Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spelling debacles - Why can't people use correct grammar/spell properly??

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is the use of two question marks meant to be ironic then?

On a slightly related note I know someone who calls rosary beads rosemary beads....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    What the hell you put an apostrophe there. HIJACKER!
    No, you don't. Reread your post, you're not shortening it is you are using 'its' in its possessive form, so no apostrophe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the main problem is that people don't read enough anymore. If you read a lot during childhood, the appearance of certain words and the way that grammatical structures work becomes second nature when you're older.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    bcuz havin a education aint cool
    --

^ this attitude.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    Is the use of two question marks meant to be ironic then?

On a slightly related note I know someone who calls rosary beads rosemary beads....
    It is to show emphasis and convey the intensity of my outrage at Her Majesty's language being violated. This is allowed; especially as I have been well-educated in the fundamentals of the English language.

P.S. If you think this post to be pretentious and/or grandiose and to be emanating fumes of excessive grandiloquence; take note that most of my posts are in this fashion. I merely have fun exercising my brain by making sure my posts are of impeccable standard and at the height of English. As a result, unlike many TSR users, my time here on the forum is fruitful as my skills of language and linguistic conveying is better improved.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because spelling is, strictly speaking, arbitrary. Much of it cannot be derived by principle, so must be rote-learned. Some people just don't grasp it early enough in life, or maybe don't have the cognitive make-up to get it at all. Education and parenting is to blame for the former.

There is no excuse for grammatical errors. There is a principled distinction between 'your' and 'you're'. I don't understand how anyone who cares about getting it right can continually fail to do so.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A moments silence for our persecuted dyslexic friends please.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It can be annoying but there is no need to lose sleep over it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    It is to show emphasis and convey the intensity of my outrage at Her Majesty's language being violated. This is allowed; especially as I have been well-educated in the fundamentals of the English language.

P.S. If you think this post to be pretentious and/or grandiose and to be emanating fumes of excessive grandiloquence; take note that most of my posts are in this fashion. I merely have fun exercising my brain by making sure my posts are of impeccable and the height of English. As a result, unlike many TSR users, my time here on the forum is fruitful as my skills of language and linguistic conveying is better improved.
    are of impeccable what?!!?

bad show old chap.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    You do realise OP, that EVERY single post you make on here is now going to be intensely analysed for any single grammar/spelling error? I give it until tomorrow when you'll be unmasked as a hypocrite.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganMc)
    I think the main problem is that people don't read enough anymore. If you read a lot during childhood, the appearance of certain words and the way that grammatical structures work becomes second nature when you're older.
    Yep, this.
    Children nowadays read from the internet, which abounds with spelling and grammar mistakes, rather than reading correct, proofread English.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I hate it when people use more than one question mark in a row.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread is so funny. Everyone flexing their Spelling and Grammar Nazi muscles.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    There should be no hyphen there. "Well-educated" is a compound adjective. What you're using there is a combination of an adverb and a verb, which should not be connected by a hyphen.

Also, the semicolon in that sentence should have been a colon.

Carry on.
    He's going to kill himself now.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:

P.S. If you think this post to be pretentious and/or grandiose and to be emanating fumes of excessive grandiloquence; take note that most of my posts are in this fashion. I merely have fun exercising my brain by making sure my posts are of impeccable and the height of English. As a result, unlike many TSR users, my time here on the forum is fruitful as my skills of language and linguistic conveying is better improved.
    There should be no hyphen there. "Well-educated" is a compound adjective. What you're using there is a combination of an adverb and a verb, which should not be connected by a hyphen.

Carry on.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're all complete pricks, if someone says your the one or you're the one...unless you're stuck so far up your own arse, you will know what they meant.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piko_Piko)
    He's going to kill himself now.
    I took out the semicolon part because, on reflection, I'm unsure whether a colon would be accepable or a comma would be the only option.

Anyway, I think suicide might be unnecessary, I just wish he'd either shut up or adhere to his own standard.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

just to add to the errors already picked 'linguistic conveyance' would make more sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bad grammar annoys me, but what annoys me are the people who insist on correcting it, as if they don't have a better comeback.
    Example:
    person1: your so annoying
    person2: you're*
    ಠ_ಠ
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bad grammar annoys the hell out of me!!.

Maybe I should have been an English teacher?.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.