The Student Room Group

Girls: Pole Dancing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by New...Romantic
Okay maybe but it's not stripping. Nobody that I actually know, friends or family, sees it as sexual. At least it's not the way I do it... I think you actually have to be at a really high standard to make proper pole moves into a routine that looks sexy.

I started going cos my friend's friend pulled out and she wanted someone to go with. So I said I'd try it. I didn't pick pole because it's sexual, I tried it and liked it. I prefer it to other forms cos it's a really relaxed, comfortable enviroment (unlike the gym) and everyone works at their own pace (unlike classes like zumba or ballet or anything really).

Well I've never seen a stripper so I'll take your word for it. I think the point is that she intends to take her clothes off for money. What's a 'casual' pole dancer, out of interest?

One that does it neither for competition nor money, just for fun. I don't really see the point of doing it if you're not going to dress up and use it to its full potential and impress your boyfriend etc. You might as well make it sexy. Otherwise why not just do pull-ups etc?
Original post by py0alb
One that does it neither for competition nor money, just for fun. I don't really see the point of doing it if you're not going to dress up and use it to its full potential and impress your boyfriend etc. You might as well make it sexy. Otherwise why not just do pull-ups etc?

So, me? I just wear normal shorts and tops. Because it's a nice environment and you go at your own pace like I said above. I wouldn't really know where to start with pull-ups or whatever, where would you do them? In a pole studio you basically get one-on-one tuition for the moves. I think it is really good for girls that maybe aren't that serious about exercise, or don't have much confidence, and wouldn't go to the gym.
Reply 162
Original post by py0alb
The pole dancing society at my last uni was sponsored by the strip club, and the lessons were done with professional strippers.

Again, I don't see anything wrong with this. If you want to make a bit of cash as a stripper, more power to you. I just don't like these pathetic girls who think there is some huge moral divide between what they do (pole dancing) and what strippers do (also pole dancing, but in marginally skimpier outfits).

The OP is interested in doing pole dancing for fun and fitness. Strippers and professional pole dances get PAID. MONEY is the difference. Not the outfits. Surely that's blatantly obvious..? Whether there is a moral divide depends on someones opinion on what is wrong and right/socially acceptable, so you can't try to pretend that what you're saying is all fact I'm afraid.

I'd also like to point out that there is a difference between a counter-argument or debate, and shoving your personal opinion down someones throat. You think that pole dancing will always have the same purpose, and many people on this thread agree. But many also disagree, and that doesn't mean you have to try to convince them that you're right. YOU need to learn how to debate before judging others and calling them pathetic.
Original post by py0alb
Nothing provocative or sexually charged about that whatsoever. I'm sure most girls would be happy putting on a similar performance for their grandmother over Sunday lunch.

How often do you watch dance/gymnastics performances live during your Sunday lunch? :confused:

If you take things out of context of course it's going to seem a bit odd.

Anyway, I don't see why you're in a position to judge women who want to keep fit in private in a way which suits them. It's not really any of your business. If the OP wanted a moral debate on pole dancing as a fitness regime, she would have asked for it. If you want to continue down this road, why not create your own thread in the philosophy section or something?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by imy7
The OP is interested in doing pole dancing for fun and fitness. Strippers and professional pole dances get PAID. MONEY is the difference. Not the outfits.

Money is THE difference? So other than getting paid, there is no difference between a casual pole dancer and a stripper?

You said it, not me.
Reply 165
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
How often do you watch dance/gymnastics performances live during your Sunday lunch? :confused:

If you take things out of context of course it's going to seem a bit odd.

Anyway, I don't see why you're in a position to judge women who want to keep fit in private in a way which suits them. It's not really any of your business. If the OP wanted a moral debate on pole dancing as a fitness regime, she would have asked for it. If you want to continue down this road, why not create your own thread in the philosophy section or something?

I'm not having a moral debate, you are.

I'm not judging, you are.

I'm saying "don't judge". In fact I've said that like 100 times, and you continue to disagree with me when I say that. Hence you're the judgemental bigot here, not me.
Original post by Village Whisper
x

That was your first post? Cracking :awesome:

My cousin does it a couple of times a week, she says it's probably the best work-out she's ever had. Needless to say, upper body strength is a must :tongue:
Reply 167
Original post by imy7
Whether there is a moral divide depends on someones opinion on what is wrong and right/socially acceptable, so you can't try to pretend that what you're saying is all fact I'm afraid.

