Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about ID - out-of-date photo?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's my 18th birthday next week and I'm planning on going out to celebrate with a couple of mates. I've got my provisional driving license to use as ID, but the problem is that I've recently had my hair cut short (it used to be shoulder length) and I'm worried that I won't be served because the picture on the driving licence is me with long hair. The same picture has been accepted at passport controls.

Does anyone know what I should do, if anything?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    there used to people having their hair cut/growing their hair/dying there hair...
    they look at your face not your hair
    x
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    don't worry
    my picture was when i was 14 with dark brown hair where i actually look about 10 and now i'm blonde and the totaaal opposite and i've never had a problem
    also i'm guessing the license has the date when it took so the bouncers can tell it was a while ago and everyone changes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guz2)
    It's my 18th birthday next week and I'm planning on going out to celebrate with a couple of mates. I've got my provisional driving license to use as ID, but the problem is that I've recently had my hair cut short (it used to be shoulder length) and I'm worried that I won't be served because the picture on the driving licence is me with long hair. The same picture has been accepted at passport controls.

Does anyone know what I should do, if anything?
    Should be fine. I have an out-of-date ID (it expired & I haven't been a*sed to replace it) and it works perfectly all the time. I've also changed everything from not wearing glasses and hair colour and it's been okay.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They look at your face and facial features, not your hair, you should be fine unless you've also have plastic surgery.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to get a ridiculously terrible bouncer if they refuse you because of a haircut! That being said they might question you on the post-code or address on the ID as a quick check for people who are trying to fake it, but obviously that won't be a problem.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    They know people have hair cuts.

My passport photo makes me look like Myra Hindley and was taken when I had a totally different hair style and colour - but nobody's said anything.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It will be fine. My driving license picture was taken when I was 16. I am now 22. I look so different and I don't even have the same colour hair (even though it's black and white you can tell) but as long as you roughly resemble the picture it's fine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wear a low cut top and flyer your breasts ahem eyelashes... i never used to ID girls that did this
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Take a credit card/ student card or something with a name/picture on incase they ask for something else with your name or picture on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_seraphim)
    Wear a low cut top and flyer your breasts ahem eyelashes... i never used to ID girls that did this
    Not a viable option for me, I'm afraid. I'm a guy...
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to have to ID people a lot when I worked in a pub. I can assure you that we don't look at hair style / colour, we look at facial features that don't tend to change much e.g. the shape of the jawline.

I think the only time I refused ID from someone for it being out of date was when they presented an out of date passport with a picture of a child aged about 4! Quite apart from the fact that we weren't meant to take out of date passports, there was no way of telling if it was him or his older brother.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the help, guys :-)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.