The Student Room Group

Girls: Pole Dancing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by py0alb
Yeah, there would be nothing sexually titillating whatsoever about an attractive girl wearing tight clothes doing the horizontal splits at eye level. :facepalm2:

Denial is not just a river in Egypt my dear.

So you have a problem with it because it's an attractive girl? Whereas the chinese pole video you think is fine? It's ironic that you're making all these posts defending women's honour when really you're just coming across as a patronising misogynist. My dear. Girls should be able to pole dance if they like, if people can't take their mind off their genitals for long enough to appreciate the effort and hard work that goes into some of these routines that's their problem.
Reply 81
Original post by New...Romantic
So you have a problem with it because it's an attractive girl? Whereas the chinese pole video you think is fine? It's ironic that you're making all these posts defending women's honour when really you're just coming across as a patronising misogynist. My dear. Girls should be able to pole dance if they like, if people can't take their mind off their genitals for long enough to appreciate the effort and hard work that goes into some of these routines that's their problem.

You're an idiot. How many times have I said that I don't have a problem with it and fully support women who want to do it for fun? I just don't think they should kid themselves that its just some completely new version of gymnastics that no-one had ever heard of before.

You're the one trying to create this artificial separation between pole dancing and things like lap dancing, stripping, burlesque etc. because you like to feel superior to "people like that". Perhaps if you stopped being so judgemental about other women for five minutes you might get some perspective.
Original post by py0alb

Forgodsake, shut up pyOalb, the suckers have fallen for it hook line and sinker :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by cosmobear92
Lol this thread reminds me of Russell Howard's Good News, the episode where in America they have like Christian Pole Dancing or summat with a similar name to that and they 'dance' to hymns and gospel music, and they were saying how it made them closer to god :tongue:

the things some people believe :rolleyes:

So if some Christian women do some dance to Christian worship songs, then even though they are doing it privately, and even though none of them are thinking about sex, it's still intrinsically sexual?

Pole dancing will always bring to mind sexual connotations for as long as strip clubs exist (i.e. forever).

Reply 85
Original post by Cirsium
So if some Christian women do some dance to Christian worship songs, then even though they are doing it privately, and even though none of them are thinking about sex, it's still intrinsically sexual?

Well that depends, do they do it whilst wearing sweaters and long skirts and with their legs firmly held together and not wrapped around any phallic objects?
Original post by Cirsium

It was men and women, and it wasn't really private seeing as it was on a national news channel broadcast across America which then found its way onto a British comedy show.

And I'm not saying it was sexual, but I just find it strange that pole dancing is mixed with religious observance, I would've never associated the two together.
Reply 87
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Pole dancing will always bring to mind sexual connotations for as long as strip clubs exist (i.e. forever).

To say nothing of the fact that I have never once seen a pole dancing routine that didn't basically consist of moving between a series of deliberately sexually provocative and revealing poses.

The whole point of pole dancing, the whole reason it was invented by strip club owners looking to ways to entertain and excite their customers, is because its physically impossible for it not to be sexually provocative.
Original post by py0alb
You're an idiot. How many times have I said that I don't have a problem with it and fully support women who want to do it for fun? I just don't think they should kid themselves that its just some completely new version of gymnastics that no-one had ever heard of before.

You're the one trying to create this artificial separation between pole dancing and things like lap dancing, stripping, burlesque etc. because you like to feel superior to "people like that". Perhaps if you stopped being so judgemental about other women for five minutes you might get some perspective.

I don't find being called naive, in denial and deluded particularly supportive but okay.

When have I ever said "people like that"? I haven't. I don't think it is an artifical separation. The distinction is in the fact I do pole classes for fun, not payment. I know there are burlesque classes too and it can actually be impressive although it's not really my thing. Other women can do what they like, I have no problem with that. I'm just trying to emphasise that pole can just be for fitness, it doesn't have to be performed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by sollythewise
worth losing out on all of this for a nice personality.

Says double red.
Original post by facdroit
Says double red.

i got that by supporting israel in forum debates, and possibly from agressively defending religion from secular radicals.
Original post by zara55
Bruises... pole burn... using euphemisms like "pole fitness"... "nothing sexual"... doesn't sound like amazing fun.

The bruises and the pole burn isn't the fun bit, the thrill of mastering a move you couldn't do before, putting together a sequence that you weren't fit enough to do before and performing (especially in competitions) is the fun bit. There are plenty of bad points to ballet; shin splints, knee injuries and deformed feet, yet people don't go around saying that ballerinas can't enjoy their art due to some of the negatives.

