Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do some British citizens of Anglo-Saxon descent use the "White people are...

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do some British citizens of Anglo-Saxon descent use the "White people are being turned into a minority" argument?

Are such persons ignorant of the fact that there are over 80% so-called 'indigenous' (that is, those who identify as Anglo-Saxon descendants etc) Britons within the Isles of the Kingdom?

According to the recent UK census, the figure stands at 85% with a further few percent identifying themselves as 'White other' and the like. This leaves remaining ethnic minorities at around 10% of the UK population.

If the White 'indigenous' majority is being turned into a minority, then should their percentage not be lower? Say, around 60% of the UK population?

Does this then mean that their 'argument' - or rather, assertion - is groundless and does not stand?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a whole yes their argument does not stand.

However perhaps if you look at the locations where these people who make the arguments live perhaps the statistics say something different

As of 2009, every UK region has a White British majority population. There are however seven London boroughs where White British individuals represent a minority of the overall local population (including Brent 30.9%, Ealing 45.5%, Hackney 47.1%, Harrow 47.5%, Newham 32.6%, Tower Hamlets 47.1% and Westminster 49%).
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    "The Isles of the Kingdom" :teehee:

I guess they're talking about specific locations rather than Britain as a whole. Where I live is only 25% white according to Wikipedia :lol:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because of many things such as multiculturalism, increased immigration and political correctness.

Not that I'm against any of the above, apart from the last one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It might only be 10%, but in some areas there are such large numbers of ethnic minorities that White British really are the minority.
    Plus, if immigration continues then that percentage could go up, and (I think) some of the cultures of ethnic minorities involve having large families, compared to White British families which tend to be smaller.
    So yeah. Might be 10% now, but that'll go up. =(
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Anglo-Saxon? Wow. Haven't heard that term used by an English speaker to describe modern white people in Britain (though the French call everybody in Britain and America 'les Anglo-Saxons').
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    As dean said, in some areas, it is much more than true.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    interestingly the anglo-saxons never made a huge genetic impact on England (land of the Angles) nor Wales or Scotland. their impact was cultural as opposed to genetic. most "white british" people are the direct descendants of the ice ages settlers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cause the number of ethnic minorities is set to rise whilst the number of white Brits are set to lower and in some places in the UK they are the minority.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most white people in Britain are probably not Anglo Saxon. So many invaders and immigrants have come in the years since the Anglo Saxons were around. And I never understand why having Anglo Saxon heritage is such a big badge of honour amongst white people. They weren't event he first white people in the country, they actually invaded and kicked out the Romans who in turn invaded and kicked out the Celts. In short they were just any random barbarians from that time. I don't see the French and Spanish and Italians getting excited about their Frankish or Vandal or Ostrogoth heritage.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wait till you tell them that white folks are a minority in the WORLD! That really messes with their heads
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because white people in Britain will become a minority within the next 75-100 years. It saddens me to see how all these African and Asian immigrants have ruined British cities. Someone will say diversity is good or something now yes it has brought us increased crime rates from black gangs in London plus riots accross the country so how that is good who knows. We are also told to accept all this cultures and be welcoming why when British culture would not be accepted in countries such as Pakistan where large amounts of immigrants come from.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexbo)
    Most white people in Britain are probably not Anglo Saxon. So many invaders and immigrants have come in the years since the Anglo Saxons were around.
    Not in particularly large numbers. There were only about 20,000 Normans (http://www.britishbattles.com/norman...e-hastings.htm) that came to settle in England out of a population of about 1 -2 million. (http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk/life.html#6). So that's only 1-2% of the population. Apart from that, the biggest group of immigrants were the Huegenots. There were about 50,000 of them. A lot, but still by far a minority compared to the people who were already there.

(Original post by sexbo)
    And I never understand why having Anglo Saxon heritage is such a big badge of honour amongst white people. They weren't event he first white people in the country, they actually invaded and kicked out the Romans who in turn invaded and kicked out the Celts. In short they were just any random barbarians from that time. I don't see the French and Spanish and Italians getting excited about their Frankish or Vandal or Ostrogoth heritage.
    The Romans didn't kick out the Celts, they ruled over them. During Roman Britain, most people were Celtic. With Roman influences in both culture and blood, but still mostly Celtic.

It's a bit different to other invasions from Germanic tribes because the Anglo Saxons came to completely dominate England. The people of most of southern Britain were Anglo Saxons, whether that was through replacing the population, or replacing their culture. Compare that to the Franks. They had a lot of influence on the French language, but it's still primarily based on Latin. Where as I think there's barely any Celtic influence in modern English. And most of the influence from Latin came after the Anglo Saxons converted to Christianity, and then through French when the Normans invaded.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well, I guess their rationing in that as a whole demographic the % of ethnic white Brits is lower then right after the post-war period where it was likely 99%, whilst in some areas the % of white Brits is lower then their % of the national population.

So many of those people use 'white' as a conglomerate term like they're one homogenous group, shows these persons are so superficial they would judge someone solely on their appearance. One definition of white can extend to someone from Iran and Algeria. Even if I don't agree with their reasoning, I would be happy if all of them used proper terminology by using "white British" in their arguments. I wonder if they would be happy if, say 10000 non-white minorities in the UK who are repeat crime offenders suddenly became 10000 immigrants from mainland Europe who are repeat crime offenders. Does it make it any better?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 14, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.