The Student Room Group

Girls: Pole Dancing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by sollythewise
i got that by supporting israel in forum debates, and possibly from agressively defending religion from secular radicals.

religious nut that supports israel?
I'd rather stay arrogant tyvmgfy
Reply 101
pole.jpg
Original post by plimsolls
pole.jpg

So she's flexible. What's your point? :s-smilie:
Original post by facdroit
religious nut that supports israel?
I'd rather stay arrogant tyvmgfy

that's why you believe your stupid rubbish. only an intellectually arrogant blindness could lead you to reject all religion and believe israel is evil.
Reply 104
Original post by Jaidenh
It's called polercise and it's a great way to keep fit

I agree :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by sollythewise
that's why you believe your stupid rubbish. only an intellectually arrogant blindness could lead you to reject all religion and believe israel is evil.

I don't believe Israel is evil.
I do believe they are oppressing a lesser country.
I don't believe in religion because there is no evidence for religion.
And before you say that there is no evidence against religion there is no evidence Zeus and Aphrodite do not exist either.
Original post by Persephone9
The bruises and the pole burn isn't the fun bit, the thrill of mastering a move you couldn't do before, putting together a sequence that you weren't fit enough to do before and performing (especially in competitions) is the fun bit. There are plenty of bad points to ballet; shin splints, knee injuries and deformed feet, yet people don't go around saying that ballerinas can't enjoy their art due to some of the negatives.

Ultimately, it's not my issue if people think there is something sexual about the way that I dance using a pole.
If people find the movements the dancer is doing sexually arousing, then that is a problem with them, not the dancer, who (assuming they are not working in a strip club or is your girlfriend giving you a private dance) is not dancing for your personal benefit. Whilst some pole dancers are strippers or prostitutes, many are not, and given that there are many ways you can perform pole dancing now it is really quite silly to assume that the only way is in a seedy strip club.

Secondly, I have a very similar amount of skin covered to most gymnasts, but because what keeps you on the pole is your skin. This on the whole means that you will need to wear hotpants, and sometimes a cropped top or leotard with side cut outs as some harder moves do require you to grip with your waist. Once again, my outfit is functional, and not for the viewers benefit.

Pole dancing is different to things like gymnastics, in that to be an excellent, world class pole dancer, and serious competitor in competition, you don't have to start in your early childhood. That is certainly part of the reason why I do it. Bendy Kate I would say is a fantastic example of this.

Reply 107
Original post by Village Whisper
Is it really necessary to argue with every girl who has something positive to say (and who actually answers my questions)?

Of course its necessary. In fact its not just necessary, its ****ing mandatory. Ignorance should never go unchallenged, even about someone so seemingly inconsequential as gently chastising self-deluding pole dancers. A principle is a principle: if someone says something that is wrong, it needs to be corrected, no matter how many stupid people there are or how many times you need to repeat yourself. Apathy is the glove into which evil slips its hand.
Original post by py0alb
Of course its necessary. In fact its not just necessary, its ****ing mandatory. Ignorance should never go unchallenged, even about someone so seemingly inconsequential as gently chastising self-deluding pole dancers. A principle is a principle: if someone says something that is wrong, it needs to be corrected, no matter how many stupid people there are or how many times you need to repeat yourself. Apathy is the glove into which evil slips its hand.

But at the same time, it's excellent that more and more girls are wearing hotpants and crop-tops to dance and slide up and down poles with their legs open.

If girls want to do this and pretend that there's absolutely nothing sexual about it, well, looks like we've got a good thing going on here and lets try not to ruin it, eh?
Reply 109
Original post by Smack
But at the same time, it's excellent that more and more girls are wearing hotpants and crop-tops to dance and slide up and down poles with their legs open.

If girls want to do this and pretend that there's absolutely nothing sexual about it, well, looks like we've got a good thing going on here and lets try not to ruin it, eh?

Ok I'll shut up now.
Original post by facdroit
No. I was created in a lab.

Brb uni at 17
brb graduated college at 16
brb making more money now than you will when you graduate
brb being rich
brb 142 iq

Where do you keep going :curious:
Original post by catjaum
they obviously suck at quality control.... :tongue:

boom!
Original post by Floob
ah but sex shouldn't be enjoyed especially not by women. So if they pretend to enjoy sex they are essentially just one step away from selling their bodies in a degrading manner, being exploited by men and being almost as bad as pole dancers. :wink:

I also pole dance at my uni society and would echo all of Flo[ProActiv] and New...Romantic's sentiments because frankly it is just good fun! I have made lots of friends and mastering a new trick feels absolutely great. The emphasis is firmly on doing pole for exercise/ competition dancing (in which you get disqualified for overt displays of a sexual nature) and learning new spins and tricks. I can hang upside down using just my legs but cannot do any sexy moves.

I had never 'danced' before in my life but did gymnastics when I was little. I still can't dance but the gymnastics definitely helped although its by no means required. You build up strength gradually as the moves get more difficult.

This is one of the best routines I have seen and I aspire to one day be 1/10th as good as her
http://youtu.be/Y4ack-LXO2c?t=10s

wow... she is simply incredible...
Original post by Smack

To be fair, I know very well that pole dancing does have sexual connotations to it, and in fact that is part of the reason I wanted to try it in the first place; to try and raise my confidence and stuff, since let's face it I'm generally riddled with low self-esteem. I suppose the main thing that other girls in this thread and I find a bit irritating is that fact that some ignorant people are assuming that the fact we like to do it for fun automatically means that we're gonna go on to work in the adult sex industry, when that's far from it for most of us. But anyways, I suppose it doesn't matter much what others think at the end of the day; we'll do what we like :u:
Original post by Smack

Interestingly, this is very similar to the face I got from an elderly lecturer when I did a shout out after a lecture for a charity pole showcase that we were putting on. Dis-turbing.

Also, many of us pole girls don't deny that some of our dances and outfits can be sexually arousing. Heck, I'm bisexual and I do find watching some pole dancers (and many other sorts of dancers) arousing. However, that is not why we are doing it. If we were going to let others potential arousal dictate what we did, then really we'd all have to stop taking care of our appearance all together.
Reply 115
Original post by Bellissima
boom!

i lost one of my red bars cos of that comment... :frown:
Original post by catjaum
i lost one of my red bars cos of that comment... :frown:

dw you can get it back just post some more pics in the fitness section and the trolls will come
Original post by py0alb
Yeah, there would be nothing sexually titillating whatsoever about an attractive girl wearing tight clothes doing the horizontal splits at eye level. :facepalm2:

Denial is not just a river in Egypt my dear.

The truth is that while pole dancing was promoted cause it was supposed to give women that fit "striper body", stripers have that body not because they do pole dancing but because the actually work out in order to pole dance :tongue: Also let's face it most women take up pole dancing cause it has they make tthis kind of sexy connotations and think it will be "cool".It's all about marketing!
Reply 118
Original post by Bellissima
dw you can get it back just post some more pics in the fitness section and the trolls will come

lol...
Reply 119
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
To be fair, I know very well that pole dancing does have sexual connotations to it, and in fact that is part of the reason I wanted to try it in the first place; to try and raise my confidence and stuff, since let's face it I'm generally riddled with low self-esteem. I suppose the main thing that other girls in this thread and I find a bit irritating is that fact that some ignorant people are assuming that the fact we like to do it for fun automatically means that we're gonna go on to work in the adult sex industry, when that's far from it for most of us. But anyways, I suppose it doesn't matter much what others think at the end of the day; we'll do what we like :u:

Exactly, just do what you want... and if it helps with confidence, exercise etc then surely thats a good thing. Haters gon' hate. Besides most guys here would love a girl that can dance for them...

Quick Reply

Latest