Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Spelling debacles - Why can't people use correct grammar/spell properly??

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People that go on about this all day are, in my opinion, arrogant and conceited. To get so frustrated at a misuse of grammar bespeaks a colossal idiot. And you're asking this question as if you don't know the answer, which is of course 'People really don't care as much as you'. If they cared they'd look it up, but moaning about it on TSR is not going to change much.

And if it's not the person's fault then it's schools'. I cannot remember a single point since year 4 where I was taught any grammar whatsoever (indeed, when I was taught grammar before then I've sinced learned it was taught wrongly). Mercifully it interests me, so I taught myself, but it's unfair to blame others when you must know that it is taught awfully in schools. It's a bit like blaming me for my lack of knowledge on the Boer Wars - my reasons are simply that I was never taught it and subsequently do not care. You are right about some things though, it looks unprofessional when people are applying for jobs etc. with bad grammar, so it's something that should be improved. But please don't blame anyone other than schools.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Hehe.......:P

I see some of you are awake this afternoon and noticed my intended bad grammar.
    Three dots in an ellipsis is plenty. Also, it looks better when there is a space between punctuation and 'smiley faces'.

• 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    It is infuriating! Even many of those of pure Anglo-Saxon descent and citizens spell common words wrongly, so it is not limited to 'foreigners' or those of non-Anglo-Saxon descent!

For example, when somebody means "they're", they write/type "their"! It's shocking - many older teenagers are in error in this instance.

Another common one is "you're" and they write/type "your"! I mean - how can people who have been educated for years, spell these simple words wrongly in their late teens!

I cannot understand how you can spell "your" when you mean "you're"!! How can you do that???

EDIT:

I mean, would you rather all persons within the Isles all spoke German??!! This outrageous and incorrect grammar and spelling is insulting to all those great men who fought off the foreign enemies; who protected the Isles, the women, the children; who repelled the hostile Central Powers; who preserved freedom for the future! Show some respect!
    Dey got low standerds, innit.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally find 'to' and 'too' to be one of the worst How can you get it wrong?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always been one to suffer in silence when it comes to grammatical errors. I always turn a blind eye.

I have to say though, these dogdamn comma splices I see EVERYWHERE are starting to get to me.

They are EVERYWHERE! Stop uniting two independent clauses with a comma, people!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I started to get confused when he went on about men giving their lives for correct English spelling.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else notice the OP's incorrect use of "wrongly" in the first line?

notsureifserious.jpg
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MisanthropicLemon)
    People that go on about this all day are, in my opinion, arrogant and conceited. To get so frustrated at a misuse of grammar bespeaks a colossal idiot. And you're asking this question as if you don't know the answer, which is of course 'People really don't care as much as you'. If they cared they'd look it up, but moaning about it on TSR is not going to change much.

And if it's not the person's fault then it's schools'. I cannot remember a single point since year 4 where I was taught any grammar whatsoever (indeed, when I was taught grammar before then I've sinced learned it was taught wrongly). Mercifully it interests me, so I taught myself, but it's unfair to blame others when you must know that it is taught awfully in schools. It's a bit like blaming me for my lack of knowledge on the Boer Wars - my reasons are simply that I was never taught it and subsequently do not care. You are right about some things though, it looks unprofessional when people are applying for jobs etc. with bad grammar, so it's something that should be improved. But please don't blame anyone other than schools.
    You seem to be under the misapprehension that schools are about education, when they are in fact merely qualification and assessment centres. Only one person is responsible for your education, you. If people want to learn then they will, regardless of whether they go to school or not.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    [FONT=times new roman]Even many of those of pure Anglo-Saxon descent and citizens spell common words wrongly, so it is not limited to 'foreigners' or those of non-Anglo-Saxon descent!
    Bad spelling and grammar annoys me as well, but then so does your post

What on earth are you on about 'pure Angle-Saxon' descent for? What has that got to do with anything? I can appreciate there might be a difference in language expectations between a native citizen and a foreign visitor, but why on earth would Angle-Saxon lineage make a difference? Anglo-Saxons didn't even speak English as we know it today.

I mean, would you rather all persons within the Isles all spoke German??!!
    This is an annoying sentence. You use the word 'all' twice when it is only required once. I might make a new thread about this...

:chaplin:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha you would LOVE me.
    Can't spell for toffee and yet i still get an A in English lit.
    I am the bain (bane?) of all english teachers
    (and spelling fantantics like yourself, of course )
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is infuriating! Even many of those of pure Anglo-Saxon descent and citizens spell common words wrongly, so it is not limited to 'foreigners' or those of non-Anglo-Saxon descent!

For example, when somebody means "they're", they write/type "their"! It's shocking - many older teenagers are in error in this instance.

Another common one is "you're" and they write/type "your"! I mean - how can people who have been educated for years, spell these simple words wrongly in their late teens!

I cannot understand how you can spell "your" when you mean "you're"!! How can you do that???

EDIT:

I mean, would you rather all persons within the Isles all spoke German??!! This outrageous and incorrect grammar and spelling is insulting to all those great men who fought off the foreign enemies; who protected the Isles, the women, the children; who repelled the hostile Central Powers; who preserved freedom for the future! Show some respect!

People are dying all over the world from famine and disease and bombs, yet you take issue with spelling.

Well done.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Dey got low standerds, innit.

Firstly, dear Margaret, allow me to express my sincerest thanks for gracing me with your appearance. It is most pleasing.

Secondly, Margaret, what outrageous dialect do you speak above? :shock:
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robin22391)
    People are dying all over the world from famine and disease and bombs, yet you take issue with spelling.

Well done.
    I nearly died myself when I saw "their" in a post this morning. The poster did not even mean "they're", they meant "there"! Can you believe it? :shock:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James82)
    You seem to be under the misapprehension that schools are about education, when they are in fact merely qualification and assessment centres. Only one person is responsible for your education, you. If people want to learn then they will, regardless of whether they go to school or not.

this must change
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James82)
    They're supposed to be about education, but they're currently not. If it was merely about finding the most talented students then we'd give them a few exams at an early age and throw them straight into work. It's supposed to be about equipping them with skills and then testing them to make sure that those skills are cemented. And I disagree with your point that only you are responsible for your education. I certainly would not be reading Shakespeare were it not for the school system.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I nearly died myself when I saw "their" in a post this morning. The poster did not even mean "they're", they meant "there"! Can you believe it? :shock:
    Well someone on this forum had to take up this, important issue.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Excellent post, good sir.

It's a shame about the execution though.

Better luck next time, old boy.

• 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you're/your and they're/their/there can sometimes be done by mistake. I know I accidentally write one when I mean the other sometimes, despite being perfectly aware of the difference in meaning. It does annoy me when people do it repetitively though - presumably because either they're very careless or don't know any different.

What does annoy me is people who use American spellings of English words when they're English. Patronise/recognise/realise are, as far as I am concerned, the correct spellings and not patronize/recognize/realize. Grr.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

EDIT:

I don't know "proper" grammar nor how to use "proper" punctuation. You might find it shocking I "admit" this. The fact of the matter is, I just don't know how.

Why? It's almost hard to believe that a student in Gifted and Talented who will come out will B's and above at GCSE level and then most likely go onto College and maybe even University... It's hard to believe I lack such a basic skill.

The answer to this is simple... The education system focuses on exams and memorization and everything is centred around an exam. And nothing else matters. It's shocking that I've got this far in my life when I lack such a basic skill.

But there you go.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I wont use poor grammar AND you my friend can destroy the one ring for me.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.