Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You would be better of bulking when you are sub 15% bodyfat

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have seen this said quite a lot on a few forums. Is there much research done into this? If so what does it show?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Common sense really isn't it.

Otherwise you'd have to have one hell of a cut.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your goals. Right now I want to be 12% bodyfat just because I consider it healthy and attractive. I'm not fussed about specifically trying to bulk to get bigger before I trim down, Id rather trim down while I get stronger and then just see what my body does to respond to all the heavy lifting, active lifestyle and healthy, big diet >
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    When you bulk, you gain bodyfat. If you start at a lower bodyfat %, then you can bulk for longer before you get to an unreasonable/unacceptable level of bodyfat and need to cut.

Also, the more bodyfat % you have, the more you aromatise (convert) testosterone to oestrogen, which is bad for gainz
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    Also, the more bodyfat % you have, the more you aromatise (convert) testosterone to oestrogen, which is bad for gainz
    those big fat powerlifters though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sword)
    ... are still mainly muscle.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sword)
    are probably injecting grams of testosterone every week, and running aromatase inhibitors.

Your move.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I'm 20% and still bulking.

Linear progression on Starting Strength is too good to turn down.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Damn, I'm 20% and still bulking.

Linear progression on Starting Strength is too good to turn down.
    Thing is if anyone calls you fat all you gotta do is OHP them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    summer is coming up though so gotta get shredded, 7 more weeks and should be 8% all the bishes gonna be mirin
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sword)
    summer is coming up though so gotta get shredded, 7 more weeks and should be 8% all the bishes gonna be mirin
    8% and not 9% ?

Bishes don't care about your bodyfat percentage
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    Thing is if anyone calls you fat all you gotta do is OHP them.
    People are calling me fat all the time. Well at work they are anyway, lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bulking is overrated
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'll just see how I look when I'm 5kg heavier.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it's common sense

why add bulk and add a load of fat along the way when you're going to have to eventually get rid of it?

why not stay healthy and lean, and slowly add muscle mass? you won't need to waste a long time cutting and you will always look relativity good.

bulking / cutting is so 10 years ago.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    it's common sense

why add bulk and add a load of fat along the way when you're going to have to eventually get rid of it?

why not stay healthy and lean, and slowly add muscle mass? you won't need to waste a long time cutting and you will always look relativity good.

have to agree with this, slow clean bulk is best so you can stay lean year round, I always lol @ the dirty bulkers who end up looking a fat idiot for six months of the year
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I eat a lot of junk but my calorie surplus isn't very high so I'm gonna be fine. I'm not sure of my current bodyfat but I can see some definition in my abs without any fancy lighting.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    it's common sense

I have yet to unlock slow-gainz mode, and gain slowly without gaining fat. Doing intermittent fasting atm, with a caloric surplus... mind blowing how I can eat 3500kcal in 8 hours, then still be hungry later on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anecdotally, most of the people who get really, really big have been somewhat fat and held that 'fat' weight for a significant period of time before dieting. I do also think that there's a reasonably significant genetic component in how lean you can stay while making gains in muscular bodyweight. Some people just need to get a bit soft in order to make gains, though obviously I'm not recommending the dreamer bulk or looking like a land whale.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    I have yet to unlock slow-gainz mode, and gain slowly without gaining fat. Doing intermittent fasting atm, with a caloric surplus... mind blowing how I can eat 3500kcal in 8 hours, then still be hungry later on
    Whats the science behind IF and why do no serious bodybuilders do it? I mean for lower calorie intake I suppose it could be ok, but at 5,000 + is it still a good idea?

Theres a reason why pros eat the way they do?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.