Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the Grand National go on?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Indeed I will!

Each day I worked began by giving the horses an individualised feed in the early hours of the morning. After they were finished and taken out to warm up, i mucked out their stable and washed them down when they got back. Fed them again at lunch and prepped them for schooling. When the day was done they had a leg check and were put to bed with copious amounts of feed and hay. All the horses were regularly seen by a dentist, chiropractor, farrier and groom.

You're right in saying these horses aren't pets. They're not. And because they're not, they are treated to a far higher physical standard because they are of a much greater importance. These aren't even elite horses i tended to! I can't imagine the care a grand national horse would receive!
    But this is the whole point of today's story - if elite horses are treated so well, how on earth did we end up with this year's Cheltenham Gold Cup winner, an elite horse like no other, being shot - because he had been pushed into a race he wasn't right for? This must be the case. Look at his pre-race behaviour and then falling almost immediately.

That's the point - that despite the sterling efforts of people like yourself and many others working in the industry who obviously do place great value on horse welfare - this race stands out for it's cruel format and likelihood of horses being killed. It just isn't acceptable.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    I only just found this out. Such a shame. I think I will build a frame so that it can heal. That is how I will make my millions.
    Don't steal my idea.
    You'd certainly make a penny or two out of that!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had £2 E/w on Seabass at 9s.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    But this is the whole point of today's story - if elite horses are treated so well, how on earth did we end up with this year's Cheltenham Gold Cup winner, an elite horse like no other, being shot - because he had been pushed into a race he wasn't right for? This must be the case. Look at his pre-race behaviour and then falling almost immediately.

That's the point - that despite the sterling efforts of people like yourself and many others working in the industry who obviously do place great value on horse welfare - this race stands out for it's cruel format and likelihood of horses being killed. It just isn't acceptable.
    His pre-race behaviour was actually remarkably relaxed! Did you see him in the stable and paddock pre-race? McCoy only fell because he wasn't paying attention and rode Synchonised into the starting tape. Even when the horse was caught, he wasn't obviously stressed.

The point i'm trying to debate is when OP said these horses weren't treated well. I'm not saying anything about the risky nature of the race.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    tbh, I don't know a lot about Horse Racing and all the gorey details about Horse Racing. But I don't think It should be banned by any extent.

I do however think that less horses should par-take in it.

If the Government ever did consider banning it, there would be a unavoidable colossal back-lash. Remember the Fox Hunting ban?

I say this, because for many people, this is their passion and have every right to despise Government intervention, leave these people who have committed no crime alone!

There are far more pressing matters that we should have our attention also. Foreign aid, the Syrian un-rest. A risk of a double-dip recession. Lets focus on that first
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    More Horses would die in the wild than when we look after them. Therefore, it's not as though we butcher them. Accidents happen, and it is a shame, but more would die if it wasn't for the medical treatment and care that we give to horses, in general, in this country.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    His pre-race behaviour was actually remarkably relaxed! Did you see him in the stable and paddock pre-race? McCoy only fell because he wasn't paying attention and rode Synchonised into the starting tape. Even when the horse was caught, he wasn't obviously stressed.

The point i'm trying to debate is when OP said these horses weren't treated well. I'm not saying anything about the risky nature of the race.
    Tipping his jockey off is quite a strange way to demonstrate being "remarkably relaxed"! I would say most people will have thought "stressed". There were comments on twitter as soon as he did it, like, "OMG - I backed Synchro - the horse is obviously in a total state!!".

OP isn't just saying horses aren't treated well, she is challenging the race as being cruel in format, which, sadly, it does appear to be. I'm sure the vets do their best to humanely kill the suffering animal but that doesn't make the overall situation right.

The National isn't the only race where horses die but it's a particularly bad example.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah might as well ban it, horse racing is boring IMO
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgraham15)
    More Horses would die in the wild than when we look after them. Therefore, it's not as though we butcher them. Accidents happen, and it is a shame, but more would die if it wasn't for the medical treatment and care that we give to horses, in general, in this country.
    More humans die per day of natural causes than are murdered every day...

