to like it... It's quite cool being able to control yourself and everything in your dreams Not getting them as much though lately :'(
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This very often to ne, sometimes it's quite cool, but yesterday It took a whine to come out and a thought I was holding someones hand so I tried squuezing it then nothing happened, and then I couldn't breath agh god this time was just awful

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.