Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Would you let me tutor your kids?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would you be comfortable with a 16 year old tutoring your kid?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your grades tell the story + your past experience means I think you will be rolling in the rich parents' money!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have good credentials, go ahead and advertise, although your best business is likely to come from word of mouth. If people are put off by your age, then consider an alternative.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you crb checked?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your age would definitely be something to be wary about because you'd see how old you are and get the idea that you don't have enough experience yourself. However, if I were to interview you and you told me everything you've posted here, I'd say that you have a pretty good chance of being hired.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    you should ask the parents of the kids you have tutored in the past to recommend you to their friends/family
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plimsolls)
    Are you crb checked?
    Yep I have 2 actually...lol (for two different volunteering posts)
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak395)
    Yep I have 2 actually...lol (for two different volunteering posts)
    I would definitely mention that in your advert- from past experience, that makes can make a lot of difference in the mind of a parent.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak395)
    I am 16 years old (year 11) and want to advertise to tutor year 6 students in maths to prepare them for secondary school during the summer holidays. I am planning to tutor a group of 4 for £10 an hour per child.

I have been home schooled throughout secondary school and have self-taught a lot. In year 8 I completed maths GCSE and got an A* grade 3 years early. I've achieved 7 A* grades at GCSE early and am predicted another 3 A*s this year. In january I did my AS level maths one and a half year early and got an A overall (Marks for each module: 99, 93 and 86.)

I have tutored kids aged 5-15 in Arabic since I was 12, so that's 4 years now. I have also tutored a year 8 student in maths for about a year and she recently went up a whole level in one term. My tutees' parents have commented on how well I manage the kids and how patient I am with them. I recently helped my cousin and a friend revise for GCSE Maths and they both commented on how they understand concepts when I explain them better than when the teacher does.

I now want to advertise to the general public but am afraid that people may not want me to tutor their kids due to my age but I believe that being younger is actually an advantage to me because I remember what methods helped me to understand concepts and this reflects in my tutoring.
    Subtract 258 from your username, then yes.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak395)
    I am 16 years old (year 11) and want to advertise to tutor year 6 students in maths to prepare them for secondary school during the summer holidays. I am planning to tutor a group of 4 for £10 an hour per child.

I have been home schooled throughout secondary school and have self-taught a lot. In year 8 I completed maths GCSE and got an A* grade 3 years early. I've achieved 7 A* grades at GCSE early and am predicted another 3 A*s this year. In january I did my AS level maths one and a half year early and got an A overall (Marks for each module: 99, 93 and 86.)

I have tutored kids aged 5-15 in Arabic since I was 12, so that's 4 years now. I have also tutored a year 8 student in maths for about a year and she recently went up a whole level in one term. My tutees' parents have commented on how well I manage the kids and how patient I am with them. I recently helped my cousin and a friend revise for GCSE Maths and they both commented on how they understand concepts when I explain them better than when the teacher does.

I now want to advertise to the general public but am afraid that people may not want me to tutor their kids due to my age but I believe that being younger is actually an advantage to me because I remember what methods helped me to understand concepts and this reflects in my tutoring.
    Did you ask just so that you could show off your GCSE marks? Be honest?

You evidently have the credentials, so providing you have the ability to interact well with children it shouldn't be a problem. That said, £10 per hour in a group of four seems a bit pricey for a sixteen year old tutor.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not gunna lie. I don't think I would want you tutoring my kids.
    You sound like a bit of a protensious (spl?) prick!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goape)
    Subtract 258 from your username, then yes.
    AK137? Were you trying to get to AK47? I think you need a maths tutor! :giggle:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Did you ask just so that you could show off your GCSE marks? Be honest?

You evidently have the credentials, so providing you have the ability to interact well with children it shouldn't be a problem. That said, £10 per hour in a group of four seems a bit pricey for a sixteen year old tutor.
    NOOO.... I did not.. seriously....

What do u think would be an ideal rate?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    No, I do mean ak137.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Nah, he means this guy
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak395)
    NOOO.... I did not.. seriously....

What do u think would be an ideal rate?
    I don't really know to be honest. Perhaps I'm wrong, but not many people your age make £40 an hour.

(Original post by goape)
    No, I do mean ak137.
    (Original post by AkaJetson)
    Nah, he means this guy
    Seemed to good to be true on a maths tutor thread :mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak395)

They would have to be cruel parents to make their kids do work in the Summer holidays.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    I don't really know to be honest. Perhaps I'm wrong, but not many people your age make £40 an hour.

Seemed to good to be true on a maths tutor thread :mad:
    I think an ak47 is a pretty brutal way to teach maths.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really remember learning anything much for the first few years of secondary school anyways, so I'm not sure there's much of a market for between primary and secondary tutoring?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    £10 an hour is steep for a 16 year old. Especially as that's for a group of four - for that sort of money you'd expect one-on-one tuition.

Honestly, no offence, but no I wouldn't pay you to tutor my kids.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 20, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.