Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reading newspapers

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, how many TSR users still regularly read newspapers?

It's fair to assume most people will read online editions but how many still purchase a copy in the corner shop in the mornings/evenings? I buy 'The Times' every day for the bus journey and notice that I stick out like a sore thumb among the mobiles and copies of 'Metro'
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever buy newspapers - online and free for me please!
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    My parents purchase newspapers so I just get the metro on the tube and read it on my journey.
    A lot of people in my year read the metro.
    A weird habit that I do is to read a newspaper from back to front :mmm:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do on the weekends when you get all the supplements, and I pick up a Metro whenever I'm on the train. But mostly I get my news from TV and online.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes read my dad's copy of 'The Times' but I mostly just read online news articles.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    I hardly ever buy newspapers - online and free for me please!
    So 'The Times' is out? I suppose that's one incentive to buy the paper copy as it isn't available for free online.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think print newspapers are well and truly on their way out. The Times/Sunday Times lose £1m a week, apparently, and the Guardian lost £50m in 2006 (the most recent stats I could find).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Metro on the train (if someones left one), though mainly just to check the main headlines and the generally funny/random story on page 3...

Also I sometimes browse the BBC website in my frees, coz it's just awesome
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youngtory)
    So 'The Times' is out? I suppose that's one incentive to buy the paper copy as it isn't available for free online.
    There are plenty of other free newspaper websites out there. I'm not missing out by not reading The Times!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    There are plenty of other free newspaper websites out there. I'm not missing out by not reading The Times!
    I didn't mean to suggest that you were
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    we get the local worcester news daily,
    i get the times a couple of days a week, i dont tend to sit and read it all through in one go so i spread my reading over the days between buying them... i like to get them from whsmiths get the cheap book too ! if it wasnt for the book drawing me in id get it on my kindle... but meh book ! yays! (though has anyone else noticed they always seem to be the second.third books in the series ! got "the last 4 things" a few weeks ago.. 2nd book... the shardlake series it was the 4th book... so i end up reading them then going and buying the others if i liked it....)
    and not getting the kindle version means more paper for lighting fire for this reason we like a weekend one more pages
    x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My dad used to insist on only buying the Daily Mail. I protested by covering the dining table with the Daily Telegraph.

We now get The Times, too
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TGH1)
    My dad used to insist on only buying the Daily Mail. I protested by covering the dining table with the Daily Telegraph.

We now get The Times, too
    Good move there, a man after my own heart!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read the paper every day when I'm at home, less often at Uni.

Normally the i Paper or the Mirror.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read The Times everyday when I'm at home but most of the time I'm at Uni, I hardly ever read newspapers except for the odd Sunday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We get the Guardian and Observer on weekends, but the rest of the time I just read up online, its easier and more importantly free. And I get the Metro and Evening Standard whilst on the tube.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll buy the 'i' paper regularly as it's rather cheap and quite reliable as we as read the local newspaper. Aside from that I get most of my news either from the BBC Website or watching television.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My school provides them for us everyday so I just take the paper copies from there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does it count occasionally reading the Daily Mail online, and finding the sidebar of headlines on their website oddly addictive? I didn't think so... :getmecoat:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only the two local papers, if my parents got a national newspaper then I'd probably read it to but at least I watch the BBC news most days.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 14, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.