Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Simple Q about moments

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first question in the attachment.

Say I take the angle with horizontal to be theta, and the length of rod be 2L.

To find the moment about A,

Why can't I take the vertical component of the force of 4 N, i.e. 4 cos theta.

And then multiply it with the perpendicular distance from A, i.e.

2L sin (90-theta) x (4cos theta)

And equate it to 16 x L sin (90- theta)

to get the answer?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	141823
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I keep getting cos theta = 2
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you split 4N into components then you have to take into account the fact that there will be two components that provide moments.

It is much simpler to multiply 4 by its perpendicular distance to A, 2l. Then you are dealing with two moments acting in different directions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killjoy-)
    If you split 4N into components then you have to take into account the fact that there will be two components that provide moments.
    thank you!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killjoy-)

It is much simpler to multiply 4 by its perpendicular distance to A, 2l. Then you are dealing with two moments acting in different directions.
    Yup, was just wondering why that didn't work, whether it was because of a gap in understanding of the concept
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmqib)
    The first question in the attachment.

Say I take the angle with horizontal to be theta, and the length of rod be 2L.

To find the moment about A,

Why can't I take the vertical component of the force of 4 N, i.e. 4 cos theta.

And then multiply it with the perpendicular distance from A, i.e.

2L sin (90-theta) x (4cos theta)

And equate it to 16 x L sin (90- theta)

to get the answer?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	141823
    Hi

Part i) is only a two marker, so I don't even think you need to involve the length.
    We know that for a system in equilibrium, the total upwards force = total downwards force.
    So if you view the rod horizontally,
    total upwards force (4N) = total downwards force (the vertical component of the weight, 16sin alpha N)
    Alpha corresponds to the angle the rod makes with the vertical. So once you have that angle, it should be straightforward to work out the value for theta. When I did it, I got the value of theta to be 75.5 degrees

ignore what's above :facepalm:
    Take moments about A.
    have the length of the rod be 2L.
    Total Clockwise moments = Total Anti-Clockwise Moments
    16cos theta L = 4 x 2L
    Cancel the Ls to get
    16cos theta = 8
    so cos theta = 1/2
    theta = 60
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magdaplaysbass)
    Hi

Part i) is only a two marker, so I don't even think you need to involve the length.
    We know that for a system in equilibrium, the total upwards force = total downwards force.
    So if you view the rod horizontally,
    total upwards force (4N) = total downwards force (the vertical component of the weight, 16sin alpha N)
    Alpha corresponds to the angle the rod makes with the vertical. So once you have that angle, it should be straightforward to work out the value for theta. When I did it, I got the value of theta to be 75.5 degrees
    hi! i think you made a mistake somewhere, the angle of the rod with the horizontal is 60 degrees

This is a moments question so you have to consider the lengths the forces are perpendicualrly from the pivot!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Or at least consider the forces at A
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: just realised where i went wrong. do you still need help with it?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 14, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.