Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For what subject?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
erm.. History

'i've got unconditional offers from both king's and warwick to study history, and although my heart is in going to king's, i'm worried i could be making a mistake turning down warwick'
Reply 3
justinhy
i've got unconditional offers from both king's and warwick to study history

EDIT: looks as if I was too slow... again
Reply 4
Good thinking though!
I'm in the same situation (but for English - see sig). Warwick didn't look too fun when I went there. I'm worried I'd get bored of the campus - even if I did have to retreat and dwell in the nearest city Coventry is a dump!

King's looks really fun, has excellent facilities. While Warwick is highly respected it seems to be too focused on graduate destinations etc.
Reply 6
completely

i know warwick has a better rep, but it doesnt look too exciting

and its not so much better that im being an idiot by choosing king's right?

i'm pretty sure king's has a better history department anyways
Hmm you could always do what I plan to do - when someone asks where you're at uni say 'Oh, I'm at Kings - I turned down Warwick.'
Reply 8
haha on my cv:wink:

(oh by the way, i could have gone to warwick yeah)
lol.

Although, Warwick is one of my teachers' alma matter. I visited on a really grey winter day, he says it's a lot nicer in summer...
Reply 10
ahhh this sucks
Reply 11
Warwick is really great in summer cos the campus is so green and huge. And there's plenty going on in the union for first years. Many people seem to see coventry and get put off, but most of the second and third years atually live in leamington which has plenty of shops and pubs and a few clubs. The only probem me and my friends have found is the bus ride into campus every day which can be a bit of hassle, 20 minutes if youre lucky but if you miss the bus and theres traffic can be pushing 40 mins. Im doing film lit by the way so feel free to ask about the course.
Reply 12
ps, didnt realise they'd started handing out AAA offers for film and literature? I guess they can afford to.
Ooh hi! Yeah I've heard Leamington is nicer but didn't got there.

AAB is a standard but I think they were just trying to give me a nudge :wink:

One concern I had about the course was the ratio of Film/Lit. As far as I learned from the open day they are pretty equal. Is there much freedom to choose more from Lit and less from film?
whoever's promoting leamington's pub and club and shopping 'scene' is wrong in the head :<
Reply 15
Hi oppressedmass,

Its weighted 50/50. In the first year you have no options, 2 film modules (history and criticism) and 2 lit modules (modes of reading and aspects of french and german literature). In the second year the two film modules are compulsory (hollywood cinema - which is quite good, and national cinemas, which focuses on the cinemas of two nations, this year it was italian and spanish and was HORENDOUS, but last year was british and french which looked much better so i guess it's the luck of the draw). You can choose your literature modules from a list of about 6 or 7. The third year is a bit different - one compuslory film module (aesthetics) and one compulsory lit module (culture the text and identity), and then you can choose your other two modules from either film or literature, or an option from another department.

Im in the 2nd year at the mo, and am hoping to do only one film module next year as i dont find it as enjoyable as the lit (plus an english module is 2 hours a week, whereas a film one is 4...), 2 lit modules, and a dissertation (which has to be on film, but as it's not taught i don't really care, i just couldn't take another year with a 20 hour a week timetable).

So yes, after that long rambling sesh, theres not much rrom for weighting in the first two years, but in the third year you can.

whoever's promoting leamington's pub and club and shopping 'scene' is wrong in the head :<

Ha. I know...I was just having a bash. Just thought people should know not to judge the uni by coventry alone, as no one i know ever goes there.
swallows
Ha. I know...I was just having a bash. Just thought people should know not to judge the uni by coventry alone, as no one i know ever goes there.

ironically, i'm out in leam tonight :<

edit: how could i forget the compulsory 'rrrriiiiiiiioooosss'
KCL has a fantastic reputation for most humanities subjects, history being especially strong. I'd get bored to tears at Warwick
Reply 18
thanks guys

i think im gonna roll with kcl for sure

x
Good choice, History is awesome at Kings and my friend and jesus-look-alike Pete really enjoys it.

Latest