Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I experienced sleep paralysis today...

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    God, sleep paralysis sounds awful. I'm curious, but I hope that if I do ever experience it I manage to stay calm.

Lucid dreaming on the other hand sounds pretty awesome. I wish there was some way to induce it...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I feel for you OP. I used to experience SP at sporadic moments before, but now they've become more regular, and they're still as scary as ever. There is always a black figure present, and like yourself that heavy feeling on the chest. I learnt how to avoid experiencing SP, but it's not always possible to stop it from occuring, however there are ways to get out of that paralysed state.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I made a thread about this when it happened to me. Usually happens when ill.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moscardini)
    I just googled this and that came up ' When it occurs upon falling asleep, the person remains aware while the body shuts down for REM sleep, and it is called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis'. I thought this happened to everyone
    I'm sure this happened to me once years ago when i was falling asleep. It felt really strange and I got scared haha but managed to get myself out of it pretty quickly
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That happened to me a couple months back... scary stuff. I was sleepy and had fallen asleep in a really awkward position on my back and a light on. Couldn't move for about 5 seconds; luckily no hallucinations. I guess I learned my lesson and make sure I sleep on my stomach and avoid leaving things on that might wake me up during the night.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    I feel for you OP. I used to experience SP at sporadic moments before, but now they've become more regular, and they're still as scary as ever. There is always a black figure present, and like yourself that heavy feeling on the chest. I learnt how to avoid experiencing SP, but it's not always possible to stop it from occuring, however there are ways to get out of that paralysed state.
    the shadow people, you see them
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aliens.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    Aliens.
    is such a thing even possible?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    This probably explains most of it.

When I wasn't getting much sleep I would get some kind of sleep paralysis quite often, but when I got it my eyes were open so it was like trying to wake up but not being able to. Sometimes like you described there would be a feeling of some kind of presence approaching or on me. It was a little disconcerting the first few times but once you get used to it and realise what it is it's no big deal.
    For me it's that I can't breathe for a few seconds, I can feel my lungs burning. Never felt a presence though.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sword)
    is such a thing even possible?
    Perhaps.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Like a BAWS)
    I experienced the 'old hag' and it has been easily the most terrifying experience of my life. I've only suffered from sleep paralysis on two occasions, and on the first one I didn't know what sleep paralysis was so genuinely thought what happened was real.

I woke up to find this very eery sense of dread that seemed unjustified. I then remember noticing a faint outline of a figure at the corner of my room. The figure started slowly edging towards me and I was fixated on it, and didn't even try to move because of the sheer terror, otherwise I would have realised the "paralysis" aspect of sleep paralysis. It came up to the side of my bed and knelt down over me and I felt this pressure on my chest. As I said, truly terrifying. To be honest with you, I haven't slept the same since, although I try telling myself it was all in my head, it is such a vivid and realistic experience that it feels 100& real at the time.

and now im scared to sleep... **** me. :zomg:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    old hag syndrome is a known condition, same with seeing the hat man/shadow people
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've had it loads of times, not too intensely but sometimes seeing things or hearing a voice.
    It was very scary initially, but it was a weird fear, like in a nightmare. It's not like a waking fear where you see something scary and react. More like, as soon as I woke up my head was filled with this intense horrible feeling and had panicked breaths for no reason. During these times my head feels thick and gloopy, hard to explain, but as I come out of it the fog thins until it has gone. Now I don't have it so much, when I do it's more at home than uni. I'm rarely that scared of it now, just patient in letting it pass.
    It has affected the way I sleep though. I always have to keep my feet under the covers and don't sleep on my back!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was trying to do that lucid dreaming thing, but then I woke up and I couldn't move which was scary...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    It just didn't feel right. Not being able to open my eyes, move my body or speak was scary enough, but I could feel something on my bed... the movement started at the top of my bed, then beside me (although nothing touched me), then back at the top.

If I let the feeling take over my head felt 'heavy' and the movement on my bed became more noticeable. I felt drowsy throughout and wanted to fall back to sleep after I had regained control of my body, but I had already been sleeping for around 13 hours (had not slept for 32 hours beforehand), so it was time to get up, and now I'm wide awake.

I understand that many people report this kind of thing during sleep paralysis, mine didn't last very long, I focused on wriggling my toes, and that got me out of it. But feeling the movement on my bed was the worst part - I guess I just want some reassurance that it was all in my head...

Also, I would be interested to hear other sleep paralysis stories.
    Sounds pretty cool! I wouldn't mind experiencing this. I've been away 36+ hours numerous times, never experienced anything like it.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I've heard about this... freaky stuff! I heard about people seeing demons on them when in this state or something weird.
    I thinks it the banshee(an old witch) to be precise..... The story goes like if u get up in the nite and the banshee has visited you , you cannot move and your chest feels heavy thats because the banshee is sitting on your chest!!

Although when a similar incident occured to me .... it was more like nightmare.... trying to survive in nightmare.... get scared.... realize its a bad dream... but no words come out of your mouth... nightmare gets worst.... suddenly shake it off...open my eyes ... find out that it is dark.... lie on my bed without sleep because I was scared!!!

AGAIN this is an old folk story... so please dont get afraid !!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have lucid dreams a lot. I like it, it stops me from having nightmares because I can choose what to dream about. So I often end up dreaming about meeting Johnny Depp

I also get the shadow people, although not so much anymore. When I was younger I used to get this really badly though, I would get so scared.

My problem at the moment is that I keep dreaming that spiders and other insects (although mainly spiders) are crawling all over me. Then I always wake up and I can still feel them crawling over me. It's horrible and it happens all the time
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why did I just read this right before I am about to go to bed? :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had it quite a few times when I'm trying to get to sleep, never when I've woken up though, and I've never had any hallucinations, it just seems like my body has gone to sleep, but my brain hasn't. I just try to concentrate really hard on tensing all my muscles up and trying to jolt my body awake, it's a really weird feeling and quite scary the first few times it happens.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikstar95)
    I thinks it the banshee(an old witch) to be precise..... The story goes like if u get up in the nite and the banshee has visited you , you cannot move and your chest feels heavy thats because the banshee is sitting on your chest!!

Although when a similar incident occured to me .... it was more like nightmare.... trying to survive in nightmare.... get scared.... realize its a bad dream... but no words come out of your mouth... nightmare gets worst.... suddenly shake it off...open my eyes ... find out that it is dark.... lie on my bed without sleep because I was scared!!!

AGAIN this is an old folk story... so please dont get afraid !!!!
    I looked into it and sometimes people experience hallucinations in this state. So some people have seen demons, hissing cats, hands straggling them from the wall, their plant straggling them, weird demon like horses etc...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.