Precisely. I have an opinion on this matter that I think is correct (aka a "fact") and I am defending it. That is what a debate is.

I'd also like to point out that there is a difference between a counter-argument or debate, and shoving your personal opinion down someones throat.

Precisely. By listening to counter-arguments and then defending my argument against them, I am doing this thing called debating. I have been doing this for a long time and am somewhat practiced in the art. You are not debating on the other hand, what you are doing is known as spamming.

You think that pole dancing will always have the same purpose, and many people on this thread agree. But many also disagree, and that doesn't mean you have to try to convince them that you're right.

You need to look up the word "debate". Pay particular attention to the bit about how a debate is the act of two parties trying to convince each other that their argument is the correct one.

YOU need to learn how to debate before judging others and calling them pathetic.

No, I think you need to google the words "debate" and "opinion".

If you think anything I have said is incorrect, please come forward with a counter-argument. Then we will be debating about debating. Or not, according to you. If you are unable to come up with a sufficient counter-argument, then feel free to **** off and stop spamming.
Reply 168
Original post by py0alb
Money is THE difference? So other than getting paid, there is no difference between a casual pole dancer and a stripper?

You said it, not me.

lol pwned
Reply 169
Original post by goape
lol pwned

I couldn't resist, this thread is like taking candy from a baby. Most of them don't even seem to understand how to argue a point and just get confused when you contradict them and call you names instead of responding properly. :biggrin:
Original post by Drunk Punx
That was your first post? Cracking :awesome:

My cousin does it a couple of times a week, she says it's probably the best work-out she's ever had. Needless to say, upper body strength is a must :tongue:

Not my first post ever! First post in the fitness forum. Or is that what you meant? Anyway, I never meant to provoke such a reaction, I didn't think it was that bad a thread :tongue:

Thank you for your actually useful response though, James :smile: Did you just happen upon this thread, or were you stalking my posts? :tongue:
Reply 171
Not my first post ever! First post in the fitness forum. Or is that what you meant? Anyway, I never meant to provoke such a reaction, I didn't think it was that bad a thread :tongue:

It's not a bad thread at all, its been a very interesting thread in fact.
Original post by py0alb
It's not a bad thread at all, its been a very interesting thread in fact.

For you maybe, since you seem to enjoy arguing (even though you're not as good at it as you evidently think you are). For me, however, the number of your ridiculous posts has far outweighed the helpful posts that actually answered my questions.

So yes, for me as the thread-creator and question-asker, it is a bad thread.
For you maybe, since you seem to enjoy arguing (even though you're not as good at it as you evidently think you are). For me, however, the number of your ridiculous posts has far outweighed the helpful posts that actually answered my questions.

If you want helpful advice: don't do pole dancing and keep hold of your dignity instead.
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
If you want helpful advice: don't do pole dancing and keep hold of your dignity instead.

Yeah, that's not helpful. You have an opinion, fine. But I also have my own opinion, and "don't do it" doesn't answer any of my questions any more than the arguing does...
Reply 175

Alright here's some helpful advice, look on the Ruskin or Cambridge uni websites for a pole dancing soc, and if no luck try talk of the town behind the Grafton centre, they're always advertising for students to try pole dancing, you might get some free lessons off them.
Reply 176
There are lots of strip clubs in Newmarket as well. If you've got a car that might be an option.
Original post by py0alb
Alright here's some helpful advice, look on the Ruskin or Cambridge uni websites for a pole dancing soc, and if no luck try talk of the town behind the Grafton centre, they're always advertising for students to try pole dancing, you might get some free lessons off them.

Seriously, wtf is your problem?!
Reply 178
Seriously, wtf is your problem?!

Your location says Cambridge and your OP said you wanted to try pole dancing, so I gave you some helpful advice on trying pole dancing in Cambridge. How hard is that to understand?

Talk about ungrateful
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 179
so much lulz in here.

Quick Reply

Latest