Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spelling debacles - Why can't people use correct grammar/spell properly??

Announcements Posted on
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is infuriating! Even many of those of pure Anglo-Saxon descent and citizens spell common words wrongly, so it is not limited to 'foreigners' or those of non-Anglo-Saxon descent!

For example, when somebody means "they're", they write/type "their"! It's shocking - many older teenagers are in error in this instance.

Another common one is "you're" and they write/type "your"! I mean - how can people who have been educated for years, spell these simple words wrongly in their late teens!

I cannot understand how you can spell "your" when you mean "you're"!! How can you do that???

EDIT:

I mean, would you rather all persons within the Isles all spoke German??!! This outrageous and incorrect grammar and spelling is insulting to all those great men who fought off the foreign enemies; who protected the Isles, the women, the children; who repelled the hostile Central Powers; who preserved freedom for the future! Show some respect!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The spelling's fine, you gave examples of bad grammar...
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot worse when people feel the need to abbreviate when they have a perfectly good qwerty keyboard/keypad. I, as an Englander, do not understand why people cannot spell things correctly. I can understand some more obscure words, I myself used to be unable to spell ridiculous on paper, but you're/your? No excuses. They're fairly common contractions/pronouns. We've definitely bred a lazy culture here. It exists elsewhere in other countries but that's no excuse for anyone to allow it.

(Original post by Sw3ensterFM)
    But 'your' used as a contraction is not the correct spelling. Its intended meaning does not reflect the spelling.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    There should be no excuses for the your you're errors.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    It's a lot worse when people feel the need to abbreviate when they have a perfectly good qwerty keyboard/keypad. I, as an Englander, do not understand why people cannot spell things correctly. I can understand some more obscure words, I myself used to be unable to spell ridiculous on paper, but you're/your? No excuses. They're fairly common contractions/pronouns. We've definitely bred a lazy culture here. It exists elsewhere in other countries but that's no excuse for anyone to allow it.

But 'your' used as a contraction is not the correct spelling. It's intended meaning does not reflect the spelling.
    Oh, boy.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sw3ensterFM)
    I have rendered the title more accurate, but the point still stands!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whilst seeing incorrectly spelled words does irritate me somewhat, what irritates me far more is when people not only abbreviate unnecessary words in real life situations, but they also abbreviate words that are already short! I keep hear people saying 'ledge' for legend, and 'reb' for rebel. I mean, come on!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The one is always see is 'definitely' spelt 'definately'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because a significant proportion of the human race is stupid/ignorant, simple as that
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This is the type of thing that drives me insane, as above it is also very irritating how they do things like u instead of you also -.-'
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I bet you proofread that original post 14 times.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are stupid
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As long as people get their message across I don't really care whether people make mistakes. Though I do always find it funny when people who boast about their grades in English, or are actually doing an English degree, make silly mistakes.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    Oh, boy.
    What? It's is a contraction for 'it is'. I'm glad your foolishness allowed you to feel proud of yourself though, it's really sad when some people never get to experience this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madmia)
    This is the type of thing that drives me insane, as above it is also very irritating how they do things like u instead of you also -.-'
    It's also very irritating when you use one too many alsos
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What? It's is a contraction for 'it is'. I'm glad your foolishness allowed you to feel proud of yourself though, it's really sad when some people never get to experience this.
    The worst thing is that you don't even realise it. :teehee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because it's not taught much to children anymore. As a teenager myself, I know that my lessons have never been on grammar/spell but on how to pass the exam. Really, this starts at KS3, but in my time in KS2 and 1 we never really learnt grammar only spelling.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It can be, but not in your sentence, it should have been its with no apostrophe.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're idiots.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    The worst thing is that you don't even realise it. :teehee:
    What the hell you put an apostrophe there. HIJACKER!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.