I'm not getting all dramatic and saying these horses are murdered but I think that demonstrates how your point that "lots of horses die in the wild so it's not like we butcher them" doesn't really stand.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tipping his jockey off is quite a strange way to demonstrate being "remarkably relaxed"! I would say most people will have thought "stressed". There were comments on twitter as soon as he did it, like, "OMG - I backed Synchro - the horse is obviously in a total state!!".

OP isn't just saying horses aren't treated well, she is challenging the race as being cruel in format, which, sadly, it does appear to be. I'm sure the vets do their best to humanely kill the suffering animal but that doesn't make the overall situation right.

The National isn't the only race where horses die but it's a particularly bad example.
    Again as i said he was relaxed up until (and even after) McCoy made an error. Nothing from Synchos body language suggested the horse was stressed and unwilling to run. If it was, it wouldn't have made the first jump and simply would have refused.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Again as i said he was relaxed up until (and even after) McCoy made an error. Nothing from Synchos body language suggested the horse was stressed and unwilling to run. If it was, it wouldn't have made the first jump and simply would have refused.
    Oh right, you're arguing that AP caused the fall - that's quite a stretch for such an experienced professional - I will look again at the video but I doubt you are correct.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, you're arguing that AP caused the fall - that's quite a stretch for such an experienced professional - I will look again at the video but I doubt you are correct.
    No i'm saying AP cause the initial pre-race incident.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    No i'm saying AP cause the initial pre-race incident.
    That's the one I'm talking about too.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott1541)
    Yes but these horses are not wild. The technology is available to fix a horses leg but a horse that has broken its leg will not be able to race again, in this situation they are worth more to the owners dead through insurance money.
    I'm going to assume that was written in the heat of the moment, as I find it unlikely that you know how attatched owners are to their horses.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I didn't actually watch the grand national (was watching my football club play) so I didn't see the falls etc and I have only read about what has happened. Does anyone have a video of Synchronised knocking his jockey off before the race started (I don't want to watch the fall or anything)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As a fan of Horse Racing and also being of the belief that horses are majestic creatures, I can understand both sides.

However, I have two dominant thoughts on this. First, you get a lot of people who witness the Grand National and then have the annual rant that it should end and subsequently forget the issue. Second, the Grand National is the greatest horse race around the planet and it is a British institution that would be shameful to end.

In terms of the argument that horses don't want to run the race, I find that a very weak argument. There is no proof of this. People will point to Synchronised running off but it was a case of the horse breaking the tape. The only definitive proof anyone can offer for a horse not wanting to run the race is when a horse refuses at a fence which is rare in National Hunt and the Grand National.

Further, the argument that horses are treated poorly. I would challenge these people to actually visit a trainers yard. Also, Neptune Collonges was running it's last race today and will now go and be treated ever so well and better than a typical horse would be.

I just think that a lot of people who call for it to end are people who hear or witness the deaths and then just demand there and then it to end without weighing up everything.

A lot of effort went into ensuring the course was safer this year and sadly two horses, one who won the Gold Cup, have died.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    More humans die per day of natural causes than are murdered every day...

I'm not getting all dramatic and saying these horses are murdered but I think that demonstrates how your point that "lots of horses die in the wild so it's not like we butcher them" doesn't really stand.
    wait, more horses would die if we didn't look after them... so my point still stands I think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Come on now, there's no need to overreact
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    This argument gets tiring. It's not unreasonable to be in favour of eating animals while being against them being killed in a 'game' which has far little human benefit than meat eating. Sure, neither are essential to live but there can be and is a midlde ground. Further, most 'food' animals are killed in a humane way, they are not usually ridden hard over fences, whipped, and should they fall and break a leg, left thrashing around in agony for as long as 15 minutes before being put out of their misery, if food animals WERE treated this way, I think there would be a hell of a lot more 'veggies' around.
    You sure about that?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Horse racing always get criticism from people who more or less know nothing about the sport . Believe me if a horse does not want to race it will NOT race . Horses love to race but sady some die its life . Are we too ban cars because people die from getting hit by them ? I bet more people die from car accidents than horses die from horse racing

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 20, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.