The Student Room Group

What do you think about Bocconi?

Guys,

what do you think about the M.S. in finance at Bocconi University? Is it as good as the programs at LSE or Imperial?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Short answer: no.

Also there's been quite a few threads on here about how bad the teaching is and how the whole university life is pretty disappointing (esp because Milan is a terrible student city).
Reply 2
The teaching culture in continental Europe is different. Most universities there are public (I know Bocconi is not) and the students pay no/low fees and are therefore not treated as clients of the institution. Most lecturers just don't care as they have permanent positions and can't be easily fired unless they commit a major professional mistake. What the students think of the staff is irrelevant so most people won't go out of their way to help you. Some people can thrive in this kind of unsupportive environment, but if you took your first degree in an English speaking country be ready for a major disappointment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Cannot say anything about the MSc (I am a Bachelor student and I only heard positive things about its placement abroad, but cannot go further). But saying Milan is a terrible student city is not true, in my modest opinion. I think it's great to be a student here (if you can afford to go out to nice places, events and so on). So there, it's terrible only if you have to stay in campus all day (like every university located in a major city, with no real campus life, not only Bocconi).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by robbiee
Cannot say anything about the MSc (I am a Bachelor student and I only heard positive things about its placement abroad, but cannot go further). But saying Milan is a terrible student city is not true, in my modest opinion. I think it's great to be a student here (if you can afford to go out to nice places, events and so on).

I've heard stories about how terribly organised the uni's societies are (and how there are so few as well). I've also heard that Milan is tiny and not a student city because of this - there is very little to do, it's dead quiet and expensive.

So there, it's terrible only if you have to stay in campus all day (like every university located in a major city, with no real campus life, not only Bocconi).

Not quite sure what your point is here. What is 'real campus life'? And how can you assume that all uni's in major cities have no 'real campus life' and that you have to stay in campus all day? It seems like you're making this all up with no real evidence
Reply 5
Original post by RocknRap
I've heard stories about how terribly organised the uni's societies are (and how there are so few as well). I've also heard that Milan is tiny and not a student city because of this - there is very little to do, it's dead quiet and expensive.

Not quite sure what your point is here. What is 'real campus life'? And how can you assume that all uni's in major cities have no 'real campus life' and that you have to stay in campus all day? It seems like you're making this all up with no real evidence

The societes are growing exponentially in number (I am helping fund one myself this semester). If they are badly organized (and I have to say there are some which are badly organized) it's because of students, not the university. But creating a society is fairly easy. Sure, it's not like in the UK, but in my opinion the concept of society is very British (again, that's what I think).

For sure people coming from a UK university might be disappointed as they will not be spoon-fed. The teaching approach is totally different, you might like it or not, but that's entirely subjective. No point in generalizing and say that it's awful.

So by your standards only big cities are student friendly? Again, the city is subjective. I would HATE to live in London as a student, as I would hate to live in a bubble-campus like Warwick or even a city like Oxford/Cambridge. Therefore IN MY OPINION, Milan is great.

With my last phrase I meant that if you want a warm, campus feeling, you will not find it in Bocconi, as you wouldn't find it in any big city (maybe with the exception of the UK - again, some friends study in London and hate it). So if you're going to stay in campus studying all day you might not like it.

I agree it can be expensive but much less so than a city like Paris, London or even Stockholm. With "things to do", again, subjective. I'm a big arts and design fan so I always find stuff to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending