The Student Room Group

I don't believe that I was born gay

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Otkem
If you could have been arsed to read my OP, I simply said that I do not believe that I was born gay, and then stated that I had no evidence of this. I then criticised the people who will not tolerate any other viewpoint. I made no criticism of their viewpoint, as I said that mine was a belief rather than a proven fact.

Nope. You actually said nothing about evidence

Infact you said otherwise
'Had I been brought up in a masculine household, I've no doubt that I would be far more attracted to women than I am at the moment'
You stating this means you have no doubt your view is true.

Learn to read your own posts before telling others to do so.
the fact that you've been raised by mostly females has nothing to do with your sexuality. it is a fact that men who were brought up surrounded by women are more sensitive and shy than those who were not. but you're wrong to say that if you had been brought up by males, you would be more attracted to women than you are now. sexuality is a very subjective matter. it is not just black and white. there are people who are only attracted by the opposite sex, people who are attracted by both but prefer the same, people who are attracted by both but prefer the opposite, people who re only attracted by the same sex, etc. i do believe it's partly genetic, but of course nothing is proven yet.
Reply 22
You say it's "part of who you are" well to me that suggests you were born that way.
Reply 23
Original post by Tommyjw
Nope. You actually said nothing about evidence

Infact you said otherwise
'Had I been brought up in a masculine household, I've no doubt that I would be far more attracted to women than I am at the moment'
You stating this means you have no doubt your view is true.

Learn to read your own posts before telling others to do so.

I firmly believe it, like Christians have no doubt that God is real. And?

Where was I criticising the viewpoint that homosexuality is genetic?
Reply 24
im gay and i dont think i would feel more attracted to women if i were brought up in a more masculine family
Reply 25
Original post by Otkem
I firmly believe it, like Christians have no doubt that God is real. And?

So you are therefor admitting you are being hypocritical when implying otheres sticking to their view is a negative aspect

:facepalm2:

Jesus, im done, the trolling is just too dam bad.
Reply 26
Original post by morecambebay
What about gay men who grew up in very 'masculine' households? what is your theory for them?

Numerous factors go into forging what sexuality someone identifies as in adulthood. Just like absolutely everything else we are, there can be genetic or pre-natal predispositions to a certain physical or mental state, which will then be encouraged or discouraged by countless complex social, environmental and lifestyle factors leading to final resultant phenotype.

The idea that sexuality is rigidly fixed from birth is not at all scientifically supported, nor does it even make sense if you consider what sexuality even is or means. It's basically come about because, as noted above, gay rights campaigns unfortunately felt that they had to "justify" being gay by claiming that all influences leading to it were completely out of anyone's control and that sexual preferences are unique among all human characteristics in being utterly unaffected by external forces. While making no sense, and being quite unnecessary to claim, all the pro-gay people (the majority of youngish people today) have taken the idea and ran with it.
Original post by Otkem
OK, so I don't have conclusive proof of this.

Ever since I've grown up I've been around female influences. I have one sister and 3 female cousins and an auntie who lived with us for 3 years when I was around 8 or 9, and therefore had a very feminine upbringing in terms of the influences around me. Had I been brought up in a masculine household, I've no doubt that I would be far more attracted to women than I am at the moment (I'm bisexual, but tend to prefer men over women). I'm not saying that my sexuality is a bad thing. It's part of who I am, whether I like it or not and I don't see why I should be defined by it. I just don't like it when the militant homosexuals always come out in full force to say that homosexuality is genetic and will not listen to any other arguments, and then proceed to ridicule their opponent. I do not believe that I was born this way (despite what Lady Gaga may say), and that is an opinion I hold.

What are your thoughts?

my thoughts are that, like almost everything else about humans, it is a function of both genetics and environmental factors, and not exclusively either.
Reply 28
Original post by Tommyjw
So you are therefor admitting you are being hypocritical when implying otheres sticking to their view is a negative aspect

:facepalm2:

Jesus, im done, the trolling is just too dam bad.

What? You're making no sense (as usual).

I hold a firm belief, and stated my belief, but did not force it down anyone's throat or denounce anyone who holds a different opinion as narrow-minded and judgemental (unlike a lot of my opposition).
Reply 29
Can you appreciate that more than one factor could be at play?
Reply 30
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
I was brought up in a househld with a mum and dad so me and my sister are both bi! :smile:

No, wait, im straight and shes gay because you dont have a choice >.>

LOL! I personally believe, even though there is not enough evidence for it etc, etc... that you are born gay, straight or bi. Their are gay people in countries that pass rules to kill gays. And yet they can't help the fact that they are gay. So yeaahh. I believe in some cases it could also be down to the environment you live in though.
Darren Criss didn't 'turn' gay due to his upbringing though so... http://www.towleroad.com/2010/11/darren-criss-i-define-myself-as-a-straight-male.html
im sure you and DYKWIA are the most virulent homophobes on this site though :lulwot:
Well I went to a single sex school - with my own gender obviously - for 7 years and I had a sibling of the same gender who I've grown up with all my life. I'm gay.

But by your theory i.e. 'having more influences of your own gender in your life = straight', then I ought to be as straight as a ruler. But I'm rather the opposite. So, make little theories about your own sexuality all you like if that makes you feel more comfortable with yourself, but don't apply it to the rest of us because a lot of us don't feel the need to justify ourselves.

I don't believe that my upbringing made me gay. I never had any traumatic experience that 'triggered' it. I've always just been this way for as long as I remember and it only became upsetting when I started to realise that some people think people like myself are abhorent and unnatural. I've never had a problem with the way I am - it's other people who have made me uncomfortable.
personally,( and i am bisexual) i feel both genetics and environment play a role, but they are so intricately linked that there is no way it could be a "choice" as such, and historically despite psychologists trying there is no way of changing from being gay. so i do think it is irrelevant whether it is down to genetics or not, plus impossible to tell. also i dont get your problem with "militant" gays as you call them, surely all they want is to be not be discriminated against and what is wrong with that?
Reply 34
Original post by Anonymous
Well I went to a single sex school - with my own gender obviously - for 7 years and I had a sibling of the same gender who I've grown up with all my life. I'm gay.

But by your theory i.e. 'having more influences of your own gender in your life = straight', then I ought to be as straight as a ruler. But I'm rather the opposite. So, make little theories about your own sexuality all you like if that makes you feel more comfortable with yourself, but don't apply it to the rest of us because a lot of us don't feel the need to justify ourselves.

I don't believe that my upbringing made me gay. I never had any traumatic experience that 'triggered' it. I've always just been this way for as long as I remember and it only became upsetting when I started to realise that some people think people like myself are abhorent and unnatural. I've never had a problem with the way I am - it's other people who have made me uncomfortable.

You might be indenial boy but students who attend single sex school a high percentage of those students turn out to be gay.

I agree with OP, no one is born gay its a mentality they choose to take, not naturally given when born.
Original post by Cura
You might be indenial boy but students who attend single sex school a high percentage of those students turn out to be gay.

I agree with OP, no one is born gay its a mentality they choose to take, not naturally given when born.

What do you mean 'in denial' - I said I am gay. Or do you mean I must be in denial that I'm straight?

I didn't 'choose' to be gay at all. I'm not attracted to women in the slightest - how is that a choice? If you dislike turkish delight is that a choice? NO - you just don't like it. The choice is whether or not to force yourself to eat it regardless of whether you like it or not - but why would you? Same with me and women - I don't feel attracted so I won't force myself to be in a relationship with a woman? I'd be miserable and so would she. And yes, I have tried it so I know.
How can one identical twin be gay and the other straight?

I don't believe it's genetic.
Reply 37
The OP doesn't seem to hold a hypocritical view, neither is he imposing his view on other people. He isn't saying that all people are not born gay, just himself. People often view nature and nurture as two mutually exclusive categories, which seems far too reductionist to me. People are born with certain dispositions, which the environment then acts upon. Even genetics are not set in stone at conception - genes can be turned on or off by the presence or absence of certain genetic factors. Take the example of the development of language, our genetic make up allows the capacity for its development, but certain environmental stimuli must be present during the critical period for that capacity to become actuality. Another common misconception is that things that are caused by nurture are also necessarily down to choice.
I think, like most things, sexuality is determined by an interaction between biological factors (genetics, and biochemical conditions in the womb and after birth) and environmental factors (such as the niche you must take in your family). I highly doubt that sexuality is ever, at least directly, chosen by the individual. That said, I think sexuality can be determined from a very young age. I myself am a lesbian, and for as long as I can remember I have been very butch (not that all homosexual people are gender nonconformists by any means, but a lot (75%) of people who were gender nonconformists in childhood grow up to be gay).
(edited 12 years ago)
I also Don't belive that you are born gay, lesbian or bisexual, i belive that in most circumstances it is your upbringing and peergroup. i also don't belive its a decision, just because something is who you re dosent mean that you were born that way.
woow a homosexual admits that it was their choice and all the liberals/atheist/homo lovers want to portray this person a liar? honestly stop being so biased! where this to be a homosexual claiming he was born this way(excuse the pun i loathe gaga) you all will be jumping up and down promoting this person! STOP BEING BIASED!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending