Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is wrong with me?

Announcements Posted on

So basically i keep having "Depressive spells" where i will switch from being super happy to feeling like not going on any more i have no idea what is causing this. It used to happen once or twice but now its becoming more regular and im scared its going to escalate. I always feel tired, sad and angry at anything.

Any ideas?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know a huge amount about disorders, but if you are getting super happy and super sad, that would likely be bipolar? You can have the disorder being less strong as 'cyclothymia'. Have you looked at this condition?

I may have misunderstood the 'super happy' thing - you might not have been meaning mania or hypomania.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens to girls on their period O_O GOD it's so weird and scary.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried counselling? Anti-depressant's are not the way forward, it certainly hasn't helped with anyone I know who has been depressed.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollysarah)
    Have you tried counselling? Anti-depressant's are not the way forward, it certainly hasn't helped with anyone I know who has been depressed.
    They work with some people. I have a friend who now doesn't have to basically live inside a hospital. My step-uncle has been helped hugely by them. But they don't work with everyone.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    True but is drugs ever the best answer to anything?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollysarah)
    True but is drugs ever the best answer to anything?
    Some people have ****ed brain chemistry and need meds to even start counselling (I know a man who understands he's diseased, but he has a part of him separated from that fact that dismisses every single good thing, I would regard his inability to cheer up as biochemical in origin and worsened by living in a state of constant misery), some people are just upset over something, others yet are biochemically fine and have a decent life but may just not be happy with themselves. It depends on the needs of the individual.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seems normal to me, i had a phase of this between the ages of 14-16
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Following Schemilix, it's because in psychology we're still in the dark ages, words like "depression" are basically like a gnarled old 14th century physician telling people they have "the sweating sickness". There are myriad causes and depression may look similar but it may have completely different origins and prognoses.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It might be a bipolar disorder. The primary symptoms of bipolar disorder are periods of elevated or irritable mood accompanied by dramatic increases in energy, activity, and thinking. The illness has two (bi) strongly contrasting phases (polar): 1) bipolar mania or hypo-mania and 2) depression.

1) Bipolar mania or hypo-mania symptoms include:

Euphoria or irritability
    Excessive talk; racing thoughts
    Inflated self-esteem
    Unusual energy; less need for sleep
    Impulsiveness, a reckless pursuit of gratification (shopping sprees, impetuous travel, more and sometimes promiscuous sex, high-risk business investments, fast driving)

2) Bipolar depression/major depression symptoms include:

Depressed mood and low self-esteem
    Low energy levels and apathy
    Sadness, loneliness, helplessness, guilt
    Slow speech, fatigue, and poor coordination
    Insomnia or oversleeping
    Suicidal thoughts and feelings
    Poor concentration
    Lack of interest or pleasure in usual activities

(Original post by XXchachaXX)
    It might be a bipolar disorder. The primary symptoms of bipolar disorder are periods of elevated or irritable mood accompanied by dramatic increases in energy, activity, and thinking. The illness has two (bi) strongly contrasting phases (polar): 1) bipolar mania or hypo-mania and 2) depression.

1) Bipolar mania or hypo-mania symptoms include:

Euphoria or irritability
    Excessive talk; racing thoughts x
    Inflated self-esteem x
    Unusual energy; less need for sleep x
    Impulsiveness, a reckless pursuit of gratification (shopping sprees, impetuous travel, more and sometimes promiscuous sex, high-risk business investments, fast driving)

2) Bipolar depression/major depression symptoms include:

Depressed mood and low self-esteem x
    Low energy levels and apathy x
    Sadness, loneliness, helplessness, guilt x
    Slow speech, fatigue, and poor coordination
    Insomnia or oversleeping x
    Suicidal thoughts and feelings x
    Poor concentration x
    Lack of interest or pleasure in usual activities

Thank you for posting this i put an (x) next to the symptoms i suffer from it is looking like i might be bipolar

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.