The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
CBT
Reply 2
A bike :dontknow:

Seriously, you need to do a CBT which is a one day training course. Then you need to come along to the motorbike society as all the info is in the first place - and if you're lucky we won't feed you to Wiggles :yep:
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
A bike :dontknow:

Seriously, you need to do a CBT which is a one day training course. Then you need to come along to the motorbike society as all the info is in the first place - and if you're lucky we won't feed you to Wiggles :yep:

lol ye i'll get a bike as well, so I don't need to do the bike theory?
Reply 4
Original post by singh224
lol ye i'll get a bike as well, so I don't need to do the bike theory?

You will need to do a new theory at some point before taking your full bike tests (there are two parts, Mod 1 and Mod 2. Mod 1 is all the manoeuvre bits, and Mod 2 is on road riding). But if you have a full car licence you only need to do a CBT course before being allowed on a bike on your own with L plates.

Note I keep saying a CBT training course - it's training. You don't have to know anything about bikes before doing it, although if you know basic road stuff (which you should if you drive) that will help.

You also need to get yourself a helmet and some kit - for the CBT you may be able to hire these, but when you're on your own bike you'll want your own.
Reply 5
Original post by Juno
You will need to do a new theory at some point before taking your full bike tests (there are two parts, Mod 1 and Mod 2. Mod 1 is all the manoeuvre bits, and Mod 2 is on road riding). But if you have a full car licence you only need to do a CBT course before being allowed on a bike on your own with L plates.

Note I keep saying a CBT training course - it's training. You don't have to know anything about bikes before doing it, although if you know basic road stuff (which you should if you drive) that will help.

You also need to get yourself a helmet and some kit - for the CBT you may be able to hire these, but when you're on your own bike you'll want your own.

Just one last question, As a Sikh if I'm wearing a turban I don't need a helmet do I?
Reply 6
Just one last question, As a Sikh if I'm wearing a turban I don't need a helmet do I?

I can't answer that one, sorry. Ask in the bike soc.
Arms
Reply 8

SNN1729E_380_890145a.jpg

But seriously,

There is an exemption to the safety helmet requirement for followers of the Sikh religion if they are wearing a turban.

http://bikesafe-sheffield.co.uk/full-test.html

:smile:
Reply 9

legally, no (Motor-Cycle Crash Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act 1976 passed by the British Parliament in 1976, Section 2A "exempts any follower of the Sikh religion while he is wearing a turban" from having to wear a crash helmet.), however, if you care about being alive, get a half helmet and pput it under your turban.

(BW)
(edited 12 years ago)

It depends if you value your life more than your religion, but the law will do nothing to stop you.
You need to take a cbt course. Its not really a test, but just a course to gain knowledge. The course will cost around £100.

I would personally take both A's test. This will allow you to ride without L plates. You will also be able to ride a bike with 33bhp around 250cc. This increases your range of bikes. As you can purchase a 250cc bike, or by a bigger bike then restrict it (Reduce its power) to 33bhp.
You should also purchase some gear (other than your helmet) once you have finally made your mind to venture into the world of biking.

Theres no law making you do so, just prefer if i crashed i keep my skin, instead of sliding down the road and having my skin being ripped off me and my knee caps being sanded down.

Search on google road rash / also read this touching article of a road rash victim recall her accident. http://www.rockthegear.org/index.php?/testimonials/view/brittany_morrow_the_roadrash_queen/

1) HELMET

2) motorcycle GLOVES

3) leather or textile JACKET

4) leather or textile TROUSERS

5) strong ankle high SHOES/BOOTS (clearing things up motorcycle)

5) knee PADS , shoulder PADS, hip PADS

6) back PROTECTION
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
*legally* you only need a CBT and a skid lid.

You'd be a prat if that's all you had, mind...
Reply 14
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me
You should also purchase some gear (other than your helmet) once you have finally made your mind to venture into the world of biking.

Theres no law making you do so, just prefer if i crashed i keep my skin, instead of sliding down the road and having my skin being ripped off me and my knee caps being sanded down.

Search on google road rash / also read this touching article of a road rash victim recall her accident. http://www.rockthegear.org/index.php?/testimonials/view/brittany_morrow_the_roadrash_queen/

1) HELMET

2) motorcycle GLOVES

3) leather or textile JACKET

4) leather or textile TROUSERS

5) strong ankle high SHOES/BOOTS

5) knee PADS , shoulder PADS, hip PADS

6) back PROTECTION

most protective trousers come with knee and hip protection, jackets should come with basic protection in the shoulders and elbows. If you are on a 125 you don't need to go and buy the most expensive protection you can afford, as you won't be getting that fast and shouldn't be in the situation that you need it. Boots should be down the list of priorities, so long as you have boots which cover your ankle bones they should be fine
Reply 15
CBT, a bike, and all the necessary protective gear, sorted mate.
Original post by Lantana
most protective trousers come with knee and hip protection, jackets should come with basic protection in the shoulders and elbows. If you are on a 125 you don't need to go and buy the most expensive protection you can afford, as you won't be getting that fast and shouldn't be in the situation that you need it. Boots should be down the list of priorities, so long as you have boots which cover your ankle bones they should be fine

Most beginners tend to purchase cheap kevlar jeans w/e they are called. They tend not to have built in knee protection. Just don't want to make the assumption that he would buy a product with extras.
Original post by Lantana

Doesn't matter if your on a 125cc or a 33bhp bike. You need protection, good 125cc can easily hit 60 mph - 80mph and if you crash at that speed you will cause some serious damage. I also don't agree on the topic of boots as well, in a crash it wouldn't be surprising if your bike is crushing your leg/ankle as you slide to a stop. Happened to a good friend of mine whilst wearing high converses ,he on the other hand was riding a 50cc. All you can say there was not much remaining of the left hand side of his left shoe (he applied the brakes mid corner!)
Reply 18
Most beginners tend to purchase cheap kevlar jeans w/e they are called. They tend not to have built in knee protection. Just don't want to make the assumption that he would buy a product with extras.

Most begin with nothing.... but what do i know, i'm just a girl. How long ago did you start riding?

Doesn't matter if your on a 125cc or a 33bhp bike. You need protection, good 125cc can easily hit 60 mph - 80mph and if you crash at that speed you will cause some serious damage. I also don't agree on the topic of boots as well, in a crash it wouldn't be surprising if your bike is crushing your leg/ankle as you slide to a stop. Happened to a good friend of mine whilst wearing high converses ,he on the other hand was riding a 50cc. All you can say there was not much remaining of the left hand side of his left shoe (he applied the brakes mid corner!)

Your preaching to the wrong person. I've slide down the road in hiking boots walked away even with the bike spinning down the road. Again, what do i know, you've been riding far longer than me i'm sure and have far more experiance?
Original post by Lantana
Most begin with nothing.... but what do i know, i'm just a girl. How long ago did you start riding?

Your preaching to the wrong person. I've slide down the road in hiking boots walked away even with the bike spinning down the road. Again, what do i know, you've been riding far longer than me i'm sure and have far more experiance?

you should of said hiking boots then, instead of just boots. Strong motorcycles boots are designed to stop your ankle from braking by limiting how much it you ankle can twist. Also provides some shin protection. I'm not preaching to you just making a comment so that you don't enforce your bad habits on a individual who is inexperienced compared to you when it comes to riding, intern his chances of crashing will be greater so the stage of purchasing riding gear (made for its purpose) is very crucial.

Latest

Trending

Trending