Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cold sores...

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

I suffer from cold sores and they are so sore, itchy, spreadable and look extremely unattractive.

Apart from using ointments, are there any other techniques to get of these evil little things fast?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rackethead)
    Hey guys.

I suffer from cold sores and they are so sore, itchy, spreadable and look extremely unattractive.

Apart from using ointments, are there any other techniques to get of these evil little things fast?
    I think they are from the herpes simplex virus, which has no cure, it just remains dormant. They aren't harmful, the only problem is that since the virus is dormant and you can never predict when they might turn up.

Ointment is your only option.

Can I ask how old you were when you started getting them? Do you think you might have kissed someone who had a cold sore.

I have never had one before and I really hope I never get the herpes simplex virus, I don't like the look of cold sores.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In fact, I have been having cold sores since I was just a baby. Yes, a baby and at that time I almost died. Now I get them twice a year. And I haven't recently kissed some with cold sores.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    In fact, I have been having cold sores since I was just a baby. Yes, a baby and at that time I almost died. Now I get them twice a year. And I haven't recently kissed some with cold sores.
    Oh no , why did you almost die? You must have been suffering from a very serious condition?

I think cold sore cream is your best bet. The good thing about some cold sore creams is that they do a good job in reducing the appearance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because it is extremely serious if babies have cold sore my mouth was black and blue with cold sores?!

Thank you so much for your advice!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because it is extremely serious if babies have cold sore my mouth was black and blue with cold sores?!

Thank you so much for your advice!!
    Awww, I just did a google search on babies and cold sores and I'm shocked that the herpes simplex virus is so dangerous that it can kill babies . Thank God you survived .

Try Zovirax. I remember my classmate at school came in with a cold sore in the morning and he bought some cream that afternoon. Within an hour it was barely visible. I don't know what the cream was called though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Zovirax is good especially hearing results like that! I'm also gonna take some paracetemol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You might have picked them up from your parents. They are extremely contagious, one can get them from coming in contact with anything used by someone with a cold sore (i.e. towel).
    Cold sores are extremely widespread. According to wikipedia about 50% of americans have it It is a virus one can't get rid of =(

So far there are no real ways of getting rid of them forever. There are some vaccines, but they haven't shown long lasting results. The only thing you can do is shorten the 'life span' of the sore by applying ointments containing acyclovir. You can also buy acyclovir in pill form but I think you might need a prescription for that. Surgical spirit is also used to dry them up but it often makes them dry too fast and they can start bleeding on top of everything else.
    The sores come out during stress(both physical and psychological), basically when your immune system is weakened. The only thing you can do is try to eat healthy, remain stress free, sleep well etc.

I get terrible cold sores. They are so big, I try to avoid leaving the house (it's so bad I even had to find a job where I can work from home). I haven't had one since summer but I know they will come back eventually and torture me =/

Most people I know get really tiny sores so be careful not to kiss anyone with one. It can trigger your virus to activate. When anyone in my family gets one, I sterilise everything before touching it and wash the dishes 2-3 times to avoid getting one. It might sound extreme, but my lips get so swollen from sores I can barely brush my teeth let alone show my face to anyone..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The most effective treatment is oral medication - valacyclovir or acyclovir taken as soon as you feel the first tingle. These are anti-viral drugs and this usually stops the outbreak developing.

You can't get them over the counter, but if you get bad cold sores, you can get them from your doctor. They can be bought OTC in other countries like Spain, I think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been affected by them since I was a baby too
    Tea tree oil's quite good, if you put a bit on them it helps to dry them out and they heal faster
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yea I get them bad too. They suck, and mine always get infected, no matter how clean I am or how careful I am not to touch them.

My tips:
    - be careful in the sun. Especially if it is cold and windy too. I always get them in the mountains because of this combination. Wear suncream/sun block around your mouth/ on your nose.
    - don't touch it!!!! even if it is just itching and hasn't appeared yet. Totally makes them worse.
    - eat Vit. C. and get some extra sleep to boost your immune system if you have one.
    - I actually find Carmex works better than the antiviral creams for me. Just keep slathering it on all the time.
    - Those little clear patches from Boots work quite well, especially in the early stages.
    - If it is really annoying you, hold an ice cube against it for a while. Seems to reduce inflammation and pain.

If you get them a lot, it's often a sign there is something wrong with your immune system and you should talk to your doctor about it. I have an underactive thyroid, that's why my immune system is weaker then most people's. If you are tired all the time/gain weight easily you might have it too, it's actually quite common.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ive tried everything on the market, I hate these ugly things. The only thing that seems to work for my cold sores is maintaining a strict diet and supplementing with lysine pills called lipafix and taking centrum
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pick your immune system up. Less stress, more exercise, less crap food, more proboitics/spices/garlic and see if that helps.

I know a guy who suffered from cold sores a lot and after using a particular lip balm he no longer has them. PM me if you want pointing towards it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So I graduated on the 14th September. Had a really ugly sore one then. It's now 9th October and since graduating I'm now currently on my 5th one.

It's driving me crazy.

I've had job interviews and bit of stress at work and with money.

What's wrong!?

This week, one popped up Sunday morning and today another one has popped up.

I've always been prone to them since I was young, not as a baby though, but never THIS bad.

Help ;-(

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: October 9, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.