Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The best part of spending 4 hours washing, claying, polishing, and waxing your car?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The best part of spending 4 hours washing, claying, polishing, and waxing your car?

When you wake up the next morning to find that someone has done you the "favour" of "washing" your (already completely gleaming) car with a dirty grit filled sponge and fairy liquid, stripping all the wax from the paintwork and leaving it covered in dried in soap marks from head to toe. Oh my ****ing god.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I take it some kid did this then came to your door expecting money?

I'd have dragged him back to his parents and got them to pay for any damage.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though, after that amount of time/effort, I'd be scared to touch the paintwork, let alone drive it anywhere...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who did that?!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hearty_Beast)
    Seriously though, after that amount of time/effort, I'd be scared to touch the paintwork, let alone drive it anywhere...
    I'm not a fanatic about my car or anything hehe, it's just something I do twice a year to make the paintwork as good as new. Hand applying hard wax to a car (after making the paint absolutely immaculate by washing, claying, polishing) basically seals it, meaning no dirt will actually touch the paintwork and washing in the future is a really quick job which doesn't require any elbow grease at all.

Unfortunately fairy liquid is abrasive and just strips off all the wax in one go. Not sure why people use it on cars.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never really got the argument against fairy liquid. I must have cleaned 1000+ cars with fairy liquid and a sponge, and I am yet to observe any noticeable paintwork damage.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

I do this every year as well and the thought of someone even coming near my car with a sponge sends shivers down my spine! Honda paint is so soft that a tiny bit of grit will scratch it down to the primer. And fairy liquid!! Arghhhh! Has any of the wax survived? Maybe sprinkle some water on it and see if any is on there still?

I dread to think what I would have done to the little **** after I wash my car like this, good 6 hours work.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    :nooo:

Haha, I'm raging just reading this. I'd slap the **** out of anyone who did that. Who the hell 'washed' it for you anyway, family member?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of those hand car washes I presume?

I'm pretty over the top with my car cleaning really, considering the car is 13 years old and has a few scratches and dents thanks to the previous owner.

Washed and hoovered every weekend regardless of what the weather is. Polished and waxed every month or two. Every four months I remove all previous polishes and waxes, then clay the car, polish again and wax again.

Door shuts and engine bay get cleaned every week as it doesnt take that long. Back-to-black on the plastic trim when required.

Then again I'm sad and I quite enjoy cleaning it and I like having a clean car regardless of it's age or condition. Can't stand seeing it parked up covered in dirt
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Be careful polishing it that much, you don't want to take the lacquer off!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Be careful polishing it that much, you don't want to take the lacquer off!
    It's usually just a quick light hand polish with the least abbrasive polish (more like a filler) that I have every couple of months, nothing too mad.

I might use something a little more abbrasive when I clay the car depending on any swirl marks, but even then I don't apply much pressure, and it's no where near are abbrasive as some of the products used by people on DetailingWorld.

Doesn't come up too badly for a car with 126,000 miles on it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, fair play! I always use autoglym SRP and then EGP to bring up a car after claying, although just got their new polish for dark cars which I shall be trying soon! Autoglym stuff is mostly filler so its normally ok, leaves a good finish for the money too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did you find out who did it!?

I'd be livid. I move my car when the mothership decides it's time to wash hers. When I had my old Punto, she used to throw the bucket of dirty water over my car too. Got pretty angry and she stopped. I think she thought she was being helpful ??
    I told her about not using fairy liquid though. Hopefully she's remembered that as well.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use a bucket and sponge on all my cars with washing up liquid. Once it's drip dried I use yellow dusters and coloured wax on it the day after.
    Can't see the problem. It looks fine.

I don't get the whole clay bar, fancy products and mittens deal. It just seems like a way to get more money out of people to me?

Still, each to their own, eh? It'd be a boring world if we all thought the same.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but Jon, all your cars are painted with proper paints that actually last. Not this eco sensitive water based **** that scratches at the mere sight of a stone let alone one touching the paintwork.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I echo JC's comment above, never get the whole buying hugely expensive products (for the car I do actually clean occasionally but its older paintwork). The other one on the other hand..well this was it after a little outing, caused a few heads to turn in the show and shine at a vdub event last summer...

Could have not got it any dirtier if I had tried
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough not wanting to use expensive products, but for washing DO NOT use washing up liquid!!

It is much, much stronger than any car shampoo and will strip off any protection on the car (wax, polish, sealant) which means the paintwork is more susceptible to contaminants, and also it is easier for rust to develop and progress.

It fades the paint too over time, which is not good.

If you really don't want to spend lots of time and money on it (which is fair enough, it is not for everyone!) then get yourself some of that Turtle Wax Zip Wax wash and wax stuff. It won't damage your paint, and gives a mild level of protection.

If you want to keep your car protected, I would recommend polishing and waxing it once every 6 months. You don't need to spend a fortune to get good results, and it doesn't even take that long.

Head over to www.detailingworld.co.uk for more info
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Fair enough not wanting to use expensive products, but for washing DO NOT use washing up liquid!!

It is much, much stronger than any car shampoo and will strip off any protection on the car (wax, polish, sealant) which means the paintwork is more susceptible to contaminants, and also it is easier for rust to develop and progress.
    Rust will only form if there is exposed steel. The purpose of paint is to protect the metal underneath. If it looks pretty too then that's just a bonus. Car manufactures wouldn't even bother to paint cars if the steel didn't start to oxidise within minutes of being exposed to air.
    If a car is starting to rust it ain't down to how you wash it. It'll be because theres an area of damage to the paint or poor prep before the paint went on!

(Original post by 1992LP)
    It fades the paint too over time, which is not good.
    What, like sunlight? Paints change colour over time and that's a fact.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Rust will only form if there is exposed steel. The purpose of paint is to protect the metal underneath. If it looks pretty too then that's just a bonus. Car manufactures wouldn't even bother to paint cars if the steel didn't start to oxidise within minutes of being exposed to air.
    If a car is starting to rust it ain't down to how you wash it. It'll be because theres an area of damage to the paint or poor prep before the paint went on!

What, like sunlight? Paints change colour over time and that's a fact.
    Well if like me you drive an older car that is susceptible to rusting you want to be protecting the paintwork as much as you can. I have seen huge differences in similar cars, it is all down to how you look after the paintwork. Plus if you have a coat of wax on your car it protects it from things like bird crap staining your paint.

Of course paint changes over time, but you can slow that down / greatly reduce it if you take the time once or twice a year to protect the paintwork.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just like shiny things, like a pigeon to silver coins, I am to shiny cars. Hence I spend a fortune on cleaning stuff, if it protects the paint then that is an added bonus!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.