The Student Room Group

Would you let me tutor your kids?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ak395

I'm actually making £30 for one hour 15 mins at the moment tutoring arabic but I agree that £40 is a bit much... maybe £15 for two hours for a group of 3?

And how should I advertise.. the arabic was through word of mouth and i have got a waiting list of like 10 kids but i can't take them on just for teh summer holz and leave them whereas this would be a holiday booster thing so i would stop tutoring when i start my a levels as i won't have the time since i'm already doing about 6 hours a week.

You're already doing pretty well there. I've known oxbridge grads tutoring (maths) to get like, £25 odd for an hour and a half. Arabic is admittedly rarer, but you'd still be doing quite well I think to get much more of that.
You are showing your lack of experience. Having 2 productive hours in one go isn't going to happen. Plus, it's not academic grades that make the tutor, it's the teaching ability of which at your age you will lack. Someone of your age and experience wouldn't often be trusted with a child's academic life (of which getting into the right secondary school is a major part of).
Reply 22
Wow, thats pretty impressive.
But I do think that £10 per hour with a group of 4 is a little pricey, maybe £6/7 would be better? You'd be getting around £24-£30 per hour which is a LOT more than a typical sixteen year old gets per hour working.
Reply 23
just be a prostitute, seriously
Reply 24
Original post by sam.hunton
You are showing your lack of experience. Having 2 productive hours in one go isn't going to happen. Plus, it's not academic grades that make the tutor, it's the teaching ability of which at your age you will lack. Someone of your age and experience wouldn't often be trusted with a child's academic life (of which getting into the right secondary school is a major part of).

I would give the students a 15 minute break inbetween. I have been tutored for 2 hours in a go plenty a time but I do agree that you tend to switch off after about an hour so a break would be useful.
hell why not you dont charge nearly as much as some of the other blighters out there and you seem to have a very solid academic background so sure! :smile:
Reply 26
People should quit being mean.. its obvious the people making nasty comments are simply jelous
otherwise they would just give their answer plainly.

Envy is the poison of the heart. So what if this kid is clever? he obviously worked very hard for it, and i personally would love my kids to learn from someone from a similar age!
Go for it OP :biggrin: dont let anyone put you off!
Reply 27
You are very talented and sounds very mature. £10 may be bit high as it is the price people normally charge for one to one tuition. But you never know if people will be willing to pay it. You could quickly make a simple website and write your background there. Just put a link of that on the website. You could shorten your website by using this: http://www.dot.tk/en/index.html?lang=en
This way people will know your real qualifications and history. You have a good future and people like you normally knows that for themselves. You may have heard it hundreds of times from your teachers :smile:
Good Luck, keep doing amazing things.
Reply 28
yes you sound like you'd make a great tutor. The cost isn't even that unreasonable so I say go for it, rich parents will lap it up
You sure its only tutoring your after? :perv:

Yeah!! more neg rep.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by see-are
yes you sound like you'd make a great tutor. The cost isn't even that unreasonable so I say go for it, rich parents will lap it up

Do you mean £10 an hour for group of 4 or £15 for two hours?
Reply 31
No. How can you tutor kids for secondary school when you've never been to one?!

Home schooled kids are strange anyway.
There's no harm in advertising, but I would suggest not putting your age on the advert, or any details about your own qualifications (it makes your tender years rather obvious!) so it's best just to stick to the bare minimum - "KS2 maths tuition and Arabic tuition for all ages available, from £10ph, call ak395 on 07111111111 for more details. References available on request"

From the age of 15 people were giving me the keys to their house and leaving me in charge of their house's security and the care of their pets whilst they went away on holiday, so your age isn't necessarily a barrier to members of the public putting their faith in you.

With regards to the price, you need to research how much tutors are charging locally. Obviously you will have to charge less than qualified teachers, but you don't want to charge so little that people start to wonder what's wrong with your service. You may also find that it's relatively difficult to get 4 children at a similar level together at the same time every week, so offering 1-to-1 tuition may be more practical. You may also find that term time tutoring has more potential - could you do after-school / weekend sessions with children in term time?
Reply 33
Original post by goape
Subtract 258 from your username, then yes.

:rofl:
Plus rep! :yy:
Original post by M1011
AK137? Were you trying to get to AK47? I think you need a maths tutor! :giggle:

Hello :tongue: I dont tutor or anything :tongue:
:smile:

Original post by AkaJetson
Nah, he means this guy :tongue:

Haha :tongue: Im getting famous :cool:
-

...and thank-you for showing me this! :tongue:
:biggrin:
Reply 34
No I wouldn't. I charge £20 an hour for private 1:1 tutoring and in school I am paid £25 for the 1:1 intervention programme but I have QTS.

I think your target market is off - the push for results/learning in maths is in Y6 before SATs and actually I think most parents give their chn time off in the summer before Y7.

Teaching in a group of 4 is a bit impractical, what would you teach them? How would you ensure that their individual learning needs were met? What if only 4 children signed up and they were a 3C, 3A, 4B and 5B how would you manage that differentiation?

Parents pay tutors usually to fill a gap (for example at the moment I am working with a child to specifically improve her sentence construction - her parents told me over the phone she needed help with her literacy but it quickly became apparent that that was her specific learning need) and every child you tutor has a different gap to be filled in, hence 1:1 work. What sort of teaching material would you use? Textbooks? Stuff from TES? Stuff from the National Curriculum? Would you plan the sessions? How would you check they had made progress?

And you are too young - this is the bit when you say you are mature - you are still too young.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
£10 an hour is steep for a 16 year old. Especially as that's for a group of four - for that sort of money you'd expect one-on-one tuition.

Honestly, no offence, but no I wouldn't pay you to tutor my kids.

Agreed, I had some maths tuition before taking high school entrance exams and mine was with a qualified maths teacher, who had a Masters, and it was 20 quid for half an hour.
So you'd be making £40 an hour, essentially?

That's ridiculous - I have QTS and am an actual primary school teacher and wouldn't charge that much. To be aged 16, with no teaching qualifications (or academic qualifications beyond a couple of GCSEs!) to your name then I really don't think you can charge that much at all. What are you going to teach them and how? How do you plan to asses their learning needs at the start, during and then how do you plan to assess the progress your teaching has made? How will it relate to what they've already been doing in school?

I agree with the other teacher I've quoted below.... in the nicest way possible you're 16 and as a result you can't be expected to know much about teaching. However, charging parents a sky high amount for very little isn't really viable. I'd be very worried if one of the children in my class was being "tutored" by a 16 year old for £40 an hour. In Y6 you've got kids working at a 2A/3C level to kids who are on 6C or sometimes higher. I struggle with that level of differentiation, I can't imagine how someone unqualified and so young would do it.

Original post by mmaize
Teaching in a group of 4 is a bit impractical, what would you teach them? How would you ensure that their individual learning needs were met? What if only 4 children signed up and they were a 3C, 3A, 4B and 5B how would you manage that differentiation?

What sort of teaching material would you use? Textbooks? Stuff from TES? Stuff from the National Curriculum? Would you plan the sessions? How would you check they had made progress?

Original post by ak395
I would give the students a 15 minute break inbetween. I have been tutored for 2 hours in a go plenty a time but I do agree that you tend to switch off after about an hour so a break would be useful.

In terms of input, at that age, you're looking at no more than 10-15 minutes. The general pattern should be the children's age plus one, so if you've got 11 year old kids you're looking at no more than 12 minutes of input.
Reply 37
''
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ak395
Thank you, I understand the point you are making but you really have misunderstood me. I would not charge £40 per child per hour. I said £10 in a small group so 4 kids would pay £40 an hour in total. I have gaged from the feedback I have obtained that I should probably charge £15 an hour and do one-to-one.

No, you've misunderstood me.

I said "so you'd be making £40 an hour, essentially?" meaning that regardless of which way you look at it, you as an individual will be making £40 per hour. This is somewhat excessive when a newly qualified teacher in the UK outside of London makes £17 an hour if we assume that they only work for 6.5 hours a day for 38 weeks a year... when we know that isn't true at all, meaning the actual rate of pay per hour worked is a lot lower than this... so you charging even £15 an hour per child is excessive when minimum wage for a 16 year old is about £3.

You still haven't really answered my questions or other people's questions though, although they're not really for you to answer as such, it's more really important things that you need to think about before you can even consider what rate you plan on charging. I didn't become a teacher because I thought "oooh well if I teach 30 kids X amount of stuff per day the government will pay me X amount of money" and then work out how exactly I was going to become a teacher, it works the other way around. If I were a prospective parent considering getting a tutor for my child I would want to know which areas of the curriculum you planned on teaching (ie: what are your learning objectives?), how you planned on teaching it, how you were going to assess my child before, during and after the tutoring sessions and where you envisaged their learning going next. For example, will you be working with the same teaching style that my child has already been doing at school for things like division? These are serious things you need to think about before you just decide you're going to be a tutor.

Why can't you just offer babysitting services and offer to help children with their homework? As the hypothetical parent in this situation, this is something that I would consider much more than a 16 year old with GCSEs wanting to seriously tutor my children. If I were going to get a tutor, I'd look for one with QTS and knowledge of the curriculum/level that my child was working towards whereas I wouldn't employ a fully qualified teacher as a babysitter, I'd employ a student.
Reply 39
No. I'd expect a uni student at the least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending