Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the Grand National go on?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In other news, Andy Carroll killed an ant today.

I say we ban all outdoor sports.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should we ban football?

Far too many humans suffering from heart related problems...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the Grand National should be banned. Many people enjoy watching horse racing and I'm sure I read somewhere that the horses do enjoy racing. However I do think further measures should be put in place to make the race safer. From thoses statistics posted earlier it seems that almost every year a horse dies which is unacceptable, if a horse dies it should be a rare occurence and not a regular one. Horse racing should be safe for all!

There's just neigh some telling people.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Only if they win.
    Who are you to make that statement?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deziah)
    I'm sorry but it annoys the hell out of me when people go on about banning the grand national like it's the worst kind of animal torture. Millions of animals are killed each year for the fast food industry, some of them don't even see the daylight! Yet, people barely bat an eye lid when they go to kfc or mcdonalds. Also, I've heard someone say 'horse racing is killing animals for our entertainment and expense'. Eating meat is the natural way of life, but cheap fast food isn't.

It sounds like I'm going off on a tangent, but it just really annoys me. I don't believe that the grand national should be banned. These horses aren't just taken out of a field, they're breed to race. They're also given a luxurious life in comparison to other animals and pets, and an unthinkable life in comparison to battery animals. I agree it's incredibly upsetting when they fall and have to be put down. But, it seems like people are forgetting that putting the horses down is the most humane way veterinary medicine has discovered. Putting the horses down relieves their pain, and they wouldn't be able to survive with just three legs.

I agree that some of the fences need to be lowered and it should definitely be shorter. I also agree that synchronised shouldn't have raced. But, I'm also sick of people turning into animal rights activists every time the grand national comes on. They don't care every other month when horse races are taking place. It also annoys me when it's people who will happily use animal tested cosmetics (which is the worst kind of torture imo), eat fast food and buy cheap meat which isn't free ranged.

I love animals so much. I don't eat fast food and have sheltered RSPCA animals in the past. I'm sick of people only caring when they actually see a horse being injured.
    I'm glad you know so much about me, my habits, what I eat, and what I stand for. It makes me sick how people are so quick to judge.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Should we ban football?

Far too many humans suffering from heart related problems...
    Football players make their own decisions, horses don't.

I think I do!
    Given the post I just quoted, I'm starting to doubt that.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you know so much about me, my habits, what I eat, and what I stand for. It makes me sick how people are so quick to judge.
    I knew somebody would accuse me of aiming it at them. I'm not aiming it at you, lol.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Football players make their own decisions, horses don't.

Given the post I just quoted, I'm starting to doubt that.
    I do love how in your first post you admitted to not being a horse racing "expert". Yet you claim to know so much about how elite horses are treated? A naive poster such as myself, who has only worked the past two summers tending to harness racing horses, should never disagree with your "expert" opinion!
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deziah)
    I knew somebody would accuse me of aiming it at them. I'm not aiming it at you, lol.
    Probably best you phrase your posts a bit more gently then.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Break down the activity of the sport, what benefits does horse racing provide?

There are more important social issues to deal with. Paradise or oblivion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This argument gets tiring. It's not unreasonable to be in favour of eating animals while being against them being killed in a 'game' which has far little human benefit than meat eating. Sure, neither are essential to live but there can be and is a midlde ground. Further, most 'food' animals are killed in a humane way, they are not usually ridden hard over fences, whipped, and should they fall and break a leg, left thrashing around in agony for as long as 15 minutes before being put out of their misery, if food animals WERE treated this way, I think there would be a hell of a lot more 'veggies' around.
    But we don't go in to races to get the animals killed! It's not deliberate. And yes. We should do more to stop their suffering. And we should not put them down because of a brokem leg. But we should not ban the races. Just make them more humane. And far more horses are mistreated abroad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So it is more common that at least one horse will die in the GN than none will. That's too much as far as I see, when horse racing serves no valuable purpose. Clearly we are divided on that. Perhaps we are different in that I don't like to accept something just because it is.
    dont get me wrong i see where youre coming from, i myself find it distasteful the amount of horses that die but i try to focus on the positives and enjoyability of the racing.
    but i will dispute the 'serves no valuable purpose' remark, as i said it is arguable that without horse racing many horses would loose their reason for being in existance wouldnt they? many horses are bred for racing and what possible reason would people invest the large sums of money required to breed them if racing was no more? and on that you could argue many other sports should be canned as they serve no valuable purpose bar entertainment couldnt you? and many institutions such as zoo's, polo, circuses etc. etc.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do love how in your first post you admitted to not being a horse racing "expert". Yet you claim to know so much about how elite horses are treated? A naive poster such as myself, who has only worked the past two summers tending to harness racing horses, should never disagree with your "expert" opinion!
    You don't have to be an expert to have an idea of what goes on behind the scenes.

This would also be a perfect time to post a "oh, so you worked with horses for 2 years, you must know everything about horses" meme... But seeing as there are quite a few of those floating around, I'll spare you!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate to point out the obvious, but you are also an animal.
    :lol::lolz::lol:
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    dont get me wrong i see where youre coming from, i myself find it distasteful the amount of horses that die but i try to focus on the positives and enjoyability of the racing.
    but i will dispute the 'serves no valuable purpose' remark, as i said it is arguable that without horse racing many horses would loose their reason for being in existance wouldnt they? many horses are bred for racing and what possible reason would people invest the large sums of money required to breed them if racing was no more? and on that you could argue many other sports should be canned as they serve no valuable purpose bar entertainment couldnt you? and many institutions such as zoo's, polo, circuses etc. etc.
    Okay, perhaps 'no valuable purpose' was a bit extreme. There's nothing wrong with using horses for entertainment but there has to be a limit to that. Horse racing isn't in the realm of bear bating or even bull fighting but I think certain aspects of racing (the GN in particular) fall above the line of what is acceptable in sport and what is not.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    But we don't go in to races to get the animals killed! It's not deliberate. And yes. We should do more to stop their suffering. And we should not put them down because of a brokem leg. But we should not ban the races. Just make them more humane. And far more horses are mistreated abroad.
    I agree. Horses are probably treated better in England than most other countries in the world, but they are still not treated well enough in my opinion.

And no, of course you don't go to horse races to get horses killed. I won't be going to Royal Ascot in June in the hope that a horse dies... but I would never go to Aintree on the principle that paying for my ticket is supporting those who are aware of the very high risks of the Grand National and let it go on nonetheless.

Unfortunately, shooting a horse which has broken its front leg is the most humane thing to do, simply because you cannot keep a horse still whilst the leg heals. It will put weight on its front leg regardless of whether it's broken or not and as a consequence it will never really heal.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate to point out the obvious, but you are also an animal.
    LMFAO.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    :bow: Then give me your oh-so-great opinion, dear poster!
    Indeed I will!

Each day I worked began by giving the horses an individualised feed in the early hours of the morning. After they were finished and taken out to warm up, i mucked out their stable and washed them down when they got back. Fed them again at lunch and prepped them for schooling. When the day was done they had a leg check and were put to bed with copious amounts of feed and hay. All the horses were regularly seen by a dentist, chiropractor, farrier and groom.

You're right in saying these horses aren't pets. They're not. And because they're not, they are treated to a far higher physical standard because they are of a much greater importance. These aren't even elite horses i tended to! I can't imagine the care a grand national horse would receive!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.horsedeathwatch.com/

Says all that needs to be said really.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Horses are probably treated better in England than most other countries in the world, but they are still not treated well enough in my opinion.

And no, of course you don't go to horse races to get horses killed. I won't be going to Royal Ascot in June in the hope that a horse dies... but I would never go to Aintree on the principle that paying for my ticket is supporting those who are aware of the very high risks of the Grand National and let it go on nonetheless.

Unfortunately, shooting a horse which has broken its front leg is the most humane thing to do, simply because you cannot keep a horse still whilst the leg heals. It will put weight on its front leg regardless of whether it's broken or not and as a consequence it will never really heal.
    I only just found this out. Such a shame. I think I will build a frame so that it can heal. That is how I will make my millions.
    Don't steal my idea.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 20, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.