Ultimately, it's not my issue if people think there is something sexual about the way that I dance using a pole.
If people find the movements the dancer is doing sexually arousing, then that is a problem with them, not the dancer, who (assuming they are not working in a strip club or is your girlfriend giving you a private dance) is not dancing for your personal benefit. Whilst some pole dancers are strippers or prostitutes, many are not, and given that there are many ways you can perform pole dancing now it is really quite silly to assume that the only way is in a seedy strip club.

Secondly, I have a very similar amount of skin covered to most gymnasts, but because what keeps you on the pole is your skin. This on the whole means that you will need to wear hotpants, and sometimes a cropped top or leotard with side cut outs as some harder moves do require you to grip with your waist. Once again, my outfit is functional, and not for the viewers benefit.

Pole dancing is different to things like gymnastics, in that to be an excellent, world class pole dancer, and serious competitor in competition, you don't have to start in your early childhood. That is certainly part of the reason why I do it. Bendy Kate I would say is a fantastic example of this.
Reply 92
I'm just trying to emphasise that pole can just be for fitness, it doesn't have to be performed.

Well I'm sure it can, but that entirely beside the point. You can do all sorts of things "just for fitness". I can go and train with the rugby club "for fitness" and not play matches, but that doesn't mean that rugby isn't first and foremost a competitive sport. I can do energetic chippendale shows in front of my bedroom mirror "for fitness", but it doesn't stop it being a strip show designed to entertain an audience. Now apply that logic to pole dancing.
Reply 93
i think what py0alb is trying to say is, you can dress a cat up as a cow, but it will forever be a cat.

Pole dancing is something that is sexually stiumulating, no matter what your argument for doing it is.

And from reading his posts he doesnt seem to be condemning the women like the girls in this thread. He's merely just stating an obvious point.
Reply 94
Original post by Classical Liberal
Forgodsake, shut up pyOalb, the suckers have fallen for it hook line and sinker :biggrin:

Sorry yes of course. I don't know what I was thinking. Pole dancing is a great form of exercise, I wholeheartedly recommend it to all young women, and its not at all sexually provocative to do the splits upside down whilst wearing extremely tight hotpants.
Original post by py0alb
Well I'm sure it can, but that entirely beside the point. You can do all sorts of things "just for fitness". I can go and train with the rugby club "for fitness" and not play matches, but that doesn't mean that rugby isn't first and foremost a competitive sport. I can do energetic chippendale shows in front of my bedroom mirror "for fitness", but it doesn't stop it being a strip show designed to entertain an audience. Now apply that logic to pole dancing.

I'm not sure those analogies really work because of what I said earlier about it evolving into almost a circus act (which you conveniently ignored). I don't really see what relevance the origins have, it's what we're doing now that's important. And as for that last sarcastic comment, it really is a great form of exercise.

Anyway, I think Persephone's post says it all.
Original post by Jakeh
you're so right man! gotta hate those whores!

virgin.

I'm far from a virgin little boy.

If you set your sights on a stripper and see her as dating material, you're just like a ****load of other failures in this country.

But I guess boys dont know what whores can do. :lol:
Reply 97
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
I'm far from a virgin little boy.

If you set your sights on a stripper and see her as dating material, you're just like a ****load of other failures in this country.

But I guess boys dont know what whores can do. :lol:

I dont set my sights on a certain job, type or class. Shame you're still a 'boy' who cant look past jobs and money and can make prejudice assumptions about someone based on their occupation.

:~~) bye now xx
Original post by facdroit
No. I was created in a lab.

Brb uni at 17
brb graduated college at 16
brb making more money now than you will when you graduate
brb being rich
brb 142 iq

Brb, not being an arrogant bastard
Oh dear, I kinda wish I hadn't even started this thread. How is it that there haven't been ridiculous arguments about stripping etc. on other threads relating to pole dancing? They've just been girls talking to other girls about their experiences, which is essentially what I was hoping for when I first posted. Now, 5 pages later, there seem to be more boys commenting than girls, which would be fine if what they/you were saying was in any way helpful/relevant to what I actually asked. I'm not saying people shouldn't be having other conversations within a thread 'cause that's what they're for, but I don't see the need for half of what's being said.

Py0alb, we get that you have an opinion, and you're entitled to it. Why you couldn't have just left it at that, I have no idea. You're not the only one, but basically every other post is yours in which you have found yet another way of saying that people who claim to pole dance for fitness are deluding themselves into thinking it's not sexual. We get it. Is it really necessary to argue with every girl who has something positive to say (and who actually answers my questions)?

Original post by chiddy09
Just do it, and take some photos and post on here so i have somthing to see #bringonthephotos. Hope your over 18 though :redface:

So I'm going to uni, but I'm not 18? I'm 19, and I'll be turning 20 not long after I join the society (if). But yes, hahaha...

Quick Reply

Latest