The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Game Art Design at De Montfort 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ravien

And I'm a hrdrc pc gamorrrzzzz too haha!
Is anyone else really reallllly looking forward to Tomb Raider 9? I think it looks so good! :biggrin:

Yes! I still need to finish Anniversary before I get it. :biggrin:
I'm glad I'm not the only one looking forwards to it xD
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 21
hrdrc pc gamorrrzzzz hooray! If its not too boring, whats your setup? mines a GTX 570 OC with a Q9550 3.0 ghz Intel Quad core.

Anyway, back to less boring stuff: Tomb Raider 9 does look super cool. Theres a hilarious video playing on the interesting frequency of Lara's "grunts", if you wanna check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgHoQ6QL6w8
it's very funny, maybe don't listen to it too loud though lol I'm really looking forward to Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3! They both look very beautiful, I just hope Ubisoft learnt their lessons with FC2. Is anyone else looking forward to Bioshock Infinite? Oh, and dare I say it- Half Life 3? Oh wait... nevermind.
Reply 22
Original post by TomDuffus
hrdrc pc gamorrrzzzz hooray! If its not too boring, whats your setup? mines a GTX 570 OC with a Q9550 3.0 ghz Intel Quad core.

Anyway, back to less boring stuff: Tomb Raider 9 does look super cool. Theres a hilarious video playing on the interesting frequency of Lara's "grunts", if you wanna check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgHoQ6QL6w8
it's very funny, maybe don't listen to it too loud though lol I'm really looking forward to Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3! They both look very beautiful, I just hope Ubisoft learnt their lessons with FC2. Is anyone else looking forward to Bioshock Infinite? Oh, and dare I say it- Half Life 3? Oh wait... nevermind.

[email protected], Radeon 5830, 4GB Corsair RAM. My computer is rather old though, I'm getting a new one for uni, I wouldn't be able to bring this one with me anyway, my parents want it for my younger brother.
To be fair though, I don't really know much about building PCs, I know my way around PCs, but it's my older brother who is the mastermind behind creating them. :tongue:
I saw the trailer for Bioshock, it does loook very good. :biggrin:

I'm assuming everyone here is either a digital artist or at least dabbled with it? :biggrin:
I really want a 24HD Wacooooom! Its so expensiveeeeeeee. ;___;
Reply 23
Just a regular pen bamboo tablet here, but yeah I like doing digital art :smile: Sculptris is a hell of a lot of fun, too.

461060_10151389787310611_658485610_23619910_2121888929_o.jpg - Just something I made in sculptris (a lot of it is a bit wrong :s-smilie:) to show the kind of things its better for; organic sculpture mostly.

I implore you all to download it if you haven't already, it's free! Its like a watered down Zbrush, obviously if you have that then sculptris won't be super special, but I can't afford a program like that :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
I've got Dual core Intel Celeron 2.66Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 9500 gt. Built it myself a while back xD Pretty rubbish, but it does what it's meant to.
Reply 25
Original post by Bloodrush1992
I've got Dual core Intel Celeron 2.66Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 9500 gt. Built it myself a while back xD Pretty rubbish, but it does what it's meant to.

The first pc I ever built had a 8600 gt :smile: The good old days where Unreal Tournament 3 was the best looking game around, and the idea of a quad core blew my mind. That and gawping at Bioshock's amazing water effects and the fact it ran so well (goodnight, sweet unreal engine 2)
Reply 26
Haha I know what you mean- I'm dreading using 3DS Max...
Haha I know what you mean- I'm dreading using 3DS Max...

Me too. They suggested to try and play around with it before I start, cause I've never used any 3D software. Even my brother who plays around with 3D software in his spare time, hates it.
I found a book about how to use the basic tools on 3D Max in my collage library, and no lie it was the thickest book I've ever seen in my life, and I'm a big reader. :eek:
Reply 28
Me too. They suggested to try and play around with it before I start, cause I've never used any 3D software. Even my brother who plays around with 3D software in his spare time, hates it.
I found a book about how to use the basic tools on 3D Max in my collage library, and no lie it was the thickest book I've ever seen in my life, and I'm a big reader. :eek:

I can completely relate to this. I booted it up once and it scared the bejeezus out of me, never touched it since. All the books about it in my college library are just like that one, huge and terrifying. And so, so mind-numbingly dull. God I hope we get to use Mudbox, too...
Reply 29
Just a regular pen bamboo tablet here, but yeah I like doing digital art :smile: Sculptris is a hell of a lot of fun, too.

461060_10151389787310611_658485610_23619910_2121888929_o.jpg - Just something I made in sculptris (a lot of it is a bit wrong :s-smilie:) to show the kind of things its better for; organic sculpture mostly.

Wow that's brilliant! :eek:
so far in my 3D travels I managed to make a spehere with a few indentations in it... :colondollar:
I tried using ZBrush, and I find the whole layout of it ridiculously confusing. I would say I'm 95% 2D artist, but recently I really got into traditional sculpture. All I'm doing in school at the moment is just sculpting sexy ladies haha. :biggrin:

I booted it up once and it scared the bejeezus out of me, never touched it since.

We can all learn together then haha I think we're gonna need a lot of mental support to avoid any breakdowns. :biggrin:
A little part of me died when I opened Zbrush/Mudbox. There are sooo many options, it makes Photoshop look like MS Paint. I just think their layouts are really confusing, everything is so crowded!
But I guess once we power through the really confusing part, the rest of it will be a matter of experimentation. That's what I found with Photoshop anyway, like once you know your way around a bit more, learning new things is so much easier because it's possible to actually follow tutorials. :tongue:

Haha Leighcakes, I totally know what you mean, like I said before, the height of my 3D creativity was making a sphere with some holes in it... :biggrin:
Reply 30
In terms if ease of access, from what I know it kind of goes like this:

Sculptris, Zbrush, Mudbox, NASA's Space station, brain surgery, 3DS Max.

Off topic, but how are we all getting on with our accomodation stuffs?
Reply 31
Original post by Ravien
I'm assuming everyone here is either a digital artist or at least dabbled with it? :biggrin:
I really want a 24HD Wacooooom! Its so expensiveeeeeeee. ;___;

I have a (really old now) Wacom Intuos 3 which I've used with Corel Painter 11 (also now outdated T.T) and Photoshop for some digital paintings, but I'm very heavily into fine art, life-drawing and traditional-media paintings; so I've put digital stuff on hold so I can build up my 'real life' stuff first.

I've always fancied one of the Cintiq series though; it shows the screen on the tablet itself so it doesn't feel like blind-contour drawing all the time hehe - but you're right the prices for this sort of stuff is ridiculous..

Me too. They suggested to try and play around with it before I start, cause I've never used any 3D software.

Yeah they said this to me too; 3D Studio Max by Autodesk - you can get 30 day free trials thankfully!!
I've only ever had a play around with Autodesk Maya, which is more of an animation programme. The amount of calculations and numbers was terrifying but I managed to 'build' a little space shuttle before giving it up forever!

I'd prefer to wait until Uni to be taught how to use them. At my interview they were only interested in my artwork and experience with real media and observation skills, they didn't even ask me about playing games or digital art - so I don't think that prior experience with 3D programmes or game engines is tooo important just yet.

Nevertheless I'll probably be cramming everything I can possibly understand about these things before we start the course so that I'm not entirely clueless haha!!!

Booked and confirmed for Bede Hall!
I'm waiting around for a facebook page or thread to start with other people definitely going so that I can prepare what I need to bring. My mum has been buying me random kitchen things every now and then like tiny cheese-graters and teatowels, which is funny but a bit scary at the same time! :tongue:

I have to wait till 15th May. I have an conditional offer cause I entered my A level results in wrong on UCAS.
Suuuuup. :I

I am Alex and I won't probably get in this year either because of my laziness, but it's worth a try.
Otherwise I can always go for "Would you like fries with that?"

Anyway, uh, hello.
Reply 34
Original post by roboticliquids
Suuuuup. :I

I am Alex and I won't probably get in this year either because of my laziness, but it's worth a try.
Otherwise I can always go for "Would you like fries with that?"

Anyway, uh, hello.

Hi there Alex! Are you doing A levels or Foundation at the moment? :biggrin:

I have to wait till 15th May. I have an conditional offer cause I entered my A level results in wrong on UCAS.

Someone on the fb DMU group said that if we want our rooms we have to do it first thing in the morning on the 15th or we might not get the ones we want. :s-smilie:
Reply 35
I think I'm gonna go ahead and go for Victoria Hall, it's just so hard to do something so final without having been to see any of the accomodation! I guess most of all (except for en suite) I want to be somewhere not uber-loud... but there isn't much control over that. Victoria Hall seems to have a pretty low tolerance for late night noise... Oh but gosh and darnit it's just so hard to choose :frown: I'd better ring my DMU friend again and try and work something out...

Also, hi Alex! Welcome to the thread thingy!
Reply 36
*Tumbleweed*....
Reply 37
Hey, goodluck to u guys, Im currently a second Year student just finishing to hopefully go on to the third year and I hope you guys who want to do this are serious because it is a lot of work.....When u come to this course you guys are expected to be independent learners and most students dont realise this...which is why an art foundation is suggested to a number of students and see if they still wanted to do it and also helps them with the transition to uni..any way enough of that.....if any questions post here

My blog is http://sarankanart.blogspot.co.uk/

feel free to have a browse to see what kind of stuff we do...or atleast I do:smile: Im not the best student for this tbh Im still at the stage where im figuring stuff out and hopefully this gives u a flavour of the type of work we do.
Reply 38
*Tumbleweed*....

Haha sorry, I have three modules next week plus my art deadline, I don't have much time to go on the student room anymore! :tongue:

Original post by Sarankan
Hey, goodluck to u guys, Im currently a second Year student just finishing to hopefully go on to the third year and I hope you guys who want to do this are serious because it is a lot of work.....When u come to this course you guys are expected to be independent learners and most students dont realise this...which is why an art foundation is suggested to a number of students and see if they still wanted to do it and also helps them with the transition to uni..any way enough of that.....if any questions post here

feel free to have a browse to see what kind of stuff we do...or atleast I do:smile: Im not the best student for this tbh Im still at the stage where im figuring stuff out and hopefully this gives u a flavour of the type of work we do.

Hello there! It's great meeting someone who is currently doing the course. :smile:
I had a 2nd year student talking to my group during the interview, and he said the same thing about being independant with your work and how he cries at his computer while others are out drinking. :L
I was looking at your blog, your stuff is great! I love the black/white environmental pieces! I also had a little stalk around other blogs and came across http://annadrawsthings.blogspot.co.uk/ where Anna calls the course a 'boot camp'. D:
I know Im probably going to regret saying it later, but I actually cannot wait, I guess I'm just really excited. :biggrin:
How do you find the course though, is it interesting? Did you find it easy enough to settle in?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Sarankan

Hi, thanks for posting - just had a quick look at your blog, your artwork is beautiful! It makes me very excited to start the course, but I'll heed your warning of how much work it's going to take :s-smilie:

Good luck to everyone booking their accommodation this morning/after today! I knew today was the date that everyone could get onto booking a place, so I hope it has gone well and not too stressful!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending